Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 CVO RGC, second owner, dealership maintained, ESP.

I bought the bike last year with 8k on it and put 10k on it with no problems. Purrs like a kitten. Only mods are a V&H and SERT, done by the HD dealership.

A few weeks ago I start to notice a chirping or rattle noise coming from the engine - primary, clutch, tranny - who knows? It happens almost exclusively when the engine is cold. I take off and when I hit the first stop (usually the end of my driveway) going slow and pull in clutch to stop I hear the chirp for a few seconds then it stops. Might do this again if I stop again soon. But once the engine is warm and I've been riding a while it goes away.

I stopped by the dealership and told them about it. Tech took it for a quick ride but of course the bike is warm so it doesn't make the sound. He says probably just compensator doing it's job, keep an eye on it and mention it when bring it in for 20k in 2k more miles. I've got ESP so I'm not worried.

Then out riding the very next day, same chirp when we leave and then all is fine for about 45 minutes. On a back road, cruising along slowly and comfortably (I never beat on this bike), in third gear cruising at 35 mph with the cruise control on and all of the sudden I hear and feel BANG! from the engine. The whole bike shudders for s a second and then... nothing - the bike keeps going along purring like a kitten.

We're about as far away from home as this quick run will take us so now I'm holding my breath and riding home nice and easy. All the way home the bike purrs like a kitten and rides perfectly. How can something make that bike a noise inside the bike and not be an issue after the fact? I make it home and park. Dealership closed today, of course (Monday) so going to call tomorrow to get it in.

But in the meantime - any ideas? I read back 10 pages here and no shortage of threads about engine noises, especially primary. I'm thinking maybe the primary bearing is going? Any thoughts from others, especially those that have had similar experiences appreciated.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
It sounds like your lifters are going out, probably the rear cylinder lifters. The chirping noise is the roller bearing on the lifter failing and the shudder is when the roller bearing get so bad it will hang up and cause the engine to shudder because the engine if forcing the cam through the lifter.
Chances are you have cam damage by now because you kept riding the bike after you heard the first signs of lifter failure. You may not have any engine damage but I wouldn't start the engine at all, haul the bike to the dealer and let them start the bike.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Loose final drive belt maybe? I know if mine was too loose on my old bike it would chirp until it warmed up. If it is too loose, maybe the bang you heard in the primary was the comp slamming as a result of a loose belt.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Loose final drive belt maybe? I know if mine was too loose on my old bike it would chirp until it warmed up. If it is too loose, maybe the bang you heard in the primary was the comp slamming as a result of a loose belt.

Lil Chief
A belt being out of adjustment may cause some noise but there is no way it will cause the engine to shutter or the comp to slam with the engine running.
I am going on the fact that the bike has 18K on a engine that has a history of lifter failure.
I also experience the lifter chirp and engine shutter on my bike when the lifters failed.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I missed the part about the engine shuddering.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike. Keep us posted. Worse case if what ironmark said about your lifters and cams maybe the dealership will replace them with a hotter cam. I'm sure they will charge you for the cam but the labor should be covered.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
This sounds almost exactly like what happened to someone I know. His primary chain adjuster nut came loose, and started making a squeeky/rattle noise. Then BANG, it dropped off of the stud, and exploded. Then it stopped making noise.

It's easy to check for this by taking your derby cover off, and shine a flashlight in to look.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm thinking the primary adjust failing also. Had something similar 4 or 5 years ago. If it was hot lifter, it would be constantly making a noise if the roller had failed. I hope I'm right, if it's what Ironmark says, total engine tear down. With the new oiling trays, the comp but could have back off also causing different issues. Hard to diagnose over the Internet with this type issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the ideas. I have an appointment for next Tuesday. But I still might pull off the derby and take a look around just to see if I can see anything obvious.

If it was something like failing lifters or other permanent damage I would think that I would hear something all the time, right? I rode it today to the dealership and back and it purrs like a kitten.

Weird. I've taken to running my phone on record while I'm riding hoping it will make the chip/barking noise so they can at least hear that. Of course so far it has not made the noise since the loud bang.

Weird. I'll keep you posted on how it shakes out.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
When a lifters roller bearing starts to go bad it may only make noise when the bike is first started and then the noise can go away. Of course the noise will become more frequent and noticeable over time as the roller bearing get worse.
With 18K on the bike it isn't very likely that the comp nut backed off unless you just had the compensator serviced. But it is more likely that the lifters are failing.
It is hard to say without hearing the noise so we are just guessing on the problem but I would suggest going to the auto parts store and buying a mechanics stethoscope (they only cost $10-$15) and use the stethoscope to locate the noise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with the opening of the primary. I would NOT crank it or ride it to the dealer though. If you're handy at all, you can remove the whole primary components and inspect/repair. If you DO open the primary, I'd disconnect the battery. I've seen too many pictures of mangled fingers.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
When a lifters roller bearing starts to go bad it may only make noise when the bike is first started and then the noise can go away. Of course the noise will become more frequent and noticeable over time as the roller bearing get worse.
With 18K on the bike it isn't very likely that the comp nut backed off unless you just had the compensator serviced. But it is more likely that the lifters are failing.
It is hard to say without hearing the noise so we are just guessing on the problem but I would suggest going to the auto parts store and buying a mechanics stethoscope (they only cost $10-$15) and use the stethoscope to locate the noise.
I would suggest cutting the filter apart. And lifters aren't going to make a long bang unless it's already too late. I had a Hot Bikes of Oregon hydraulic tensioner blow up on a trip and the ball bearing was floating around in the primary cavity. It would make a loud squealing sound when it hung up against the clutch basket. Then it would release and fall to the bottom and would be fine. When I would slow to a stop, the turbulence would make it move and back into the squealing position. I said, well it's already messed up, I didn't know what it was at the time. When I got to Sturgis, I pulled the primary, removed the compensator, clutch basket, and the stator and rotor and used brake clean to clean up the mess. Got a standard tensioner there and put it back in and still going strong 30,000 miles later. My point being, you never know what it can be until you get into it. I just find it hard to believe that if a lifter failed, it wouldn't be hammering all the time now. I'm sure it can happen though. Hope that's not it for the sake of the engine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You are describing what I heard When I lost the cam chain tensioner on my 05. a couple days after the bang all oil pressure went away. I know the newer engines have this corrected but your description is eerily similar.
Wound up with a complete new engine.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Curious to hear the final cause and repair.

But with ESP, I'd let the dealer find the problem.......LOL

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting the bike back tomorrow. HD did nothing but ride and tell me it sounds fine even though I told them the sound went away after the big bang. Typical. "I'd just ride it..." the moron behind the counter said over the phone. Good advice. I'll ride it right down the BMW dealership and trade it in.

Idiots.

Can't wait to get the evaluation survey of their performance in the email...

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
you could always tell them to go ahead and tear into the motor. if they don't find anything, then the bill is on you. if, however, they do find an issue, then the esp will cover it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found it! And a little red faced now...

Started hearing the exact same noise. Would have sworn it was coming from the engine - weird how noises seem to 'travel' from odd areas!

Anyway, I have a crushed gravel driveway which kicks up decent size rocks. Never a problem in four years of HD RGC ownership. I'd hear the occasional one kick up and rattle around for a second and then exit.

I had a stick stuck up under the rear fender which would catch the rock and hold it just right and it would shift a little and rattle around at slow speeds until eventually it dislodged and came out with a loud thunk as the bike ran over it!

Found when having a new rear tire put on. Color my face burning red. But oh so very happy it's not the engine. I guess I should have trusted the fact that the bike purrs like a kitten at all times!

Reactions: grambo and Smarty
1 - 17 of 17 Posts