Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I celebrated my 70th birthday last week, one month after returning from a 4400 mile, 15 day trip. We rode from Northern KY to the Rocky Mountains to Yellowstone to Sturgis. We stopped at all the sites to see like Bear Tooth Pass, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Iron Mountain, Chief Joseph Highway, Needles Highway. So many places and nice people along the trip. We try and eat at mom and pops and weren't disappointed, I gained 5 pounds! Today I started removing some things from my 2017 Road Glide Ultra. I then dropped it at a friend s house who details bikes. When I get it back I will be selling my Shark. While I am as good a rider as ever on the express or backroads its getting more and more difficult to maneuver the bike when stopping or parking. The bike weighs a 1000 pounds without my fat ass on it! Unfortunately I no longer have 1000 pound legs to maneuver with. I have no regrets or ill feelings only 50 years of great memories spread across 8 Harleys which never left me stranded. I already have an almost new Goldwing Trike for when the wife wants to ride which I'll be switching to on a full time basis. I guess you could say I'm converting from a biker to a triker and I'm good with that. I'll close with a photo when we entered Utah which is a great biker state.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Excellent. Sounds like a hell of a last trip on 2 wheels. Jumping to 3 wheels to keep on riding is good for the soul. Dont be a stranger. Keep us up to date on your new excursions on the Trike.

Reactions: glidedawg

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Great. You've put many miles on. Ride on. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Great way to end the 2 wheeled rides. Enjoy the trike days moving forth

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congrats on the trip! You don't look like you are even near 70, good on you! Why a Goldwing trike vs a Harley one? Just curious.
Good luck on the sale of your Shark.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Glad You had a blast on Your Final Two Wheeled Ride.
No shame in changing to a Trike.
Look at RFG7680’s Three Wheeler. John is doing a great job with it.
Also, don’t be a stranger just cause you’re not on a Glide. You’re always welcome here.
Best of Luck on The Sale of Your Shark. Ride On Brother.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice trip, congrats.
I had to re read your post after looking at the pic. You don’t look anywhere near 70. Maybe 50 years of riding had something to do with it!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I honestly believe that riding for decades keeps us young, and you are proof. Keeps some sort of spirit alive which obviously is in you. You’re not even thinking about quitting, just transitioning to a trike. I salute you. I’m 68 and also ride a ‘17 RGU. I’m only on my 5th Harley, but I didn’t finally make the switch to Harley until December of 1996 with a 1997 Softail Custom. Then an Ultra Classic, a Sportster (sitting next to the Ultra), then a great 2003 Road King Classic. The switch to the RGU was the BEST EVER. I hope to be able to show the wisdom you have, by making the choice to move on, before and not after. Congratulations on completing such a monumental ride. 4400 miles. 70-year-olds who would even think of such a thing are very few and far between.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
2019, they year you hang up two is also the year HD offers a CVO trike...coincidence, I think not....don't ignore the signs from the Gods of V-Twins........its time my friend.........its time :grin:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Sounds like an awesome 2 wheeled life. Congrates!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I celebrated my 70th birthday last week, one month after returning from a 4400 mile, 15 day trip. We rode from Northern KY to the Rocky Mountains to Yellowstone to Sturgis. We stopped at all the sites to see like Bear Tooth Pass, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Iron Mountain, Chief Joseph Highway, Needles Highway. So many places and nice people along the trip. We try and eat at mom and pops and weren't disappointed, I gained 5 pounds! Today I started removing some things from my 2017 Road Glide Ultra. I then dropped it at a friend s house who details bikes. When I get it back I will be selling my Shark. While I am as good a rider as ever on the express or backroads its getting more and more difficult to maneuver the bike when stopping or parking. The bike weighs a 1000 pounds without my fat ass on it! Unfortunately I no longer have 1000 pound legs to maneuver with. I have no regrets or ill feelings only 50 years of great memories spread across 8 Harleys which never left me stranded. I already have an almost new Goldwing Trike for when the wife wants to ride which I'll be switching to on a full time basis. I guess you could say I'm converting from a biker to a triker and I'm good with that. I'll close with a photo when we entered Utah which is a great biker state.
i think after that ride i'd retire, too lol

congrats on that dream of a tour and hope to see you out on I-74 on that Trike real soon!!!

...and a belated happy birthday

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Karnevil ask why I choose a Goldwing over a Tri Glide. Please keep in mind I'm a Harley guy and I don't want to start a war. I rode both bikes and after riding I felt the Goldwing was a better ride for us. Plus an almost new GW California side care trike came for sale at 10K under market value for a quick cash sale. I've been very happy on the GW and more important Kathy likes it. All that said if I can't sale my shark for what I think it's worth I'm thinking about CSC trike it. I would then sell the GW which I'll have no trouble getting my money back.
Bill

·
Registered
894 Posts
Great life story my good man! You're not leaving the show, just changing your seat! Keep us informed on your augmented path please.
We got a "guy" on here that has switched his seat as well and is grooving on it.(RFG7680). RIDE_ONNNNNNNN!

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
TY for sharing, it sounds like a great run!

A few of us are slowly headed in that direction, a smart guy knows when to say when!

Please stay connected!

70?, not a day over 55 :grin:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Congrats & awesome! Sounds like a good plan to me. I’m 65 and wondering when I do something similar.

Ride on!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Im 71 and I somewhere in the back of my mind ( way back ) I know that one day I will have to give up two wheels, my escape plan is adding a Hannigan hack, or I guess I could explore adding a Trike kit to my 15 RGS. Or at some time I may just have the kids haul me around while I sit in the bed of my old stepside.
I don't really want to think about it, it's just to much fun to give up until I have to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts