Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4,500 on the rear and they are the noisiest piece of shits . ran the stock ones .replaced at 10 k and 20k . decided to save a few dollars and bought 4 sets. I changed the front and rear both at 20k and the rear sound like they are metal on metal. so I pulled them and inspected them. they look like the other unused ones I have.
maybe a bad set?
I think I will trash this set and put another on as I have them.
just curious if any others have the same complaint.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
4,500 on the rear and they are the noisiest piece of shits . ran the stock ones .replaced at 10 k and 20k . decided to save a few dollars and bought 4 sets. I changed the front and rear both at 20k and the rear sound like they are metal on metal. so I pulled them and inspected them. they look like the other unused ones I have.
maybe a bad set?
I think I will trash this set and put another on as I have them.
just curious if any others have the same complaint.
Are you cleaning the calipers up real good when changing pads ? If they don't slide off the rotor they're going to make noise. Also , use brake quiet on the back of the pads to helps reduce noise.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I took them off to inspect them I did dab on some of that brake goop on them. I have the bike on the jack now and bags off as I am cleaning the wheels so tomorrow night I will change the pads and hope for the best.its only 5 minutes but I hate throwing money away.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Clean the calipers and the pistons well. I grease the pins in the calipers, and I use that red monkey snot ant-squeak stuff on the back of the pads. I love the EBC HH Sintered pads. Not a lot of dust and they really bite well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Had the ebc's, squealed like crazy, went back to the over priced Harley pads.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I have a set of EBC semi sintered on the shelf that I'm gonna install when I get back home. Plan to anti squeek grease the back of the pads and pins

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just took them apart again. cleaned them. greased them .
put them back on. its raining. try it tomorrow. if they make noise again, oem go back on.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I use Permatex synthetic disc brake lube on the back of the disc brake pads and that eliminates the squeaking.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I've been using $7 D2Moto sintered pads with zero issues. I was very skeptical about them at first because I thought how can $7 brake pads be good! I like them so much I bought 9 sets of them because they always run out of stock. I also use a brake silicone on the back of the pads and caliper pins, basically anywhere the pads touch the calipers I will apply a very thin coating of the silicone. Just don't get any on the pad surface or the rotor. They stop the same as stock pads and have WAY much less brake dust. Oh and no noise either

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I've been using $7 D2Moto sintered pads with zero issues. I was very skeptical about them at first because I thought how can $7 brake pads be good! I like them so much I bought 9 sets of them because they always run out of stock.
Ralf you are a disc brake pad HOG! No wonder I can't get the D2moto brake pads anymore. :wink:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I just went ahead and go the kevlar pads from d2moto.18 bucks for 3 sets.Put em on,quiet as can be.For that price,I can change em twice as often,and they're better on the rotor.

Reactions: rlaf75

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Ralf you are a disc brake pad HOG! No wonder I can't get the D2moto brake pads anymore. :wink:
I was thinking the same thing. :)

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
They sell out fast without me hoarding them that's why I bought as many as I did.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well I took the bike for a ride............................right to the dealer.
bought the oem pads and put them on right there in the parking lot.:grin:
threw those piece of crap away. now I still have 2 sets which are for the front. when needed I will put them on. if and when they piss me off, in the trash they will go.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
well I took the bike for a ride............................right to the dealer.
bought the oem pads and put them on right there in the parking lot.:grin:
threw those piece of crap away. now I still have 2 sets which are for the front. when needed I will put them on. if and when they piss me off, in the trash they will go.
The front and rear disc brake pads are the same pads. The reason for different part numbers is because the rear pads come with disc brake lube and the front does not.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
The front and rear disc brake pads are the same pads. The reason for different part numbers is because the rear pads come with disc brake lube and the front does not.
Why no lube up front ? I lube all.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The rears also come with a thin plastic stick on thingy as well. It's sticks onto the back of the pad.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Why no lube up front ? I lube all.
You should lube all. I use the lube anywhere there's metal to metal contact with the pads and caliper front and rear. The brake noise doesn't happen from just pad to rotor contact. You pick up some harmonics from all metal to metal surfaces

Reactions: Big_gary
1 - 18 of 18 Posts