Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I GOT MY BIKE TUNED AT RC CYCLES BUT MY ECM BROKE AND BY BROKE I MEAN IT BROKE THE SHOP SAID ITS NORMAL IT HAPPENS LOL I NEVER HEARD OF IT! BUT ANYWAYS WARRANTY IS TAKING CARE OF THAT. BUT I HAD A TUNER SERT. RC still has my map saved so they say bring the bike and ur SERT and they will happily load the map for me again. some one told me it will not work!!!! i hope it does but i wont find out for a day or so.. SO im asking here, does the tuner pair to the VIN in the ECM or the ECM it self if its the ECM its self my old one that is broke is gone now and i think im screwd. but if the new ECM when put into my bike will read MY vin and i will be okay RIGHT??? I DONT KNOW!!! HELP ME PLEASE! has someone done this before? or am i out 501.00 OTD for a new SERT?

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Never heard of the ECM going bad because of a tune. I would call the HD dealer to verify if your SERT can be used on the new ECM. If you have to buy a new SERT you may want to consider just going to a T-Max auto tuner. You can get the T-Max auto tuner from Frank @ Dragos for a real good price. The T-Max auto tuner replaces your stock HD ECM and mounts right in the same location as the stock HD ECM does. Another bonus with the T-Max is you will never need to dyno tune your bike again no matter what performance upgrades you put in.

·
EFI tuning and Exhaust Expert
815 Posts
Race Tuner is locked/married to your ECM not just the VIN, if ECM is replaced you will need a new Race Tuner as well

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hopefully the Dealer replaces the dongle no charge! Maybe Bob L was only referring to reflashing, but he's been around long enough I'd expect him not to be completely oblivious about this.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
All flash type tuners marry to the ECM. If the ECM dies or is replaced, the tuning device is lost. I would talk to the dealer that installed it originally to see if they might cut you a deal on a new one, but they are not obligated to do so. If your dyno tuner has the correct tune on file and is willing to reload it to the new unit, that would still be your cheapest solution with the warranty covering the replacement ECM.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If your going to have to get a new SE Tuner and using Bob to tune your bike...You may want to get the TTS as Bob has great results tuning with TTS.

I have a 2012 FLTRX that he tuned and walked away with 89HP and 110 TQ.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So here's my problem bob said no charge to put my map back in to the Ecm cuz he said iv already been charged for it. Well if I change tuners then he needs to make a new map with the tts n that's an additional charge. Niw if the old tuner works with the new Ecm then no charge but frim the comments its looking like ima going to get a call from rc here shortly saying hey bring us a new SERT witch is like 501.00 lol that iv already spend lol. And the old ECM didn't faik due to the tuner I was told it broke probabky from the vibration. (Never doing wheelies again) lol

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
So here's my problem bob said no charge to put my map back in to the Ecm cuz he said iv already been charged for it. Well if I change tuners then he needs to make a new map with the tts n that's an additional charge. Niw if the old tuner works with the new Ecm then no charge but frim the comments its looking like ima going to get a call from rc here shortly saying hey bring us a new SERT witch is like 501.00 lol that iv already spend lol. And the old ECM didn't faik due to the tuner I was told it broke probabky from the vibration. (Never doing wheelies again) lol
Get a hold of Frank @ Dragos. It will only cost you a bit more for a T-Max auto tuner and Frank will put in the base map for you. Then all you do is put the T-Max ECM module in where the factory ECM sits and plug in the factory ECM harness and do the 18mm o2 sensors then ride the bike for 30 miles and the bike is tuned. With the T-Max you won't ever need a dyno tune again. I don't buy the vibration line either my bike shakes like a nun in a whore house and the ECM never broke.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't even have 501 for the pro tuner from harley let alone a tmax. Plus I heard the dealership can't diagnosis the bike if there's a different ecm in there. Is that true???

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I don't even have 501 for the pro tuner from harley let alone a tmax. Plus I heard the dealership can't diagnosis the bike if there's a different ecm in there. Is that true???
You can access and clear all DTC codes with the T-Max that you can with the stock HD ECM using the same procedures through the speedometer/odometer. You can also link the T-Max module to your PC and access the DTC and you can also make changes to your basic setting such as rev limiter, idle setting etc, etc and you can make adjustments to the timing and AFR if you want. You can also take a data collection and send the info in to T-Max support by email and they can tell you how the bike is running and if you need adjustments to your bike, they can make custom maps for you too. I have the stage IV in my bike and after 3 dyno tunes with poor results I put in the T-Max and the T-Max tunes my bike better then the dyno tune ever did. I did have a starting issue a while back and I thought it was the tuner but it turned out to be the ACRs in the bike. By the time you buy a stock ECM and the SERT you have more invested then a T-Max would cost and if you don't load a SERT into the new ECM you can sell the ECM and recover some of your cost.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont understand the ecm deal either and harley said its here and they would be happy to show it to me and let me inspect it but bottom line is that ron at rc called and said bring him a new tuner and hell put the map back in that i already had and loved. so thats what i did i just wish that it didnt cost me to do it. but i love my tune and the way it runs so it is what it is. if any one has the question of tuner to ecm i will let me know as first hand experience they do not un pair or pair to any others lol. damn harley!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well I knew the old dongle wouldn't pair with the new ECM. But my ASSumption was that Harley or the dealer would have some way to get you a replacement dongle that you could then pair with your new ECM. Then your old tune could be flashed without issue. I'm just surprised (probably shoudnt be) that you had to buy a brand freakin new dongle at full price.... that's total crap.

I wonder what the cost to replace a TTS dongle would have cost in this case. It seems good faith discount of some sort would apply. Dynojet would cost $199 or less to pair a Power Vision to the new ECM.

·
EFI tuning and Exhaust Expert
815 Posts
Well I knew the old dongle wouldn't pair with the new ECM. But my ASSumption was that Harley or the dealer would have some way to get you a replacement dongle that you could then pair with your new ECM. Then your old tune could be flashed without issue. I'm just surprised (probably shoudnt be) that you had to buy a brand freakin new dongle at full price.... that's total crap.

I wonder what the cost to replace a TTS dongle would have cost in this case. It seems good faith discount of some sort would apply. Dynojet would cost $199 or less to pair a Power Vision to the new ECM.
If there is an ECM failure on a Power Vision equipped bike Dynojet will remarry the PV to the new ECM for no charge.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had the ECM go out on my 05 Fatboy, it had been SERT tuned and instead of getting another SERT I swapped to a FM Tuner (PCIII). The SERT marries to the ECM

·
Registered
125 Posts
...... BUT ANYWAYS WARRANTY IS TAKING CARE OF THAT. BUT I HAD A TUNER SERT.......
I assume your talking Harley Warranty?
Not meaning to hijack the thread but think real hard before changing anything to do with tune or ecm you can't change back YOURSELF while on the road.....
Your dealer is sure a lot more lenient than any Harley Dealer I have dealt with.
At best I think you would find most other dealers would deny ANY warranty and maybe even flag the bike in system if you put a replacement non harley ecm in it.
Changing the tune to anything other than an oem Harley tune is grounds enough to kill the warranty. All good while your dealing at YOUR dealer. Maybe a different story on the road....
Pretty sure it was clause 8? in the small print on the back of the Harley ESP warranty I bought that states if you change the TIRE SIZE, IT WILL VOID THE WHOLE EXTENDED WARRANTY..... Really. Tire size. Whole warranty void.
How did I find that out? My dealer was "nice enough" to warn me to "not show up for warranty work without switching that rear tire back to a stock size"......
I went home and read all the fine print.
I have a PV on my bike. I re-flash the shitty Harley Stage 1 tune and pull the PV prior to going to dealer for ANYTHING.
Again, not meaning to jack the thread but just concerned for ya......

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
I assume your talking Harley Warranty?
Not meaning to hijack the thread but think real hard before changing anything to do with tune or ecm you can't change back YOURSELF while on the road.....
Your dealer is sure a lot more lenient than any Harley Dealer I have dealt with.
At best I think you would find most other dealers would deny ANY warranty and maybe even flag the bike in system if you put a replacement non harley ecm in it.
Changing the tune to anything other than an oem Harley tune is grounds enough to kill the warranty. All good while your dealing at YOUR dealer. Maybe a different story on the road....
Pretty sure it was clause 8? in the small print on the back of the Harley ESP warranty I bought that states if you change the TIRE SIZE, IT WILL VOID THE WHOLE EXTENDED WARRANTY..... Really. Tire size. Whole warranty void.
How did I find that out? My dealer was "nice enough" to warn me to "not show up for warranty work without switching that rear tire back to a stock size"......
I went home and read all the fine print.
I have a PV on my bike. I re-flash the shitty Harley Stage 1 tune and pull the PV prior to going to dealer for ANYTHING.
Again, not meaning to jack the thread but just concerned for ya......
I've heard about the tire deal, but refer to the Moss Magnuson act for the rest. When my bike was under warranty they tried me a couple of times because I have a TMax, when I mentioned Moss Magnuson they had a different approach. They still hated my TMax, but one of the problems was with my radio. ... really an ECM is going to destroy a radio, lol. Long story short, I had no more problems while the bike was under warranty. Also many Indies are Certified under ESP and will treat you better than some dealers.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I've heard about the tire deal, but refer to the Moss Magnuson act for the rest.
you can say 'magnusson moss act' all you want, but the truth of the matter is the esp (which is what the tire size change is about) is not a warranty so it does not fall under the mma.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts