Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just looking into doing some work on my 2013 Road Glide Ultra and educating myself. Have a local guy in the area well known for his work and he gave me this quote. Wondering what you guys think.

For the 103 cu in bikes alot of guys are going with T-man 577 cams,with a street port head package:

Tman Cams $350

Street Port Your Heads/Machining $500
Adjustable Pushrods $175

Gasket Kit $100

Labor $750

Total $1875

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Got the tuner already with the stage 1. Like I said, educating myself here. As far as power, would this setup give me more low end or upper end? Would it be a substantial increase or would it be minimal from stock?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I believe that's a good midrange cam. With headwork and those cams you should run really good and strong. Definitely worth the upgrade. Should break 100hp without too much trouble.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Labor seems high. How many hours? What's the $rate?

Where is upgrading the lifters?

Where is upgrading the cam bearings?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The Tman 577 cam is close to the SE 259E cam specs and I had the SE 259E cam in my bike and I hated it.
The Tman 577 cam is a mid-range torque cam and would work better with higher compression builds from what I see and if it acts anything like the SE 259E cam it doesn't come on until the engine hits around 3000 rpm.
On the heavier touring model HD you are better off with a cam that provides low end torque and HP and comes on earlier such as the Woods 222 cam for example.
Save the money on the heads because the head work will only provide minimal results for the money spent.
Just do the cams with new cam bearings and adjustable pushrods and see how you like how the bike runs before tearing the heads off. Lifters are optional because they are easy to replace once the adjustable pushrod are in your bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ironmark. Thats what I wad thinking. Im more of a low end guy anyway. Really appreciate your input. Very helpful. I actually test rode the 15 roadglide and thought those upgraded cams were pretty nice. How would that setup you outlined compare?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Look at the specs for the T-Man 590. Comes on @ 2200 RPM and goes all the way up. Switched out from my 259 Harley cam and am much happier for it due to the power hitting off idle now and not waiting until 3500 RPM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Look at the specs for the T-Man 590. Comes on @ 2200 RPM and goes all the way up. Switched out from my 259 Harley cam and am much happier for it due to the power hitting off idle now and not waiting until 3500 RPM.
T Man 590 is a great cam but will need a compression bump, heads done right and a proper tune to fully realize it's potential. You said you are more of a low end torque guy so that being said T Man has the 555 Torqster and it has proven itself to be a solid performer. Having been down this road, leaving the heads alone, installing those cams, some S&S lifters and Quick install pushrods and Torrington cam bearings and a proper tune and you will be at a place that if when there that is still not enough, you had better plan on spending some serious coin.....performance beyond the bolt-in level is expensive.....words to the wise!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now yer talkin!

Oh DAMN! To hell with it. Think after the first I'm gonna go for it and just get that damn 124. Now to figure out who to go with. :)
Well hell.....if you got it ($$$) like that then absolutely....nothing wrong with starting out where you most likely will end up any way! Scott at Hillside can take good care of you as well as Frank at Drago's.....I see you are using his header so he may be a logical choice. Remember though that when going this route, other areas of the bike will need to be beefed up to handle the extra juice....even a mild 124 will be in the 130 hp 130 ft lb area and clutch and so on is gonna have to change to be able to keep up. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The right cam will give your bike more power and performance than any other performance upgrade will, IMO it is the one performance mod that give you the best bang for the buck.
Big engines upgrades are expensive especially when you figure in any other mods needed so the bike can handle the increase in power.
With that much increase in power a clutch mod is needed and then you need to find a drive belt to handle the power or go with a chain drive.
Also the trans come into question, will it handle the power and for how long.
These mods are expensive and need to be considered when installing a big engine .
The Tman 555 torquester is another cam that is popular and gets good reviews.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The gear box will handle the load of a 124".:)
Scott
Sure it will but for how long???
I am sure it depends on riding style but why put in a big engine and not run it hard (even if it is just to show off). Trannys go out with just 103 stage 4 builds if the bike is run hard.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
T Man 590 is a great cam but will need a compression bump, heads done right and a proper tune to fully realize it's potential. You said you are more of a low end torque guy so that being said T Man has the 555 Torqster and it has proven itself to be a solid performer. Having been down this road, leaving the heads alone, installing those cams, some S&S lifters and Quick install pushrods and Torrington cam bearings and a proper tune and you will be at a place that if when there that is still not enough, you had better plan on spending some serious coin.....performance beyond the bolt-in level is expensive.....words to the wise!
Good point Stogie. I forgot that I already had the headwork and other stuff (Stage 4) done on my bike and the OP wasn't looking to do all that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts