Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 Ultra in August in didn't realy think to much of how much heat was coming off the motor,being new and a hot August..When I took it for a ride this spring in 65 degree weather,an hour ride on open roads, my ass would sweat and the back of my leg would be burning .Is this normal ? I haven't done the stage 1 yet..Any ideas would be appreciated..Haven't had time to get it to the dealer yet...

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's the catalytic converter in the pipe, and the fact that the motor runs so lean to pass EPA regs. Not trying to be a dick, but did you try searching the Exhaust Forum? There must be over 25 threads about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was from the cat but the heat is coming off the top of the motor,not down around my calf...No offense taken..

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
These engines put off a lot of heat just the nature of the beast. A stage 1 with the head pipes de-catted or a exhaust system that already has open head pipes will drop the engine heat down some. I recommend a new complete exhaust system over de-catting the head pipe because that way you have the stock exhaust intact if for some reason you need to put it back on.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
These motors are smog motors. EPA mandates emissions to be lower. This is accomplished by high heat retention in the head, as a result of no/minimal overlap cams and very lean air fuel mixture. That means the heads are going to be hotter than hell in stock form. It's also why richening up the mixture, modifying the timing and opening up the system with pipes and cam allows more burning fuel to escape the combustion chamber. Translates to less heat retention in the head. Yes emissions go up, but heat felt by the rider goes down.

EFI motors if left 100% stock will eventually burn up the rear exhaust valve. Also one reason why the HD engineers got rid of the old style Y pipe was due to the HUGE amount of heat they were subjected to. Causes them to crack like clock work around 25-30k miles.

·
Registered
325 Posts
After you pick out the exhaust you want, get it tuned, a proper tune will cool things down.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Another consideration is the Ward's FCS cooling fans. I monitor engine temps while riding (Powervision) and have seen the fans drop the temps from well over 270 degrees to 230 and under and keep them there. In prolonged stop and go traffic with air temps near 90, they kept the temps in the 245 to 250 degree range.

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Air cooled, I've noticed a simple replace the football style ac with with old partially open round doesn't trap heat as much, might help ya some.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I put thoes on, too. Yes, it's a help....But get rid of that "CAT" and do a new exaust system. A good synthetic oil and a quality oil cooler. It all adds up.

·
Registered
605 Posts
plus one on the no cat, good oil and I just did a tank lift which I hope it helps the heat a little bit

Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts