Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a '12 FLTRX with 4700 miles and was just serviced 200 miles ago. It has stage 1 fuel moto 2-1-2 head pipe & 4" dyno tuned mufflers, power vision tuner. The noise is coming from (i think) the motor near my right foot. I thought it was a heat shield but now i think its coming from the cam chain. It sounds like a constant whine/rattle that i can plainly hear up to 2nd gear even over the radio, until wind noise drowns it out. When I pull in the clutch the noise stops. Id rather not take it back to the dealer if I can help it because its a 250km ride each way and no warranty on bike, and not sure if I should be riding it with this noise.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My bike is a '12 FLTRX with 4700 miles and was just serviced 200 miles ago. It has stage 1 fuel moto 2-1-2 head pipe & 4" dyno tuned mufflers, power vision tuner. The noise is coming from (i think) the motor near my right foot. I thought it was a heat shield but now i think its coming from the cam chain. It sounds like a constant whine/rattle that i can plainly hear up to 2nd gear even over the radio, until wind noise drowns it out. When I pull in the clutch the noise stops. Id rather not take it back to the dealer if I can help it because its a 250km ride each way and no warranty on bike, and not sure if I should be riding it with this noise.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I heard whine which I associate to the primary adjuster when I first got my 2012 and when I swapped the adjuster out it went away.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
If your hearing it from the cam chest it could be the hydraulic tensioners. I've heard of some prematurely failing, but not real common.

P

·
0 Posts
ide be checking the compesator (or the primary chain tensioner) both are for sh!t on the new bikes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input prodrag. Could you elaborate a bit on why you think it could be either of these, and where to start first. Would it make sense that I never heard It before I put pipes, air filter & tuner? Is it ok to drive the bike at all ? Or straight to the dealer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts