Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I was wondering if any of you has ever experienced this: I rode the bike last Saturday for about 30 miles. Everything is running fine. I was caught in some very light rain when all of the sudden the engine stopped, all electrical was gone (no turn signal, no hazards). I coasted to the shoulder and stopped the bike. After putting the ignotion to off and turned the engine switch to off and turned all back on and the bike started right up and I did ride home. This was on a Freeway. Have to admit that I got a little nervous there for a moment. Has anyone ever experienced that? What could it be? I am thinking that the ignition switch may have not been fully in the "on position" and the vibration may have slipped it far enough over that it lost contact, but I am not sure.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mike a.k.a. Germanglide

·
Registered
483 Posts
since you lost everything it could have been the main breaker they are known to go bad with age you should be able to get a replacement at any auto parts store reasonable .

Eagle

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is my experience

since you lost everything it could have been the main breaker they are known to go bad with age you should be able to get a replacement at any auto parts store reasonable .

Eagle
I believe it was 2008 on the freeway (I-10) coming home from Houston, the same thing happend to me several times on a 2000 Softail. I will say the first time it happened I was a tad nervous too.
Changed out the main breaker & it never happened again. I can't say this is your issue, but it sounds similar.

·
Registered
505 Posts
More than one possibility:

1. Main breaker as already mentioned.

2. Loose battery cables.

3. Ignition switch going bad.

4. Terminal end on main power wire running from main breaker to front of bike is heating up. This is very common.

5. Loose connection somewhere or wire that has rubbed thru on metal somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. I will be in the garage on the weekend trying to figure this out and fix it.

CraigP95, I was on the Hardy Toll Road. Fortunately that is not quite as exciting as breaking down on I-10... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts