Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all bought a used 2013 rgc bike is bone stock except for dealer debaffled exhaust. Bike has 3900 miles. I've owned it a week and after a 200 mile ride engine light came on and bike seemed low on power. Thanks to this site I've found my trouble codes p1510. P2122, and p2138.... Local dealer where bike was bought says its a couple months out of warranty. I've contacted previous owner, he said he had the light come on and same symptoms but the dealer replaced an intake gasket @3400 miles, i purchased bike with 3670 miles and to be honest I'm sickened by the thought I just purchased a headache! I have a mechanical background.... But zero experience with throttle by wire. To make all this even weirder it doesn't happen all the time !!!! Any advice?

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Is the bike just doggy or is there very little throttle response, how high does the RPM go to in the bikes present condition???
The P1510 DTC- TCA Limited response is going to be a DTC you will always see when there is a problem of most any kind, The ECM will see a problem with something and it will put the bike in limp mode to protect the engine.
Limp mode is where the bike has very little throttle response and you have just enough power to get the bike to a safe area.
The other 2 DTC you have are directly related to the TGS (Twist Grip Sensor) and that is your problem. The TGS is actually the throttle control in the handlebar, and it is a common problem with some of the late models Harleys.
You would either need to replace the TGS which is only a $90 item or you can try cutting the green connector and soldering the wires together. To get to the TGS you will need to remove the switch housing enough to pull the throttle grip off then the TGS will pull out of the end of the handlebar, in most cases you would need to remove the outer fairing and find the TGS plug to give you enough slack to get the green TGS plug which is inside the handlebar to end of the handlebar so you can work on it.
I would suggest going and getting the Harley service manual for your bike as soon as possible it will give you detailed information on how to repair most anything on the bike.
Also you should clear the DTCs you may get your throttle /power back but the problem could return until the TGS is addressed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, bike feels doggy, didn't notice a rpm limitation or anything bike almost feels like its running on 1 cyl it doesn't pop or backfire. I was an automotive mechanic for years so I'm familiar with limp mode but in the automatic transmission side of things. I cleared codes but won't be able to get some miles on her till the morning. I know I purchased from a private party but with it being a low mileage bike I was really hoping dealer would be a little more helpful.... I owned several Harley's before and this is my first throttle by wire, I sold my 2013 street bob to buy my dream bike.... Black denim roadglide I love the bike in the limited time I've got on it, but I rode my fxdb like a dirt bike and it loved it. I rode this bike like a cruiser and it's been problematic, due to my work schedule i really can only ride on the weekends, very unsettling knowing I'm losing riding time to repair such a new bike!! After all I bought a newer bike with low miles so I didn't have to spend time/ $ on repairs!!! The dealer i contacted was the dealer that sold this bike new, I'm the second owner

·
Registered
542 Posts
Bummer, I have a questionable dealer that I dont deal with anymore . If it was in under warranty and they didnt fix it..........then its still under warranty as far as I am concerned.
Fixing that green wire as Ironmark suggested is very easy to do.
I found mine had bare wire showing when the factory pulled the wire through the bars they scored it.
Good luck.
Glad you have a job.
Your lucky you found this site!!!!!

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Glad you got the problem fixed :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts