Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got stuck in traffic for approx. 10 minutes, air temp was about 70. My engine idle started to increase and the clutch lever was not holding. I had to really press on the breaks to keep the bike from moving. If I let up on the break, the bike would move forward even with the clutch lever in. This is the 2nd time this has happened in traffic in 2 years. I shut the bike off for a couple of minutes, got out of the traffic (turned around) and the bike ran normal. Any thoughts guys? Thanks

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I got stuck in traffic for approx. 10 minutes, air temp was about 70. My engine idle started to increase and the clutch lever was not holding. I had to really press on the breaks to keep the bike from moving. If I let up on the break, the bike would move forward even with the clutch lever in. This is the 2nd time this has happened in traffic in 2 years. I shut the bike off for a couple of minutes, got out of the traffic (turned around) and the bike ran normal. Any thoughts guys? Thanks
I'd change primary fluid and adjust the clutch ,then go from there. How many miles on it ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 20,000 on the bike with approx. 3,000 on primary fluid. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have 20,000 on the bike with approx. 3,000 on primary fluid. Thanks guys
The clutch drag is something that is probably indicating a secondary issue. You should check the fluid level in case its transfering. And you should check the plate lift on release, in case there is an issue with the hydraulics.

As for the high idle when sitting, that sounds like it went into idle temperature management. These M8's stay pretty smooth when EITMS activates (unlike the TC's), the idle stepping up is the most noticeable part of it. They will cycle into that pretty fast when sitting in traffic on a 70ish day. See if you notice a change in the exhaust tone next time it does it. And if you want to, you can turn it off and see if that stops it from recurring.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
The clutch drag is something that is probably indicating a secondary issue. You should check the fluid level in case its transfering. And you should check the plate lift on release, in case there is an issue with the hydraulics.

As for the high idle when sitting, that sounds like it went into idle temperature management. These M8's stay pretty smooth when EITMS activates (unlike the TC's), the idle stepping up is the most noticeable part of it. They will cycle into that pretty fast when sitting in traffic on a 70ish day. See if you notice a change in the exhaust tone next time it does it. And if you want to, you can turn it off and see if that stops it from recurring.
I assumed he had a 2012

1 - 7 of 7 Posts