Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys... I installed my enforcer wheel on my 2012 last night and noticed in a very slow test ride that my rotors were loose ! I Have hd hardware including the bushings and crush washers and used blue loctite. The bolts are all tight yet I still have play! After going thru the instructions, it says to let the loctite cure before riding.. which ill admit i did not do. its just baffling to me however that thats all that keeps it from that little bit of play? just a dab of loctite?

if that is the case, is there anything wrong with taking one out one by one and putting a fresh bead of loctite on them ? (on wheel)

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and i geuss my next question is, are these the harley "floating rotors" that have that little bit of play?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
called harley this morning.. they are consider floating rotors in harley's eyes and do have a little bit of play to them.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I would double check everything to be sure every thing is in place. If I remember correctly the rotor bolts have a shank on them and need a funky washer to keep the rotor floating. My enforcer rotors don't have play though

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would double check everything to be sure every thing is in place. If I remember correctly the rotor bolts have a shank on them and need a funky washer to keep the rotor floating. My enforcer rotors don't have play though
So i cant remember the part numbers, but i know i paid 40 bucks per rotor for hardware from HD that had the bushings and crush washers. and the bolts are torqued down. Is there a possible chance that the bolts are too long? it seems they are bottoming out in the wheel hub if there is still play.

also, im not listening to harley per that phone call about the floating rotors.. I got you telling me theres no play and the company i got the rotors from (rubicon cycles) just sent me a video of his rotors..... NO PLAY IN THEM!

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I had a question about this last year and went to 2 different dealerships and put my hands on about every rotor on the touring bikes I could. Found that more than half had some play but there were some rotors that were tight. Talk to a couple of HD techs and an indy and they all said that there could be play since they are floating rotors. My friends 13' RG has quite a bit of play and he has had no issues in 30k miles. Smooth as silk when applying the brakes in any situation. I agree that it doesn't seem right but I am more than convinced it is very normal. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a question about this last year and went to 2 different dealerships and put my hands on about every rotor on the touring bikes I could. Found that more than half had some play but there were some rotors that were tight. Talk to a couple of HD techs and an indy and they all said that there could be play since they are floating rotors. My friends 13' RG has quite a bit of play and he has had no issues in 30k miles. Smooth as silk when applying the brakes in any situation. I agree that it doesn't seem right but I am more than convinced it is very normal. Hope this helps.
oh wow. Man, its baffling to know the vast difference in play/no play from bike to bike with the same setup. i have a video of mine but dont know how i would upload it on here. If i had to choose, i think id rather be on the no play side of the spectrum. Im thinking about getting a slightly shorter grade 8 bolt so it doesnt bottom out and can torque them down.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
oh wow. Man, its baffling to know the vast difference in play/no play from bike to bike with the same setup. i have a video of mine but dont know how i would upload it on here. If i had to choose, i think id rather be on the no play side of the spectrum. Im thinking about getting a slightly shorter grade 8 bolt so it doesnt bottom out and can torque them down.
Keep in mind it is designed to be a floating rotor and there are plenty of other types of floating rotors that have some play in them. If your braking is smooth and you feel no vibrations I would say don't worry about it and ride on. MOCO is not going to tell you something that is BS on their braking system for fear of a major lawsuite. If it really bothers you then I would go back to the original wheel and non-floating rotors. I get the extreme caution dealing with brakes and I don't blame you but most likely they are acting like they are designed.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I can't say why some of them have play and others don't but if you feel everything is in place properly and the rotor isnt just floppin around then take it for a ride around the corner and see how it feels

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks guys. ill give it a shot.. when i rode it up the road and back, it was just a distinct clunkin/clickin sound that went away with braking. its been crapping the last couple days so ill hopefully get a longer ride in tonight. and i can agree that i feel as though everything is mounted right. hell, the free spin while lifted is better tahn it was with the stock wheel.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Harley recommends installing new hardware each time a rotor is reinstalled. You should be able to move these rotors around with your hand but they should be a little firm. If you didn't reinstall with new bolts maybe you should.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harley recommends installing new hardware each time a rotor is reinstalled. You should be able to move these rotors around with your hand but they should be a little firm. If you didn't reinstall with new bolts maybe you should.
yes i paid the 40 bucks/rotor for new hardware. i wish i could upload the video but i can grab the rotor and while its not super loose, there is a shimmy to it. you can feel the rectangle bolt holes sliding back n forth.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
yes i paid the 40 bucks/rotor for new hardware. i wish i could upload the video but i can grab the rotor and while its not super loose, there is a shimmy to it. you can feel the rectangle bolt holes sliding back n forth.
Can you post a picture of the rotor?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sounds like you have it correct,,,The bolts are supposed to bottom out on the wheel and allow the rotor to "float" on the shoulders...

I have 3 different HDs all with floating rotors,,, some have a little play,,, some have none (that is easily felt)

Take the bike by the Dealer and ask them to take a look...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sounds to me like you have done a proper install. Personally, I think your ok but it is your brakes we're talking about so it wonldn't hurt to have a qualified hd mechanic take a look.

·
Registered
134 Posts
View attachment 325890

here you go.. it seems theres less play now that the loctite sat and cured. didnt think thatd have much effect.
The loctite has absolutely zero effect on the rotors movement. It is just there to hold the threads of the bolt so they cannot back out with vibration or expansion/contraction. The rotor should be able to move a small amount as it is a floating rotor. I suspect when some people say theirs do not move they are either not applying enough force, or the little washers are turned in a way that they are "stuck".

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The loctite has absolutely zero effect on the rotors movement. It is just there to hold the threads of the bolt so they cannot back out with vibration or expansion/contraction. The rotor should be able to move a small amount as it is a floating rotor. I suspect when some people say theirs do not move they are either not applying enough force, or the little washers are turned in a way that they are "stuck".
good to know.. i just thought it was odd that the next day i went out and started tinkering they seemed to have less play.. oddly enough. test ride down and everything looks good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts