Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at modular and full face helmets. Leaning towards the Simpson mod bandit. Definitely more than I want to spend but definitely like the looks of it and all options. During my search I have found a Simpson darksome helmet. From what I can find it is àn identical helmet but only comes with the ece rating.
The ece rating is actually better than the dot rating. The dot helmet is 499 the ece helmet is 325. So does anyone ride in the US with a ece rated helmet and if so what are the chances of having issues with the law?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
Looking at modular and full face helmets. Leaning towards the Simpson mod bandit. Definitely more than I want to spend but definitely like the looks of it and all options. During my search I have found a Simpson darksome helmet. From what I can find it is àn identical helmet but only comes with the ece rating.
The ece rating is actually better than the dot rating. The dot helmet is 499 the ece helmet is 325. So does anyone ride in the US with a ece rated helmet and if so what are the chances of having issues with the law?

I would more be worried about the insurance coverage; without the dot marking they could eventually refuse cover you because you used a non homologated device.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would more be worried about the insurance coverage; without the dot marking they could eventually refuse cover you because you used a non homologated device.
Yes there could be an issue but an ece rated helmet is actually tested to better standards than a dot helmet. A dot helmet is not necessarily tested, it is on the honor system of the manufacturer. Then if the dot does test it and it fails there are fines up to $5000 per helmet they sold. To pass ece testing, they are given 50 helmets of the manufacturing line and tested for compliance. I would be more worried about insurance issues if wearing a novelty helmet. But I do see your point.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
A while back a group of us were stopped, the HPDO was looking for that DOT sticker, one didn't have it and got a ticket, don't remember the state (maybe CO) but that could be a concern?

Check your state's laws....or where you normally ride.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Yes there could be an issue but an ece rated helmet is actually tested to better standards than a dot helmet. A dot helmet is not necessarily tested, it is on the honor system of the manufacturer. Then if the dot does test it and it fails there are fines up to $5000 per helmet they sold. To pass ece testing, they are given 50 helmets of the manufacturing line and tested for compliance. I would be more worried about insurance issues if wearing a novelty helmet. But I do see your point.

We build pressure vessels for wells and such. Anything that we build to ship to anywhere in Europe has to be run in our CE tester. Anything we sell you here in the US gets 110psi test. European gets 180psi test that records a serial number to that vessel and then is uploaded to a database in Europe.

So absolutely believe that the CE is a better and more regulated inspection/certification.

My TCX riding shoes are CE rated. Made in Italy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts