Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday pulled the bike out and started it up to get it warmed up for a ride. Sounded fine at first start up. Shut it off went in house for 10 minutes. Come back out started it and had a knocking or rattle noise coming from the left side of bike. Jumped on it and about a mile down the road it went away. Rode about 150 miles and every time we stopped for a bit and restarted the bike it would make the same noise. I know it’s not normal ! Never has made this sound before and it is loud over the exhaust. Any ideas ? Compensator or maybe a bad lifter. Bike has 300 miles on a stage 3 103 build. Called dealer and they are buried so won’t be able to get it in till Friday. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Very well could be the compensator, bit I had that a while back and it was the lousy dreaded lifter failure, so ended up doing cams with S&S premium lifters and adjustable pushrods, and have been happy as a pig in slop since. Definitely have that checked out.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Both the simptoms and the noice sound very much like the compensator to me.
That would also be my guess

I have replaced my compensators twice

Once fixed the last time, I’ve had zero issues

Swomack

·
Registered
149 Posts
It could be the compensator, but that usually bangs and then goes away. My guess is a lifter or lifters. Mine had a rattle that wouldn't go away, and the lifters were bad. You only have 300 miles on the stage 3, so it very well could be related to that.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I need to ask what you did to remedy your compensator issue Swo. I think Freedom and I are both going to need this information soon.
The last fix we used shims on the new comp and I haven't had any issues.

The first two replacement were done without shims.

Sticking lifters also make noise until the oil heats up.

I wrote up a thread on bad comps somewhere

I'll try and find it

Swomack

·
Registered
347 Posts
I found this old thread and you should read what I went thru

The last fix with the new comp & shims fixed the issues I had

Zero issues after putting another 20,000+ miles on my sled

Here is the link

Page # 8 was the final fix

Hope this helps

Swomack

http://www.roadglide.org/14-tech-area/263426-swomacks-beast-down-2-weeks-8.html
Great bit of info Swo. I am having the same symptoms as Freedom and am confident at least in my case that it is the compensator. Thanks brother, and I’m hoping Freedom benifits from the info as well.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Great bit of info Swo. I am having the same symptoms as Freedom and am confident at least in my case that it is the compensator. Thanks brother, and I’m hoping Freedom benifits from the info as well.
Yeah man

If it just the compensator, it’s an easy fix

Let us know how it turns out once the fix is done

Swomack

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It could be the compensator, but that usually bangs and then goes away. My guess is a lifter or lifters. Mine had a rattle that wouldn't go away, and the lifters were bad. You only have 300 miles on the stage 3, so it very well could be related to that.

My guess it is a lifter. Sounds to me to come from the top of the motor. It has SE premium lifters installed with the stage 3. Well that must be junk. It stops doing it after I ride a mile or 2. Might not be pumping up who knows. I do not know what a bad compensator sounds like.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
My guess it is a lifter. Sounds to me to come from the top of the motor. It has SE premium lifters installed with the stage 3. Well that must be junk. It stops doing it after I ride a mile or 2. Might not be pumping up who knows. I do not know what a bad compensator sounds like.

Hmmm ok Im not sure but Im sorry your dealing with this after just doing your build. Those S&S lifters are pretty damn nice when you hold them up side by side to the stock. How many miles on the bike? Im going to have to go with these other guys and say its the comp. Im at 20k miles on mine and at the end of this year im going Baker on mine.

Good luck and keep us posted. I would definitely pull that primary off and look it over real good. Take some pics and post everything up and see what the experts on here say...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm ok Im not sure but Im sorry your dealing with this after just doing your build. Those S&S lifters are pretty damn nice when you hold them up side by side to the stock. How many miles on the bike? Im going to have to go with these other guys and say its the comp. Im at 20k miles on mine and at the end of this year im going Baker on mine.

Good luck and keep us posted. I would definitely pull that primary off and look it over real good. Take some pics and post everything up and see what the experts on here say...

Bike has 19000 on it. They replaced the lifters with SE lifters.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got bike back today. They said they could not reproduce the clatter. Imagine that.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bike is in the shop now completely tore down. Replacing the cases because of lifter bore scoring. Not sure how that happens ? Bad lifter lack of oil pressure ? Harley junk ? Who knows. I know it’s 80 degrees out and I have no bike to ride.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Bike is in the shop now completely tore down. Replacing the cases because of lifter bore scoring. Not sure how that happens ? Bad lifter lack of oil pressure ? Harley junk ? Who knows. I know it’s 80 degrees out and I have no bike to ride.

Man that literally tears me up what your going through. You were so excited about your build and they finally finish it and you cant enjoy it. I think when they finish it you should trade it and be done. That bike is snake bit. I know you wanted to use your local dealer so you could keep your warranty but damn. What good is a warranty if you are broke down all the time. I dont mean to bust your balls but there are way too many guys out there with over 100k miles on their bikes with little to no issues. Good luck and hang in there.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

I Dislike this post very much. I hope they wrench fast and Harley ships parts quickly for you. This is why everyone needs at least two bikes. Go buy a second bike.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man that literally tears me up what your going through. You were so excited about your build and they finally finish it and you cant enjoy it. I think when they finish it you should trade it and be done. That bike is snake bit. I know you wanted to use your local dealer so you could keep your warranty but damn. What good is a warranty if you are broke down all the time. I dont mean to bust your balls but there are way too many guys out there with over 100k miles on their bikes with little to no issues. Good luck and hang in there.

Hit a deer in this bike last year and now the motor goes kaboom. Maybe I am not made to own a Harley.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I Dislike this post very much. I hope they wrench fast and Harley ships parts quickly for you. This is why everyone needs at least two bikes. Go buy a second bike.
Unless you have another hobby to occupy your time while the bike is being fixed, you should have multiple bikes like MightyWhitey said. Plus you get a discount for multiple bikes on your insurance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts