Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

Since these items were all plug and play I didn't remove the Maxi-Fuse.
Fairing off, Bags off, Seat off, Side covers were off, gas tank still on.

Fairing removed, as working on my LED HEADLIGHT install, Kenwood Radio and CV B52 Amp install and LED Turn Signal upgrade, had the bike on the table, radio installed and plugged in, fairing still off. Radio worked just fine, AMP was not yet wired for power (cables not installed yet) moved on to install the turn LED bulbs, front and rear (fairing still off), turned on the key to test lights, signal lights worked fine. Then I noticed a gauge bulb half way out of the gauge housing and burned out, decided to replace them with LED bulbs. I left the key in the on position as I walk over to my LED bulb supply to get the new 194 LED'S, upon my arrival back at the bike while inserting the bulb back into the gauge housing, I heard a snap/pop sound and smoke started to come out of the air space in front of the battery, I immediately turned the key off, pulled the Maxi Fuse which was still good, I didn't blow.

So...............................
What's under/near the bottom/front of the battery that would make a pop/snap sound and start smoking ? It got late last and I became totally frustrated when this happened, so I just walk away to return today with a clear mind set. Any advise/help is greatly appreciated as I haven't a clue as to where-what and why this happened.

Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,074 Posts
Morning all,

Since these items were all plug and play I didn't remove the Maxi-Fuse.
Fairing off, Bags off, Seat off, Side covers were off, gas tank still on.

Fairing removed, as working on my LED HEADLIGHT install, Kenwood Radio and CV B52 Amp install and LED Turn Signal upgrade, had the bike on the table, radio installed and plugged in, fairing still off. Radio worked just fine, AMP was not yet wired for power (cables not installed yet) moved on to install the turn LED bulbs, front and rear (fairing still off), turned on the key to test lights, signal lights worked fine. Then I noticed a gauge bulb half way out of the gauge housing and burned out, decided to replace them with LED bulbs. I left the key in the on position as I walk over to my LED bulb supply to get the new 194 LED'S, upon my arrival back at the bike while inserting the bulb back into the gauge housing, I heard a snap/pop sound and smoke started to come out of the air space in front of the battery, I immediately turned the key off, pulled the Maxi Fuse which was still good, I didn't blow.

So...............................
What's under/near the bottom/front of the battery that would make a pop/snap sound and start smoking ? It got late last and I became totally frustrated when this happened, so I just walk away to return today with a clear mind set. Any advise/help is greatly appreciated as I haven't a clue as to where-what and why this happened.

Thank you
If you have battery tender leads connected to the battery there is an inline fuse on that. If you had your bike plugged into a battery tender while you were doing the work it could have blown that. Any other electrical accessories that have been added to the bike may have a lead with in inline fuse. You most likely have a bare wire grounding out somewhere that's causing it to blow the fuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have battery tender leads connected to the battery there is an inline fuse on that. If you had your bike plugged into a battery tender while you were doing the work it could have blown that. Any other electrical accessories that have been added to the bike may have a lead with in inline fuse. You most likely have a bare wire grounding out somewhere that's causing it to blow the fuse.
I'll give that a look-see this morning, thanks for that info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
If it smoked something got shorted to ground and the wire burned. You should be able to see the burned insulation on the wire that was shorted. Hopefully it didn't burn into an adjoining wire. There is an old electrician saying. Everything electrical runs on smoke . Once you let the smoke out it no longer works. Hope you find the wire without too much trouble and get it replaced and the short lifted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,551 Posts
I'd pull the battery so you can give everything a good look. And don't stop when you find something wrong as it may be more than one wire damaged.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jacksprat56

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
System Relay went up in smoke, I did find the offending wire that chaffed through the plastic jacket. HD's wiring leaves something to be desired, you know.....stuffing a 5 pound ham in a 1 pound bag. Silicone jacketed wire bends allot easier and fits in tighter spaces......Hint to the MOCO.

Thanks all for the advice and help, greatly appreciated.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top