Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to do the second service on my 2012 Roady and I am trying to figure out what's the best oil for my engine. I used M1 20/50 in my 2008 but the manual says something about oil with the same propreties for use in diesel engines being better. I know there is A LOT of opinions about oil but post them all so I can get some good info about it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Pick a 20/50 oil that you like and stick with it. Truth be told, there really isn't a bad oil out there anymore. Even the cheapest of todays oils work just fine. The key is proper service intervals.
Now get a tub of popcorn and watch the opinions fly. Most everyone on here is going to say either Amsoil, Mobile1, Redline, or Royal Purple. Oh and there will be the occasional Valvoline user. :eek: Not bashing anyone opinions, this is just my observance after 30 plus years in the maintenance field.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If memory serves, the Maint Manual's reference to Diesel Engine oil is in the event if oil, specific to air-cooled engines, is NOT available - then go with a diesel formulated oil.
The question I would ask, is whether you plan to change your oil at 3000 mile, or 5000 mile intervals. I personally enjoy maintaining my bike so I use conventional, rather than synthetic oil to save $$$. Also, I am changing fluids way before they start to break down so the engine is fully protected.
As has been said, any reputable brand of oil - specific to air-cooled engines is good.
Just don't mix conventional with synthetic. If you switch to synthetic, stay with synthetic.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You can easily go 5000 miles on dino oil. Changing it sooner may give you piece of mind but it will also give you a lighter wallet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really just wanted to hear from those with the 103's about the diesel properties oil or not.
But of corse I would like to know what everyone is using? No Arguing,just what are you using?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I like Amsoil.Used it in my 02,and the "bad" cam chain tensioners lasted 75,000 miles.

might not have been because of the oil,but I like using a true synthetic.but that topic has been beat to death on other forums,lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only Amsoil

I've become an avid user of Amsoil products so much that I use Amsoil in all my vehicles. I am getting ready to complete the 5000 mile service on my 2012 RG. On the day I bought the bike (used with 1450 miles), the dealer told me the first service was completed and Amsoil 20W50 oil was used. Plan to keep using Amsoil since I have had no problems using it in my 2004 VTX 1800 for 78,000 miles & still going strong.

Axe2012

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Pick a 20/50 oil that you like and stick with it. Truth be told, there really isn't a bad oil out there anymore. Even the cheapest of todays oils work just fine. The key is proper service intervals.
Now get a tub of popcorn and watch the opinions fly. Most everyone on here is going to say either Amsoil, Mobile1, Redline, or Royal Purple. Oh and there will be the occasional Valvoline user. :eek: Not bashing anyone opinions, this is just my observance after 30 plus years in the maintenance field.
Amen. Keep your oil level at the proper level and change it per the manual. Of course Mobil 1 is the best. :eek:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have only done one oil change since I got my new to me 07. It had 45,000 in January it now has 52,500.

I talked with the previous owner and he ran synthetic. The dealer when it was serviced at the 45,000 trade in they put dino in it

The dino ran good but the Royal Purple synthetic I replaced it with at 50,000 is MUCH MUCH better. Quietened down the valves and lifters instantly.

As for the diesel oil the service manual says to use it if you can't find the standard weight motorcycle oils as it has the same properties as far as detergents etc.

I know some people swear by it but I don't know any personally. Say it holds up better as it is made for the higher temp and compression diesel engines.

Personally I will stick with the synthetics and the standard maintaince schedule.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I am trying to figure out what's the best oil for my engine. I used M1 20/50 in my 2008 but the manual says something about oil with the same propreties for use in diesel engines being better.
this is nothing new. hd has been saying that for years, it's not just for the 103s.

regular maintenance is the best thing, brand of oil is secondary.

but if you want to use a good oil, that is cheap also, go with the 5 qt jug of m1 15-50 from walmart. runs about $27 for 5 qts. unfortunately, wm stopped selling it in their stores, but have started selling it again in some. just not mine :(

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Its not just the 103's, its all twin cams that the owners manual calls for diesel grade oil if HD 360 or SYN3 isn't available. It has to do with the cooling jets that squirt oil on the bottom of the pistons. Diesel engines have this also to aid in extracting heat from the pistons. And just like diesel engines this causes the oil temps to run in the mid to upper 200 degree range and as far as the low 300's. Some people freak out and think this is going to melt the engine or the oil is going to degrade too quickly. Relax, its perfectly normal. In fact your twin cam engine is actually designed to run at those temperatures and so is the oil that goes in it. Think about it for a minute. If those temps were so harmful to the oil and caused it to break down and damage your engine in just 2 or 3 thousand miles do you think the moco would call for 5000 miles as an oil change interval? Or would they be offering a two year unlimited mile warranty?
I know here it comes. Some are going to say "but my harley is air cooled and diesel engines are liquid cooled." Yeah, so it doesnt really matter how its cooled, 280 degrees is 280 degrees. Go look at modern comercial diesel engines from Cat or Cummins, guess what..... the ECM's don't moniter oil tempurature only coolant temp. Oh and with a 15psi radiator cap that makes the coolant boiling point over 250 degrees. In fact in testing I have done on diesel engings we've seen oil temps well over 300 with no ill effects.
So like I said in earlier post. Relax, pick an oil you like, and service it properly and your engine will last for a long long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If its not broke dont fix it

Molbil V-Twin
Mobli 75w-90
Formula +
My last bike RKC had 60k no problems, so i think i will stay with above

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the dealer put in syn 3 at my first service and I will stick with it. I noticed it shifted a bit smoother with the synthetic oil

·
Registered
931 Posts
used Syn 3 for the first 20K, last service switched to Redline oils for all three holes and to tell you the truth... I really cant tell a difference. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts