Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enjoying great weather today and taking a ride - about 50 miles out my engine just died. No drama, no noise, it just quit like I had hit the kill switch (I didn't) Plenty of fuel and the bike would crank easily enough with the starter. Got a tow from Black Jack Harley Davidson and now just waiting to see what happened. 2nd time I've been broke down at the side of the road with this bike - maybe time to replace it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It might be a faulty fuel pump or maybe just the fuse.

·
Registered
367 Posts
we got today and 110 miles.stopped for lunch . no issues. get home.go out 15 minutes later to put the bike away, nothing, dead, no lights,nothing. damn ground wire was loose. bike sat for 6 weeks , started right up, rode all day and sitting in the drive way it doesnt start.:confused:

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's a 2011 RGU with 67k miles.
Hopefully they figure it out quickly and its something minor like a fuse or loose wire.

Reactions: madmat

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a 2011 RGU and had similar issue. Mine was a chaffed wire in the handlebar. I you pull the main fuse and plug it back in, and the bike starts, then its is probably electronic. It took me 3 visits to the dealer to figure out my problem. They finally replaced the wire harness in the handle bar and solved my problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Did you check for DTC's?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Any mods on the bike ?

Reactions: BlazingSaddle

·
Registered
927 Posts
If there’s any good news in all of this, it’s the fact that it turns over. Usually it’s something simple that takes a lot of time to chase down. Fuses are my first order of business. Hope it’s s a simple and cheap fix for you. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Those kill switches on the handlebar go bad quite often, and it will crank but nothing, just did my brothers on his ultra.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Sorry to hear Jack. Hope it’s something simple. I think you were wanting to hold off a while longer before trading.

Ron

Reactions: 1st Sgt

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Thanks for all the inputs and comments. Just got the diagnosis from service rep today on my dead engine. Induction module fritzed out. New one is on order and we'll see where we stand after it's been installed. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Thanks for all the inputs and comments. Just got the diagnosis from service rep today on my dead engine. Induction module fritzed out. New one is on order and we'll see where we stand after it's been installed. Wish me luck.
That sucks, those things Arn't suposed to go bad. Did they give you a time line and price ? I'd suspect that's a special order part.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah, that’s definitely not a common thread starter, at least not lately. For my own curiousity, I did a search on it in here and got quite a few hits. Seems they all had the same symptom. I looked the part number up on Boardtracker online for my 2016 RGU and it’s $170. Personally, I’d be relieved. I always appreciate updates, so thanks Shirt.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Good luck Top and keep us informed.

Mike

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Todays update

New Induction Module installed today, codes were cleared and when they went to turn it over the tech heard a "ka-ting" and codes came back. Short story made shorter - front cylinder intake valve spring had broken - with the valve floating open the pressure flowed back towards the induction module stripping the gears. I saw the spring myself - that mofo was snapped. Fortunately no damage to the head, piston or new induction module. No one in the shop had seen that before - Tech heard "ka-ting", I heard "ch-ching".

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
New Induction Module installed today, codes were cleared and when they went to turn it over the tech heard a "ka-ting" and codes came back. Short story made shorter - front cylinder intake valve spring had broken - with the valve floating open the pressure flowed back towards the induction module stripping the gears. I saw the spring myself - that mofo was snapped. Fortunately no damage to the head, piston or new induction module. No one in the shop had seen that before - Tech heard "ka-ting", I heard "ch-ching".
Thats a pretty common sound. Not the Ka-ting but the Ch-ching. Hope your on the road soon with a little Ch-ching left over.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts