Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an FLTRU 2011 and just went over 1500 miles. Lately I have noticed a sort of rattle at only certain speeds. The worst is from 40 to 50 miles per hour in 5th gear.

Anyone ever had this problem before? If you did, is it normal or what did the dealer say?

Traveller

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have an FLTRU 2011 and just went over 1500 miles. Lately I have noticed a sort of rattle at only certain speeds. The worst is from 40 to 50 miles per hour in 5th gear.

Anyone ever had this problem before? If you did, is it normal or what did the dealer say?

Traveller
40 MPH in fifth gear sounds like you might be bogging it down? I don't shift in to 5th until at least 55 to 60 MPH.

Mylo

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll never go lower than 2000 rpm from third gear and up. 55-60 mph when I usually go to the fifth. I never let my bike "stomping" at low rpm's.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Gear cut

Correct me if im wrong guys, but arent the 5th and 1st gears cut differently, causing them to make more noise? Aside form RPM, this may have alot to do with the noises your hearing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys

The dealership took off the primary and checked and re-tightened everything. It was odd that i had just had my 1000 mile check up. I went with Full Synthetic oil. The service mgr suggested I go back to Normal Harley oil in the primary ... the said it is thicker? Anyway a Master Tech is going to sign it off tomorrow I hope, and I am off to Florida on Sunday. :D

Traveller

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, you all keep your RPM's up there huh? To my ear 2000 is a shift point I try to keep above it, but never really worried about it. Higher is better on a harley?

Taveller

·
Registered
585 Posts
Everyone loves to listen to harleys chug along. Especially at idle. I was on a ride with a CMA chapter on a narrow two lane backroad. I was in third gear, motoring along at speeds ranging 45 to 55. Everyone thought my bike sounded awesome. The rpm was up and I didn't wear my brakes much. Need to slow, let off the throttle and slow down.
Just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
So, you all keep your RPM's up there huh? To my ear 2000 is a shift point I try to keep above it, but never really worried about it. Higher is better on a harley?

Taveller
2k is way to low to shift. I usually shift at 3k or higher depending on how much I'm into the throttle. At 45 mph, I'm only in 3rd or maybe 4th gear. I don't hit 5th until at least over 55-60mph.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ditto on the above. Have always shifted around 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I have to agree with the others. 2000 RPM's is too low. You're lugging your engine and that's not good for your bike. Lugging puts a lot of stress on your engine; especially the lower end. I shift between 3000-3500 RPM's. In addition to being better for your bike, you'll feel more torque before you shift... And torque is fun.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Correct me if im wrong guys, but arent the 5th and 1st gears cut differently, causing them to make more noise? Aside form RPM, this may have alot to do with the noises your hearing.
GoneKat, like you I may need to be corrected but, but 5th gear has a helical cut gear, but that was to quiet/smooth it out when shifting and running in 5th. It should make less noise vice more.

Rowdy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Revalation!

You guys are NOT going to freaking believe what was causing the noise. And it took my mechanic Roy, which the man... and a Harley Master Tech.

I had put on some highway pegs. They are the ones that have the flip out heel support. When they are folded up, and the engine is at 2500 RPM which Roy said is a "Harmonic" in the Harley motor... and no kidding... He started the bike and rev'd it up and the foot peg was causing all the rattling.

Roy said they way that the Road Glide is made if it DID have a rattle it would be something that would be so loud people 3 blocks away could hear.

I did make all the service department laugh as I left and thanked them. I said I was in Rice Burner Recovery... It is my first Harley and I am there is so much to know.

Thanks for all your comments though.

Traveller

"Florida Bound"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts