Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HD has as bolt on cooling unit that goes behind the rear jug, and pulls air across the two heads and exits it out the bottom of the bike away from the rider and passenger. The Rub is it’s only for the 2017 on Rushmore bikes.

Does anyone make a cooler/fan unit that will tuck in behind the rear head to pull air away from the rider?. I get stuck in DC traffic a lot and am not looking forward to having a space heater next to my legs on I-95 at a dead stop…

Thanks in advance…

Bryan

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
LoveJugs and Ward Cooling Fans both make products that cool the engine via electrical fans. The only rub is that Ward is supposedly not making them anymore (a rather recent development). Home - Love Jugs

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Love Jugs is now making a fan identical to Wards, I've talked with the owners of Love Jugs and it's too long to go into, but I haven't been able to contact Jason from Wards. JIMs also makes a fan.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
HD has as bolt on cooling unit that goes behind the rear jug, and pulls air across the two heads and exits it out the bottom of the bike away from the rider and passenger. The Rub is it’s only for the 2017 on Rushmore bikes.

Does anyone make a cooler/fan unit that will tuck in behind the rear head to pull air away from the rider?. I get stuck in DC traffic a lot and am not looking forward to having a space heater next to my legs on I-95 at a dead stop…

Thanks in advance…

Bryan
Not sure who told you that the fans pulled air across the 2 heads or where you read it but those fans are no where near powerful enough to do that. Now does it help dissipate the heat that tends to sit right in between the rear cylinder and the mid-frame? Yes they do and that alone could be worth the cost. Also, there might be a chance that they would fit on a previous year bike but you would have to find a dealer that would let you take one out to your bike and loosely mock it up to see if it would work. There may be significant changes in that area on the M8's that would not allow them to work on previous models but there are many parts that say in the catalog that they only fit certain year model bikes but can actually work on previous models. Maybe someone on here has found a way to make them work and they will chime in.

With all that being said I would opt for the LUV Juggs style fans as they DO blow air across the fins and they do make a difference for the engine. The rider will not feel less heat, mostly because the fans blow the hot air towards your right leg, but if you ride in any stop and go traffic they actually work to help keep the engine cooler in those situations. If you don't ride in stop and go traffic I would say save your money for something else as they are useless at speeds over 30mph. Give or take. JMO

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Love Jugs is now making a fan identical to Wards, I've talked with the owners of Love Jugs and it's too long to go into, but I haven't been able to contact Jason from Wards. JIMs also makes a fan.
That new fan from Love Jugs looks just like the Ward set up. Switch is mounted different, but otherwise almost a direct copy.

I have to wonder if they solved their differences with someone being bought out. If not, then some lawyers are going to be busy.

LJ

Wards

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
M8s also have a new fan oil cooler; OP maybe take a look at the fan oil coolers out there or fit one to your already existing cooler...the LJ / Wards clone isnt available yet...I also drive the DC/ VA corridor..its gets pretty hot..so looking forward to what my wethead ultra does in it...

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
That new fan from Love Jugs looks just like the Ward set up. Switch is mounted different, but otherwise almost a direct copy.

I have to wonder if they solved their differences with someone being bought out. If not, then some lawyers are going to be busy.

LJ

Wards

I was thinking same thing. It's basically a clone, way to close to call your own. I'm sure we'll find out more details if dBell gets in touch with Jason

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
The trouble with any cooling fan is that it mounts where the horn is and then blows hot air on your right leg. So your cylinder head temp without the fan is around 280 degrees and with the fan 250 degrees (#'s are just a example). Are you going to be more comfortable with 250 degree air blowing on your right leg? As fas as I'm concerned the answer would be no, face it you're riding a bike with a heat pump in it and the hotter the engine is the hotter you'll be. Stop and go traffic isn't your friend because the engine gets hot along with the rider, the engine fan will prolong the amount of time you can idle in stop and go traffic but the fan will not keep up with the heat the engine will produce. Any engine heat over 250 will become uncomfortable if you sit there long enough. JMO

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have had Jason's fans for years, on my 10.5/1 motor it's a difference between a pinger and a non pinger in the heat of the summer. The oil temperature stays very consistent 180-220 range, which is a huge difference and peace of mind I'm not cooking my expensive motor. Yes it's still hot to sit on, but not as bad as sitting on one that's 300*.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have had Jason's fans for years, on my 10.5/1 motor it's a difference between a pinger and a non pinger in the heat of the summer. The oil temperature stays very consistent 180-220 range, which is a huge difference and peace of mind I'm not cooking my expensive motor. Yes it's still hot to sit on, but not as bad as sitting on one that's 300*.
Exactly!

My 2011 103 was a pissy POS in warm weather. After a run on the slab it would go into temp management at the end of the ramp. And ping while it idled.

Cams tuner ect. didn't make it much better in the heat. Actually made it ping more.

The fans fixed it. I can sit in stop and go traffic in the high nineties and the scooter is fine. Head temps under 200f.

Is my right leg hot? You bet. But I'd rather have a hot leg then be sitting beside a hot interstate waiting for traffic to start moving. Or having to cut the scooter off at every stop light like I see some peeps doing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm waiting on whoever starts selling their fans... The SE 110 isn't too back with these cooler temps, but with summer coming I'll want the temps down.

As for the hot right leg... I don't know about the rest of you, but when it's hot and in traffic, my bike still cooks my right leg. May be the moving hot air will feel cooler that the bike just baking my leg... :grin:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Harley rear fan. As the other post said it's supposed to pull the air down and away from the legs. Mine is a 17 RGS. I'll report back when it gets hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I'm waiting on whoever starts selling their fans... The SE 110 isn't too back with these cooler temps, but with summer coming I'll want the temps down.

As for the hot right leg... I don't know about the rest of you, but when it's hot and in traffic, my bike still cooks my right leg. May be the moving hot air will feel cooler that the bike just baking my leg... :grin:

It's really no worse to sitting on than a scooter without fans. You get caught in traffic on a 95f day, and everything gets hot in a hurry. The rocker boxes are hot, the primary is hot, the exhaust is scorching. I've even had the asphalt burn my soles while the sun was cooking through the tops of my boots. But my leg never got so hot as as to make me consider turning that fan off.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I took the Wards fans apart, and re-attached them to a steel bracket and mounted it behind the last cylinder under the seat. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I took the Wards fans apart, and re-attached them to a steel bracket and mounted it behind the last cylinder under the seat. Works like a charm.
Do you have a picture you can post?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I installed the new Love Jugs Mighty Mite fan (Wards copy cat) on my 2015 RGS. It without a doubt works very well at cooling things down while in that stop and go traffic on hot day. And, my right leg doesn't get any hotter when the fan is on, to when it is off. I honestly don't feel any difference, my right leg hot ether way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered the Love Jugs Mighty Mite in chrome for the bike.

Now just have to get the Aux switch issue sorted out. I got the aux switch kit and the dealer parts guy swore "This is what you need for a Road Glide Ultra", only the bike did not have the switch housing. Ordered one on line as none of the dealers in the area had one in stock.

And HD was backordered.

I'm trying to find the PN for just one switch for the fog lights, as I don't want to have to tear this thing apart again to install one push button switch. I've seen the PN somewhere but can' find it, and the catalog does not have a single switch listed.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I ordered the Love Jugs Mighty Mite in chrome for the bike.

Now just have to get the Aux switch issue sorted out. I got the aux switch kit and the dealer parts guy swore "This is what you need for a Road Glide Ultra", only the bike did not have the switch housing. Ordered one on line as none of the dealers in the area had one in stock.

And HD was backordered.

I'm trying to find the PN for just one switch for the fog lights, as I don't want to have to tear this thing apart again to install one push button switch. I've seen the PN somewhere but can' find it, and the catalog does not have a single switch listed.

Bryan
I messed with the oem temp control and aux switch for a few years, and always seemed to have an issue pop up out on the road. In traffic to be sure. The temperature sensor was never really up to snuff. And the connection between the jugs was susceptible to water and dirt. And I wanted the switch for my fog lamps.

So I rewired it to use a temperature switch tapped into the rear of the front head and a relay. Then wired it up with weather tight connectors. Been playing with a 160F switch, and the scooter really likes it. Got a 180f switch to try if I ever get around to it.

I used a buffered relay, never really liked the idea of fans coasting down on anything with an ecm. It just does it's own thing now. If I need to disable it, I use the switch on the fan bracket.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I am interested in this also...maybe a new niche for Mr Ward? Or maybe you should apply for a patent so LJ wont apply after you make a good one...

Can you give us more info?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the Might Might's will be here soon and just in time for the summer of heat going across the 95 American legion Bridge.

The Aux switches will arrive sometime nest week or so and I hope to have them installed by early May.

Thanks for all the input!

Bryan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts