Road Glide banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently activated the Engine Idle Temperature Management System. It seems to kick in a lot in moderate traffic. By deactivating this feature am I doing a disfavor to the longevity of my motor? Not sure that I like it kicking in all the time, than you have to blip the throttle to take off.

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
I recently activated the Engine Idle Temperature Management System. It seems to kick in a lot in moderate traffic. By deactivating this feature am I doing a disfavor to the longevity of my motor? Not sure that I like it kicking in all the time, than you have to blip the throttle to take off.
That's the whole idea behind it. It's anybody's guess on how much life you use up by not using the feature.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
you don't mention what year bike you have. they've changed the way the eitms works on the 2014 up bikes. where it used to kick in when the cylinder head temp reached a certain parameter, it now works off of ambient air temp. live in the south like i do and it'll be kicking in a lot.

'sokay though. once you get used to it, it really isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Mine is deactivated all the time. It's only for rider comfort, on or off will do nothing for engine longevity.

I don't like the way it sounds or feels when active.
Rider comfort is just the line of BULL that HD dishes out.
I leave mine off all the time too. The EITMS doesn't really benefit the engine or rider much and using it is riders discretion.
The EITMS uses the engine temp sensor in the front cylinder head to shut off the rear cylinder. The front cylinder head has to get up around 290 F degrees before the EITMS shut down the rear cylinder, this means that the rear cylinder is already hotter then 290 f degrees.
Since the engine is already hot and the rider is not comfortable because of the heat how can this be for rider comfort. The EITMS is there to help protect the rear cylinder of the engine from damage from heat and even though the rear cylinder is not firing causing combustion heat there is still friction heat being produced.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have mine and leave it on all the time. Work or not I don't know, but I do know that I have not burned my legs yet with my 2015 RGS like I did with my 2005 EGC. Man that bike got hot. Summer is coming so guess that will tell me if it is really working or not.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When I take temp readings with an IR temp gauge the rear cylinder head averages 55* hotter than the front cylinder head. If it doesn't kick on until the front gets to 290*, then you are looking at 340* roughly on the rear. Worth it to me to keep the EITMS on to cool that rear down. That's just me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You might be surprised at just how much pumping air through a cylinder can protect it. Some GM cars (others also, likely) can supposedly go 50 miles or more in reduced power mode with absolutely no coolant in the engine without damage.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bike is a 2015 RGS. It was off when I got the bike, HD may have turned it off when they dyno bikes. I personally thinks it's annoying especially riding two up. It's the slight hesitation just before take off. Anyway thanks for all of the replies and info....:)

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
My bike is a 2015 RGS. It was off when I got the bike, HD may have turned it off when they dyno bikes. I personally thinks it's annoying especially riding two up. It's the slight hesitation just before take off. Anyway thanks for all of the replies and info....:)
Give the throttle a Lil bump before you take off. It don't seem to be as noticeable on the 2 into 1 exhaust, at least for me. I leave mine on always.

Reactions: 168313

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would imagine if you are able to "ditch" the catalytic converter, and get a good Dyno tune you could lower the operating temperature of the rear cylinder by "richening" up the air : fuel ratio.

I've done this, and the EITMS has never turned on, and I live in Phoenix, AZ. It did, however, lower my MPG.

• Wow
Reactions: 168313
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.