Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres what I got. Just upgraded my system with a new Kenwood Marine media center Deck and remote Amp controller. Replaced the HK deck. Already had hawg wired RS 400 Amp and 4 speakers.

Up late last night eliminating a squeal out of my speakers which was present with the bike in acc. mode. The problem was a bad connection at the Amp. Cleaned all connections with electrical contact spray cleaner and applied a little dielectric grease...No squeal.

Put the fairing back on (anyone using X-TRIM, PITA) and hooked up my BI-ZENON HID lights.

Problems: 1. Horrible squeal and engine noise which increased when I roll on the throttle. Removed the headlight bezal and disconnected the headlights (The left never came on after putting the fairing back on, Hi Or Lo beam) Squeal seemed better but engine noise persists.
2. No left headlight. Switched Left and Right headlights. Left was dead. Re-checked left sided connections....could'nt get the left headlight to turn on.:confused:-ANY Ideas out there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Spark plugs

If you are running iridium plugs you might want to try the standard plugs, as my thundermax tuner picked up a RF interference from these plugs, and they recommended switching back to standard plugs, your stereo could be suffering same RF interference...just a thought..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are running iridium plugs you might want to try the standard plugs, as my thundermax tuner picked up a RF interference from these plugs, and they recommended switching back to standard plugs, your stereo could be suffering same RF interference...just a thought..
Plugs are stock. Thanks for the input though. Its got me stumped. Ill call hawg wired tomorrow. Maybe the HID ballast or the way the Amp gets acc power thru the cig. lighter:confused:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at a good article on Crutchfild.com on noise supression. Looks like I'll be pulling that fairing off again.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I can't do it from my tablet, but I can tell you it's a blue 4 channel filter with rca jacks in and out, cost is $30 it's an over seas seller, but it came fast. Just go to ebay and do a search for car audio filters, it'll come up. If you look further you'll probably find the same thing for a better price, I paid around $20, but it was over a year ago.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks DBELL, I think you hit the nail on the head. From what ive read my Amp being powered thru the cig. lighter may be an issue as well.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
You're only doing the remote from the lighter, correct? That shouldn't be a problem, but it can't hurt to try something different.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the fairing off in record time...under 10min (wish I could put it back on that fast). Moved my wires around to better separate RCA-plugs from amp to deck and acc. wire from + and -. Still hear the squeal but I dont think I hear the engine rev. thru the speakers.

I'm going to take the oppertunity to glue the X-trim to my inner fairing and sand down the inner "tabs" on the outter fairing to ease the process of putting the fairing back on.

Found a couple different types of filter. I think the PAC SN1 RCA Ground loop noise isolator is where i'll start. The NEW wire going from my Amp to the Deck has RCA connectors and this wire where it connects to the AMP was giving me problems last night when the bike was in Acc mode;) think I'm on the right track.

I also need to figure out why my left headlight wont work......looking for an exuse to by the Daymakers:eek:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Heres what I got. Just upgraded my system with a new Kenwood Marine media center Deck and remote Amp controller. Replaced the HK deck. Already had hawg wired RS 400 Amp and 4 speakers.

Up late last night eliminating a squeal out of my speakers which was present with the bike in acc. mode. The problem was a bad connection at the Amp. Cleaned all connections with electrical contact spray cleaner and applied a little dielectric grease...No squeal.

Put the fairing back on (anyone using X-TRIM, PITA) and hooked up my BI-ZENON HID lights.

Problems: 1. Horrible squeal and engine noise which increased when I roll on the throttle. Removed the headlight bezal and disconnected the headlights (The left never came on after putting the fairing back on, Hi Or Lo beam) Squeal seemed better but engine noise persists.
2. No left headlight. Switched Left and Right headlights. Left was dead. Re-checked left sided connections....could'nt get the left headlight to turn on.:confused:-ANY Ideas out there?
9 times out of 10, when ypu start having issues AFTER a stereo install, its usually due to a bad ground. I would start there first. Try and find a more suitable location or run the ground to the battery with quality ground wire. The reason I think its more to do with the ground is because of the headlight issue.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Are you running aftermarket spark plug wires?? Did you check the headlight bulb on the left side and see if it was good. If the headlight bulb was good than you probably have a ground problem and the noise in the sound system may be a result from the same ground problem.
I would be careful sanding down the fins on the fairings if you go to much the inner and outer fairing may not mate right, If smaller fins would have worked it would seem that HD would have made the fairings with smaller fins.
If you are having a problem getting the fins to lap right than I would look into your installation proceedure, if the outer fairing is install in the correct sequence there should be no issue lapping the fairing fins.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you running aftermarket spark plug wires?? Did you check the headlight bulb on the left side and see if it was good. If the headlight bulb was good than you probably have a ground problem and the noise in the sound system may be a result from the same ground problem.
I would be careful sanding down the fins on the fairings if you go to much the inner and outer fairing may not mate right, If smaller fins would have worked it would seem that HD would have made the fairings with smaller fins.
If you are having a problem getting the fins to lap right than I would look into your installation proceedure, if the outer fairing is install in the correct sequence there should be no issue lapping the fairing fins.
I believe the HID headlamp issue is seprate from from the engine noise. Talked to So Cal and they will send a new ballast (bulb is good)

Noise is a ground issue as others have stated. Talked with Hawg Wired and they are telling me to not use the RCA plugs with the kenwood deck but to hard wire the speakers into the amp like they were with th stock deck. 50 cents worth of parts....I'll do this Thurs.

The fairing: good advice to not modify the fins. Curious about the "correct" sequence. I have the aftermarket X-Trim on the inner fairing, much thicker than stock so its a bit tighter.

I'll keep you guys posted as I work on her over the next week. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question? I agree that my engine noise is coming from a bad ground. I think its a bad ground coming off the new deck. The Amp has a good ground on the frame and hasnt given me any problems since i put it in last year. Anyway, I'll figure that out soon. I'm not understanding why my left headlamp (HID) would stop working after changing my deck and removing my fairing:confused:Someone will have to explain that to me. I have read several posts where one side of the HID kit (usually the left) quits working for no significant reason. I agree that there could be a cause and effect from changing the deck but I dont see why. How does a bad ground on my deck cause my left headlamp to quit working?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

Engine noise is solved. Wired the Deck speaker wires directly to the Amp. as suggested by Hawg Wired. This eliminated the RCA plugs from the back of the deck and the acc. wire to the cig. lighter.
Im very impressed with the kenwood media center (under $90). Lots of features. Nice to be able to access my I-phone/pandora and EQ settings thru my thumbs. I also installed remote Amp. controller....pretty nice, a red light flashes when the amp begins to distorte. I'll be able to adjust the frq. and Gain without removing the fairing.:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts