Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess you learn something new everyday. As I was riding back from Alabama the other day I went to honk my horn at a cager that was encroaching into my lane, ( I know, never happens right?) That's when I discovered that my horn wasn't working anymore (WOLO bad boy horn, purchased and installed 3 months ago). No biggy, Just rode through a torrential downpour so I thought perhaps the connection had gotten wet. Avoided the car and pressed on. Went to switch lanes and found that my blinkers weren't working either. Getting better and better. Tried the flashers - nope nothing there either. Well this sux, but I can still use hand signals right? OK get out of the city and go to set the cruise and nothing, nada, ain't happening. OK this is starting to get concerning as I still have 400 + miles to go, it's getting dark and I'm wondering what's gonna go next. I look at the fuel gauge and figure I've got another hundred miles or so so I decide to press on. Nothing else pops up so here I am riding a 13 road Glide Ultra with no horn, no blinkers, and no cruise. I'm trying to figure out what all three of these have in common and I can't figure it out. I stop for gas and discover that the brake light is gone as well. Crap! I still have headlights, tail lights, running lights, ignition and accessory power. the radio and associated systems are still functional so I decide to press on to the stop for the night in Dayton. I pull out the service manual at the hotel and think I figure out that it could either be the HFSM/TSSM, or almost anything else! I convince myself that it is the TSSM/HFSM and decide to get it checked out first thing in the am at the nearest dealer. At 930am I pull into Buckeye HD in Dayton and see that they don't open until 10. Crap! I try the door to the service area and it's open so I go inside to see if anyone's around. I run into a guy,m explain my predicament, that I'm passing through and want to get the bike checked out. "No Prob." he says, "I'll go get a service writer and we'll figure it out." Sweet! The shop isn't even open but they're willing to help me out. Long story short, turns out not to be the TSSM/HFSM but a 1.50 fuse. They only charge me for a half hour (standard rate for troubleshooting is 1 hour), replace the fuse and tell me that its the F*^king horn that is blowing the fuses! I leave it disconnected until I get home and hit the road. No further issues.

So, the take away from this adventure is Kudos and props to Buckeye HD for taking excellent care of a traveler and a big FU to WOLO Horns for their piece of crap, over priced horn!

Reactions: reds4

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Nice to hear a good story about a HD dealer. Glad to hear that your bike is fixed and that it wasn't anything serious.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Did they say WHY the horn is blowing the fuse? Do you need to run its own inline fuse in order for it to function properly?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Did you wire up that horn through a relay? That horn draws too much power to be plugged into the OEM horn circuit on most bikes.

Plus, those pocket air horns have to be protected from the rain.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That horn draws 18 amps! It needs to be fed from a fused lead from the battery through a relay that is controlled by the stock horn circuit. I would use 14ga wire.

I attached a generic diagram. Substitute the green wire for your (+) #86 horn switched lead and the (+) #87 output from the relay to your (+) terminal on the horn. Negative horn switch wire goes to terminal #85

I have a Wolo Bad Boy on my KLR and have never had any trouble with it. The key is to mount it with the horns facing down so they will drain. The thing is loud as hell.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did they say WHY the horn is blowing the fuse? Do you need to run its own inline fuse in order for it to function properly?
They said it was drawing too much power, but I recently upgraded to the high output stator and alternator. Also I have had the horn on the bike for about 3 months and never had a problem. When I got home, I disassembled the horn as best as I could and found out that one of the wires on the winding had broken loose. Not sure if that caused a short or not but, the cheap plastic cover was coming off anyway and vibrating so I'm not really happy with the quality of the horn either. Either way, I haven't had an issue since switching back to the original horn, other than it sounds like a six year old whispering in the dark! Anyone know of a good, cheap, LOUD replacement for the stock unit?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
twowheeladdict " Did you wire up that horn through a relay? That horn draws too much power to be plugged into the OEM horn circuit on most bikes.

Plus, those pocket air horns have to be protected from the rain."

No I didn't wire it through a relay as the instructions said it was a plug and play unit.

jcarruth That horn draws 18 amps! It needs to be fed from a fused lead from the battery through a relay that is controlled by the stock horn circuit. I would use 14ga wire.

I attached a generic diagram. Substitute the green wire for your (+) #86 horn switched lead and the (+) #87 output from the relay to your (+) terminal on the horn. Negative horn switch wire goes to terminal #85

I have a Wolo Bad Boy on my KLR and have never had any trouble with it. The key is to mount it with the horns facing down so they will drain. The thing is loud as hell.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
They said it was drawing too much power, but I recently upgraded to the high output stator and alternator. Also I have had the horn on the bike for about 3 months and never had a problem. When I got home, I disassembled the horn as best as I could and found out that one of the wires on the winding had broken loose. Not sure if that caused a short or not but, the cheap plastic cover was coming off anyway and vibrating so I'm not really happy with the quality of the horn either. Either way, I haven't had an issue since switching back to the original horn, other than it sounds like a six year old whispering in the dark! Anyone know of a good, cheap, LOUD replacement for the stock unit?
twowheeladdict " Did you wire up that horn through a relay? That horn draws too much power to be plugged into the OEM horn circuit on most bikes.

Plus, those pocket air horns have to be protected from the rain."

No I didn't wire it through a relay as the instructions said it was a plug and play unit.

jcarruth That horn draws 18 amps! It needs to be fed from a fused lead from the battery through a relay that is controlled by the stock horn circuit. I would use 14ga wire.

Thanks for the info
Based on these two responses it is apparent that you don't know a lot about electrical circuits. Either take some time to learn or leave to the professionals and enjoy riding instead of breaking down. :serious:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, twowheel you're right, I don't know shit about electrics but when I buy a product that says it's plug and play, I kinda expect it to be just that. If it had said "needs a degree in electrical engineering and an awesome set of tools to install." I would have passed. Usually folks on here are a bit more accommodating but I guess someone pissed in your cheerios this morning? I don't believe I said anything in my previous posts to deserve the "learn or leave it to the professionals" comment but what the hell, Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.

Reactions: reds4

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Yea, twowheel you're right, I don't know shit about electrics but when I buy a product that says it's plug and play, I kinda expect it to be just that. If it had said "needs a degree in electrical engineering and an awesome set of tools to install." I would have passed. Usually folks on here are a bit more accommodating but I guess someone pissed in your cheerios this morning? I don't believe I said anything in my previous posts to deserve the "learn or leave it to the professionals" comment but what the hell, Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.
Sorry I ruffled your feathers. I stand by my statements though, and didn't realize I needed to say it more delicately.

To answer your horn recommendation. There are no horns that will be louder than stock that don't pull more amps. To achieve more sound requires more power. You are lucky the fuse blew. Some guy have replaced the stock fuse with one that handles a higher load and ended up melting wires and horn switches.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Based on these two responses it is apparent that you don't know a lot about electrical circuits. Either take some time to learn or leave to the professionals and enjoy riding instead of breaking down. :serious:
Two Wheel, After thinking it over for the last couple of days, I would just like to point out that one of the main reasons this forum is so successful is that guys like me, who may or may not be as knowledgeable as guys like you, have a place where we can pick the brains of "the professionals" without having to pay thru the nose at the dealer. I think the various posts through out this forum are filled with "Non-professionals" asking questions of those with more knowledge. Your reply of, "Either take some time to learn or leave to the professionals and enjoy riding instead of breaking down." struck me as extremely condescending and in direct opposition to the spirit of this forum. If that makes me sensitive, then I'm guilty. That said, I do appreciate all of the excellent advice shared by everyone on this forum, including yours, and am man enough to "get over" any perceived insult.

And a great big Thank you to everyone that participates by sharing successes as well as failures so that we all may benefit from our collective experiences.

Rant over, moving on....

oh and apparently Harbor freight has the same horn without the pretty cover for $40.00 https://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy-air-horn-94117.html

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
oh and apparently Harbor freight has the same horn without the pretty cover for $40.00 https://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy-air-horn-94117.html
That is without the installation kit. To install that correctly, you are going to need relay, wires, crimping tool and preferably soldering iron, female blade connectors, ring connectors, and inline fuse for the horn power.

I am not a fan of any of these compact air horns on motorcycles. They just don't have the longevity of electric horns. I usually recommend that a person leave the stock horn in place so they still have a horn when the compact air horn dies on them.

I had these 6 inch electric Hi/Lo tone horns on my Vulcan Voyager. Very loud and reliable.

I don't worry much about horns these days. If I need a horn to save my life I am usually too busy braking and swerving to blow the horn so the only time I use it is to let the guy know he is encroaching on my space instead of oh crap he is going to hit me! I rarely find myself in a situation where hitting the horn is necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
That is without the installation kit. To install that correctly, you are going to need relay, wires, crimping tool and preferably soldering iron, female blade connectors, ring connectors, and inline fuse for the horn power.

I am not a fan of any of these compact air horns on motorcycles. They just don't have the longevity of electric horns. I usually recommend that a person leave the stock horn in place so they still have a horn when the compact air horn dies on them.

I had these 6 inch electric Hi/Lo tone horns on my Vulcan Voyager. Very loud and reliable.

I don't worry much about horns these days. If I need a horn to save my life I am usually too busy braking and swerving to blow the horn so the only time I use it is to let the guy know he is encroaching on my space instead of oh crap he is going to hit me! I rarely find myself in a situation where hitting the horn is necessary.
Yes, this is without the install kit, but the relay is in there. I bought that one from Fleet Farm, maybe a couple dollars less.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
moving on....

I got mine at Harbor Freight too, I think it was $32 with the 20% off coupon. It has been on my KLR for almost four years through water crossings, storms, mud, gravel, vibration, still works fine.

Water will kill these things. The key is to locate the horns in a downward directions so water will drain out. Many people on other forums have used these with great success.

There is another one made by Stebel, more expensive. I think Twisted Throttle sells these.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts