Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a set of Andrews 54 cams, and S&S premium lifters in my 15 RGS. I pulled the spark plugs, and spun the engine with the starter a little, in the hopes of pumping up some oil pressure for the initial startup. When I hit the starter, it sounded like I had spun a rod, so I shut down immediately. I waited a minute, hit the starter again, this time it was quieter. I assume that there was no oil, or pressure in the pump. For the first 5 or 10 minutes of running the engine there was top end noise, sounding like the lifters were not pumping up, which steadily decreased, until it quit making noise.It appears to sound normal to me now. Is this normal when doing a cam install? Should I worry about possible damage? This was my first cam install, so I am a little uncertain.
Roger

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Normal for a new cam install, takes a bit for the lifters to bleed out. As long as it's quiet and shows normal oil pressure, LET 'ER RIP!!!

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I think your fine. New install requires a short time for oil to circulate into the new parts. If you continue to hear noise then maybe report back. Keep in mind new cams with a higher lift might produce a little more noise than stock.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Check your push rod adjustment

I installed a set of Andrews 54 cams, and S&S premium lifters in my 15 RGS. I pulled the spark plugs, and spun the engine with the starter a little, in the hopes of pumping up some oil pressure for the initial startup. When I hit the starter, it sounded like I had spun a rod, so I shut down immediately. I waited a minute, hit the starter again, this time it was quieter. I assume that there was no oil, or pressure in the pump. For the first 5 or 10 minutes of running the engine there was top end noise, sounding like the lifters were not pumping up, which steadily decreased, until it quit making noise.It appears to sound normal to me now. Is this normal when doing a cam install? Should I worry about possible damage? This was my first cam install, so I am a little uncertain.
Roger
When I did my install I had a lifter hang on me at start up. I called S&S and they sent a replacement set next day air. Put them in and no issue after that. Lifters don't take 5 to 10 minutes to pump up. Also, next time I suggest to pump them up before you install them.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I'm sure you did use assembly lube liberally on the new Torrington inner cam bearings, on the cam plate cam surface, on the lobes themselves, and pumped the lifters full of oil. Doing this prevents damage to the metal on metal surfaces before oil is flowing. Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks All for the feedback. Unfortunately, I did not pump up the lifters, if that was in the service manual, I must have overlooked it. Everything sounds ok, just sent me into a panic at first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts