Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start up (cold), engine has a loud knocking. I mean loud! After about 2 mins it starts to quiet down. I can't let it idle too much longer (neighborhood). After riding about 2-3 miles, it stops. Oil level is normal, either hot or cold checking.

Should I be concerned????:serious:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yup. Sounds like a lifter. S&S Lifters are very good replacements or if on a budget you can use the Comp Cams 850 lifters.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Food for thought here.... I had a similar issue on a 2013 Breakout.

Mine only did EXACTLY what you are describing when it sat for 2-3 days and was COLD out... 30's to 40's. When I road it every day, it would only clunk for about 15-30 seconds.... not 2+ minutes. It did go on for 2-3 minutes if I left it for 2-3 days... FYI

I had brought it in for this and described it.... I told them to leave it sit in an uncontrolled environment ( not temp controlled ) for 2-3 days.

they finally found the issue.... the pressure relief valve in the cam plate was sticking... not allowing proper oil PSI. They replaced the cam plate and PRV under warranty... never had an issue after that.

Reactions: bike51

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I get the same knocking sound for about the same duration. It's making it real hard to wait until the warranty expires for me to change out lifters, adjustable pushrods and cams...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knocking

Thanks for the feed back. Its a 2015, only 2000 miles.
I'll go to HD and hopefully get some satisfaction.:wink:

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I get the same knocking sound for about the same duration. It's making it real hard to wait until the warranty expires for me to change out lifters, adjustable pushrods and cams...
Why would you wait?? Even if you didn't upgrade you should get the problem looked at and R&R if needed. The lifters are a warranty item and if they are not addressed soon you can have more damage to the engine.
The first time the lifters or cams are serviced the adjustable pushrods should be installed just because it will make future lifter or cam chest R&R easier and less costly.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
True...may say F it and just do it. Otherwise I will run it by the dealer, but I am sure they will say "its normal" or "nuthin wrong with it"...So I am thinking they won't change them under warranty. But doesn't hurt to ask! :grin:

Reactions: cookie114

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Which means I will have to leave the bike there overnight I am sure. :frown:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Plan on doing Rockouts too when I did it.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Which means I will have to leave the bike there overnight I am sure. :frown:
That's the only way they will know if it is the lifters or not unless you trailer it there.
The lifters will only knock when they have a chance to bleed off which takes time and the bike needs to be started cold for the first time for the day.
Chances are that if the oil PSI is good at startup than there is nothing wrong with the oil pump.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. Its a 2015, only 2000 miles.
I'll go to HD and hopefully get some satisfaction.:wink:
Does it diminish if you ride it every day? like I described? With only 2k on a 2015.... bring it in... but do the test first...

let it sit.... MAKE SURE you can replicate at least 2-3 times.... then you KNOW you can give them EXACT instructions on how to replicate it. This way you KNOW they will hear and know what you are talking about. Controlled environment will NOT help you out... make sure they know this.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
That's the only way they will know if it is the lifters or not unless you trailer it there.
The lifters will only knock when they have a chance to bleed off which takes time and the bike needs to be started cold for the first time for the day.
Chances are that if the oil PSI is good at startup than there is nothing wrong with the oil pump.
Does it diminish if you ride it every day? like I described? With only 2k on a 2015.... bring it in... but do the test first...

let it sit.... MAKE SURE you can replicate at least 2-3 times.... then you KNOW you can give them EXACT instructions on how to replicate it. This way you KNOW they will hear and know what you are talking about. Controlled environment will NOT help you out... make sure they know this.
Yeah, I know they will need it overnight to check. Mine does it every start up. I have one knocking sound the goes away in a couple seconds, and then one knocking sound that goes away after a couple minutes. Guess I will have to take it in and offer my info and suggestions. Maybe they'll do the Rockouts and the lifters under warranty! :grin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
knocking

I'm on my way over to HD. I knew it wasn't right.
The only way I could describe it to my friend was it sounded like a cam knocking from souped up car days..

thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
In my experience, a soft lifter is more of a rattle than a knock. It could be a compensator or piston slap. Piston slap goes away once the bike is warm. FWIW, I had my lifters on my '15 replaced under warranty with S&S standards because they were bleeding down. It only took a couple seconds for them to pump up & the noise went away, but it wasn't like they were magically going to get better.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I talked to the service manager at the Harley Dealer....told him all I am experiencing. Also, mentioned the above thoughts from you guys....Well....they are coming to pick up my bike tomorrow afternoon. Hmmmmm....do you think they may know something? Can we say recall?

I'lll keep you posted as to what happens....Thanks again you guys are awesome!

Diane

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well it wouldn't actually be a recall unless it's a safety issue. Whatever it is, it's under factory warranty so it shouldn't cost you a dime, unless you choose to upgrade whatever part (s) are defective.
Good luck & keep us posted on the diagnosis please.

Lil Chief

Reactions: bike51

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Most dealers are schooled to tell the customer that "they are all like that".
Sub-standard imported failing lifters to keep profits up, shareholders happy.
End user foots the bill.
We side-step that horse hockey and use an S&S lifter, with an adjustable pushrod loading the lifter at .140" to maintain proper preload at full thermal expansion.
Scott

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
One persons knock is another persons loud tic. I know Lil Chief and I both had lifter rattle. Mine would do it sometimes at cold start up, sometimes not. Sometimes after riding and hour or so, go in for a beer, come back out and crank, then it would rattle for as long as 2 minutes before pumping up. Mine was the front exhaust lifter. About a month ago after numerous times to make it do it at the dealer, I changed out to S&S standard lifters and have never had another problem. After I changed them out, I tore apart the front two lifters. Both had marks on the pistons and believe this is the reason for them hanging after bleed down at times. There is a pretty tight tolerance in a lifter and it doesn't take much for the piston to hang up. Poor quality control is what I believe in the manufacturing process. Just for everyone's info, Competition lifters are great lifters and less than half the price and also AMS in Ft. Worth, Texas has the rights to Johnson Hi-Lift (one of the best lifters ever made, these were in the chevy 327cu.in. 375 horse motors and the original lifters the harley used years ago. These are also great lifters and at at half the price , a bargain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts