Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has installed the full back rest pad on an aftermarket chopped tour pack?

No premarked holes so I guess I will have to put some paint or something on the studs and hope for the best? Only 3 studs for mounting the pad.

Looking for any ideas on how to make it easier and less chance of messing up or having to drill multiple holes...

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
G’day Davegr,

Make your own template

1. Get a piece of cardboard
line it up with the backrest with a straight edge in line with the top or bottom edge
2. Mark the bolt holes on the cardboard and outline the outer edge of the backrest
3. Hold the cardboard with the straight edge aligned on the box with the outer edges in the position you want them
4. Mark the holes spots on the box
5. Put tape over the marks (this will prevent splitting when you drill it)
6. Align the cardboard again & remark your drill spots
7. Drill away, use a pilot first then increase the drill size gradually up to the bolt size reguired
8. Remove the tape
9. Attach your backrest

Cheers Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G’day Davegr,

Make your own template

line it up with the backrest with a straight edge in line with the top or bottom edge
2. Mark the bolt holes on the cardboard and outline the outer edge of the backrest
3. Hold the cardboard with the straight edge aligned on the box with the outer edges in the position you want them
7. Drill away, use a pilot first then increase the drill size gradually up to the bolt size reguired
8. Remove the tape
9. Attach your backrest

Cheers Tom

Thank you! I will do just that

·
Registered
19 Posts
G’day Davegr,

Make your own template

8. Remove the tape
9. Attach your backrest

Cheers Tom

Thank you! I will do just that

This is exactly what I did last night. Was pretty nervous but it turned out fine. Just take your time and make sure everything is lined up right. My top hole is right where the top tether screw was. It probably could’ve been 1/8 inch lower.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Good tip about the tape… Definitely run tape over the paint to protect it when drilling, you can put the marks on the tape. I used the blue painters tape and it worked well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts