Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home tonight I notice that while in sixth gear, the 6th gear light isn't on. Then the light & engine light come on. Uh oh. I look at my gauges and see my volts gauge pinned at 16! S**t. I slow down and the volts drop to 14 and the bike works again. But any hard acceleration and it happens. Again and again this happened as I limped home.

Before this happened I was white lining it in heavy NY traffic. Couldn't tell you what my gauges were reading as I had no time to look at them.

Anyone know what it means when the 6th light goes out, then come on with the engine light? I know it's concerning electricity, but that's about it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had this happen a few weeks ago. A little research here showed others having this issue and it ended up being a bad voltage regulator - a 'known' issue that is covered under warranty. I went in and had it looked at and they replaced the entire voltage regular and associated parts. While there they also diagnosed a funny noise in the primary (which I didn't even hear/notice) and they replaced that as well, also under warranty, also a known issue. My warranty is up in two weeks - or it was going to be... I just reupped if for two more years!

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
There has been issues with the voltage regulators. I believe there was a recall on them or at least a service bulletin about it. Let a dealer run your VIN to see if yours was one of the bikes involved

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke with Harley. The recall is now expired. But my bike wasn't in it anyway. They think the same as above that it is the regulator. I go tomorrow.
If I ride slow, which is very hard to do, I should be okay to make it to the stealership. Thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts