Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each generation of bikes brings new challanges. The relationship between ECM/BCM grows. EPA, manufactures all play a part in making it harder to modify the electronics. The so called TIP or BAS. is one. Over the years we found ways to disable the BAS when building a trike or Sidecar rig. After 2017/18 they made changes aging that make it harder to change some settings. BAS is one but there are more.
Daytona VTwin has a scan tool that allows a long list of tools to make the ECM/BCM do what you want and allows you to fix issues. But it is now limited to 2018 for many functions. they are trying to wright a work around.
Centurion makes a great system also The top end one is about $1500. The License or Pay per-bike is around $400. As of now they claim theirs allows all the options up to and including 2020. They are working like mad to get it ready for the 2021 changes.
The pay thing is yearly. But there are many functions that you can use with out paying. Like cycling ABS bleeding ect. In my case I really want to have the ability to enable and disable the BAS. I am waiting for them to call me one more time and clear up any question it will do what I want on a 2020. When that happens I will have one.
I have had it with dealerships telling me can't do this or that when I do darn well it can be done. Anyone have this unit and input I am listening.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Okay, I'm honestly curious... Why would you need/want to disable the Bank Angle Sensor on a trike/sidecar, if it really can't do anything at that point anyway? ...Or can it in some fashion I'm not thinking of?

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I'm honestly curious... Why would you need/want to disable the Bank Angle Sensor on a trike/sidecar, if it really can't do anything at that point anyway? ...Or can it in some fashion I'm not thinking of?
Common mistake many make thinking it is a tip that activates the BAS. It it force and energy that does it much more than just a switch that says it went over to far, With a trike or sidecar taking corners will activate the BAS. On a sidecar or trike it trip it even on normal curves. In BAS for some time they refer to the disabling as trike mode.
Another reason why they do not refer to it as a TIP anymore but a Bank angle sensor

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Each generation of bikes brings new challanges. The relationship between ECM/BCM grows. EPA, manufactures all play a part in making it harder to modify the electronics. The so called TIP or BAS. is one. Over the years we found ways to disable the BAS when building a trike or Sidecar rig. After 2017/18 they made changes aging that make it harder to change some settings. BAS is one but there are more.
Daytona VTwin has a scan tool that allows a long list of tools to make the ECM/BCM do what you want and allows you to fix issues. But it is now limited to 2018 for many functions. they are trying to wright a work around.
Centurion makes a great system also The top end one is about $1500. The License or Pay per-bike is around $400. As of now they claim theirs allows all the options up to and including 2020. They are working like mad to get it ready for the 2021 changes.
The pay thing is yearly. But there are many functions that you can use with out paying. Like cycling ABS bleeding ect. In my case I really want to have the ability to enable and disable the BAS. I am waiting for them to call me one more time and clear up any question it will do what I want on a 2020. When that happens I will have one.
I have had it with dealerships telling me can't do this or that when I do darn well it can be done. Anyone have this unit and input I am listening.
I have the Daytona unit, but I have not used it yet. 99% of my use for it is brake flushing. And as far as code reading goes, both of my scooters are incompatible with it. Tmax uses it own software for that.

Here's a look at the two BCM related screens

As far as the dealers turning the Bank sensor off, they can, its a simple switch used when installing new parts. What they are saying is that they wont.

A lot of dealer techs these days are so tied to the Harley bible, that they don't see the rest of the world. They see a setting that says trike, and you don't have a trike, so they can't do it with out sinning against the gods in Milwaukie. Harley doesn't see fit to offer a side car, so they are unwilling to help you put your own on the scooter. And to be fair, there are probably some good legal reason why they shouldn't, starting with the EPA cert for a scooter with a side car being non existent.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh. Learned something new every day.
It has been that way for some time. Was not a big deal because it was easy to get around it. That is getting harder.
I have the Daytona unit, but I have not used it yet. 99% of my use for it is brake flushing. And as far as code reading goes, both of my scooters are incompatible with it. Tmax uses it own software for that.

Here's a look at the two BCM related screens

View attachment 422304

View attachment 422305

As far as the dealers turning the Bank sensor off, they can, its a simple switch used when installing new parts. What they are saying is that they wont.

A lot of dealer techs these days are so tied to the Harley bible, that they don't see the rest of the world. They see a setting that says trike, and you don't have a trike, so they can't do it with out sinning against the gods in Milwaukie. Harley doesn't see fit to offer a side car, so they are unwilling to help you put your own on the scooter. And to be fair, there are probably some good legal reason why they shouldn't, starting with the EPA cert for a scooter with a side car being non existent.
That unit will not work past 2018. It will allow you to shut it off but it will just rest it's self every time . They are working on a way around it but don't expect anything for some time. I was on the phone with them again yesterday It will not work on the 2020.
Disabling the 2017 was simple . Things change.
Many of the other function of that unit will still work. Most effected ones are for BCM

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Compete body harness and ECM harness swap?
Not in my case for the 2020. Just use the Centurion to disable it . The same as it was done on my 2017 . But I need the Centurion to do it. Hannigan has their own. I want the ability to do it myself.
And I want the ABS bleed .
Daytona's unit will not do what I need on the 2020. Yet, they are still working on it.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well tried to order the Centurion late today but it was to late by time we got home. Took Payton to Catechism class and PT . So get at it again tomorrow. They confirmed it will work with the 2020.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
So, what will happen if you left it alone and put on the side car?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Basically the g force of turning a corner on a bike that won’t lean trips the thing and the bike thinks you are crashing and it shuts off. If you have never riden a three wheeler they really try to toss you out of the seat. Think of taking an on ramp too fast in a car. Feel how it smushes you in the seat. That’s what trips the sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Yet, they are still working on it.
i wouldn't be holding my breath for them. when i talked to them the other day, he said "4 or 5 months". he also said that their stuff wouldn't work on the m8. the m8 has been out for 3+ years now and they still don't have it working? sounds like it's going to be like that bar sign, 'free beer tomorrow'. though, if they want their business to survive, they'd better hurry up.

Reactions: smitty901

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i wouldn't be holding my breath for them. when i talked to them the other day, he said "4 or 5 months". he also said that their stuff wouldn't work on the m8. the m8 has been out for 3+ years now and they still don't have it working? sounds like it's going to be like that bar sign, 'free beer tomorrow'. though, if they want their business to survive, they'd better hurry up.
Yes Daytona was not an option for me . Centurion will be my purchase.
I maybe way off on this . HD CEO wants $40K touring bikes limited inventory and the move to lock the bikes down more and more by both EPA and factory the need to get into ECM and BCM will grow. As more learn to do it, take the hit and buy the equipment they may well hold on to bikes they know longer.
Had the 2017 not been totaled I would not be on a 2020. If I could have found a 2017 low miles and reasonable price . I would have replaced it with a 2017.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So, what will happen if you left it alone and put on the side car?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
When you go into curves it will shut down as if you tipped the bike bike over. You can get away with real soft riding but not an option. We experimented with it when the twin classic was installed on the 2017.
We wanted to know if the larger car would have any effect. It shut it down .

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The deed is done hit send key on the Centurion. Dealer package pay per bike. Meaning I have full function for my bike $34 dollars a year. Many of the functions work with out the license .
It made sense to go this route for $447 with first license rather than $1500.
I will say their purchase process is a bit of a run around . But got it figured out. Next step wait for delivery.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fast once they have your money . Tracking they sent now say it will be here Monday by 9pm.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The centurion was waiting here when I arrived home. Fist I need to do the software update the figure out how to use all this stuff.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Centurion . May need to start a thread for those interested in this tool. I am sure there are many here that have used one.
Woke up at 0300 decided to update the software. Download the technoResearch software 250MB. Painless install on computer. Open software with unit plugged into USB and it ran a short 22MB update.
Couple minutes looking at software pasted License in . I want to do a little more self educating before I plugging it into the bike.
It is clear the tool is years ahead of my skill level and my needs but that is ok. I will learn what I need.
Pretty much their claim is it will do anything HD can do. Freedom from being a slave to HD has to be a good thing IMO.
Time for a pot of coffee and be ready to get Payton ready and to school.

This is the Kit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts