Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one having any problems with the self adjusting lifters? noticed the engine getting a rattle after the 1000 mile service and started getting a little louder. just change the oil to 60 weight and it seemed to help.
Is this sound normal or do I just need to put louder pipes on?
2011 Road Glide

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I hope you mean a multi-viscosity 60W oil, something like RedLine's 20-60W. I'd worry straight 60w oil would be too thick (especially during start up in anything but solid 80+ degree weather) and could be causing the lifter noise problem. Normally on a street bike you'd use 20-50W or 20-60W.

I did a quick internet search on straight 60W cycle oil...per Amsoil its normally used in ultra-high HP bikes(see description) but not in daily road cycles.
http://www.lubeoilsales.com/products/oil_chart.htm

Much older Harleys had larger clearances in the engine and needed 60W it reduce blowby the rings, hog piss(oil leaks), etc. But modern TwinCams have smaller oil orifices/passage ways. If you running straight 60W in your TwinCam due to engine heat in Florida, I'd think about getting some type of oil cooler instead and reverse to 20-50W or 20-60W. That way you have good oil flow at start-up.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
If you are running straight 60W you're asking for trouble. What type of oil were you running when you got the noise? I ran HD dino until my 5k service & now run Redline syn. Redline makes a 20/60w also

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are running straight 60W you're asking for trouble. What type of oil were you running when you got the noise? I ran HD dino until my 5k service & now run Redline syn. Redline makes a 20/60w also
I had the 20/50w until the 5000mile change. The techs at Orlando said they all use the HD SAE 60 in their bikes during the summer months in Florida, I have had no problems with starting the bike so far. The noise is less with the SAE 60 but still noticeable. What do ya think? lifter issue or am I just being. paranoid?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, forgot one thing, The bike is garage kept at night where the temp stays between 75 and 80 degrees. When I leave work temps are in the upper 90's and some times in stop and go traffic, that is another reason I went with the thicker HD oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
...and straight 60 in cooler weather can put alot of strain on your engine. Harley's are "wet-sump" so as you crank the engine the crank wants to stay put and connecting rods and piston want to move causing - at best - premature bearing wear, and at worst, blowing the engine. Sraight 60 is like grease at cooler temps. Hope you already flushed it, bro!!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I reviewed my 2008 Owners Manual and do see that straight 60w oil is an option when the lowest ambient temp is 80 degrees, so I can see where the HD techs are getting this info from (and the basis of my earlier comment on temp above).

Since I don't use that heavy an oil where I'm at, I can't provide any feedback on lifter noise. Perhaps some other southern riders can chime in on if they experience more lifter noise when running 60W.

But I will add, is this lifter noise more more noticeable on start-up, I'd suspect its the thicker oil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reviewed my 2008 Owners Manual and do see that straight 60w oil is an option when the lowest ambient temp is 80 degrees, so I can see where the HD techs are getting this info from (and the basis of my earlier comment on temp above).

Since I don't use that heavy an oil where I'm at, I can't provide any feedback on lifter noise. Perhaps some other southern riders can chime in on if they experience more lifter noise when running 60W.

But I will add, is this lifter noise more more noticeable on start-up, I'd suspect its the thicker oil.
I have less noise with the 60 while riding and at start up. when the bike gets hot is when the noise is most predominate. The 2011 owners manual states to use sae60 in temps over 80

·
Registered
587 Posts
Have you changed anything else on the bike? Even changing the windshield will make the bike "sound" different. When I first put the lowers on my bike, I thought the engine was shot. All I can say is these bikes make a lot of mechanical noise, but if you feel something is not right it may be worth your piece of mind to have it checked out.

I have heard of very few issues with the later model lifters (or valve train for that matter). But there can always be a defect, these machines were designed and made by men (or women).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you changed anything else on the bike? Even changing the windshield will make the bike "sound" different. When I first put the lowers on my bike, I thought the engine was shot. All I can say is these bikes make a lot of mechanical noise, but if you feel something is not right it may be worth your piece of mind to have it checked out.

I have heard of very few issues with the later model lifters (or valve train for that matter). But there can always be a defect,

What you said about changing anything made me think! When i bought the bike in March I was wearing a full faced helmet, then switched to a 3/4 in the middle of May, then went to a half helmet last week. I guess i am able to hear a lot more with out my ears being covered up.

Thank you to all for your imput on this issue! I will keep an eye and ear on it to see if it changes any more. I hate when a problem is operator error,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Harley's have always had noisy valve train. than you add fuel injector noise It's enough to make anyone think shes ready to blow.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
my 2011 103 is the quietest harley mechanically I have ever heard. I use 20-50 mobil 1 vtwin but I live in Montana and if I lived in Fla. I would not hesitate to run 60wt. On my last bike in montana I always ran 50wgt in the summer and never had an issue in over 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm glad this question was asked. I rode a Fat Boy with the old EVO motor before buying my RG. I was shocked at how much "clatter" the motor makes. Perhaps it is the ability to actually hear the engine that made it sound so bad? On the Fat Boy all I heard was wind noise and the pipes. :) I'll relax now that you folks think this is "normal".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts