Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a spin today around 11:00 am. Outside Temp was about 92 degrees. Pretty hot here is S. California. Ride was in light traffic with some red lights and also a quick run up the freeway for about 7 miles then back on surface streets. About 30 minutes total riding time with 2 quick stops at the store. My PV was indicating engine temp at around 282 degrees while riding and around 290 to 292 while stopped.

I have the Fuel Moto Sport Pipe (ceramic coated), recored mufflers with SE intake. Base map from Fuel Moto with about 3 Auto tune runs. Bike seems to run fairly strong with no issues other than a lot of heat coming off engine. Running Redline sync in all 3 holes. This is my first fuel injected Harley and I know they run hot but would this be considered acceptable ? Last bike was 06' Street Glide (96") with a carb and it didn't put off as much heat - at least that I could feel. I guess I'm just thinking that with the tune and header/breather and Redline it would run a bit cooler? Thanks for any feedback....

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
It's an air cooled engine. If you don't have fast moving air going over the fins, it's gonna heat up. The temps you reported are normal for stop and go riding. My PV displays pretty much the same as your when I hit stop and go traffic. Hit the highway and you should see temps drop to the 245 range at 92 degree ambient temps.

If it's a 103, they do run hotter than your SG 96....... that's why they come with oil coolers.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Where is this temp read coming from? Is it reading the Oil temp, Head temp, other?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Where is this temp read coming from? Is it reading the Oil temp, Head temp, other?
It reads the temp sensor at the back of the front jug. If you look behind your horn, you can see it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Your # are normal. I live in the So Cal desert , temps this week are in the low 100s . My bike is always running close to 275-290 degrees in short runs with stops it will drop while cruising to the high 250 -260 in this summer weather. Only once had the Temp management kick in and shut down 1 cyl that was on a hour traffic jam on the 405 in 100 degree day

I also run Redline in all 3 holes and during the summer I chane the engine oil out at 3000 miles instead of 5000 due to the heat it encounters. Been running Redline in all 4 of my HDs and logged over 150,000 miles with no engine problems due to the temps.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Just for more info to support the above, my '11 103 runs at close to the same numbers. Last Saturday it was 90 or just above, my temps were 255-260 on the open highway at 60-70mph. I will jump up to as much as 300 or so fairly quickly when you get down to parking lot speeds. A this same time my oil temp was right at 200-210* on the highway.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback Gents. Just wanted to make sure the bike wasn't running too hot. I miss my carb bikes !

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Gents. Just wanted to make sure the bike wasn't running too hot. I miss my carb bikes !
Me too!

I've been trying to cool things off myself by adding more fuel in the idle range, haven't had a chance to really test it, but given the expected 90-100 degrees expected over the next few days, I'm thinking it won't be enough! :)

Thank dog for lane splitting!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks, PGR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
High Temp (340-350) on PV2

I just wanted to see how the scoot is doing and say that I've been having the same issue on my 2013 FXDWG. I'm running a basic stage 1 with the Arlene Ness Big Sucker and some Rush Short Series full system duals. I am not using their heat shields, but, rather have Titanium wrap from DEI. The last few days I've noticed my scoot running warm so I threw on my PV2 and did some auto tuning and data logging. This morning the outside temp was around 60 and she got up to 311 degrees in the stop-and-go. On the short freeway portion she was down to 250. This afternoon the traffic walking got her up to 353! I couldn't get he down past 305 on the freeway. I flashed this morning's tune in hopes it would cool 'er down, but, it obviously didn't. I flashed the auto tune from this afternoon, but, I don't think it'll help. I have loaded the recommended tune for my setup, but, it just seems to get too hot. What d'yall think?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I see the same temps as stated above. The temp reading must be a calculated number, last summer I was climbing near the top of Pike's Peak with ambient fairly chilly and my PV was reading temps up to 460. No associated issues such as pre-ignition, but had me concerned as I watched it continue to climb.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I see the same temps as stated above. The temp reading must be a calculated number, last summer I was climbing near the top of Pike's Peak with ambient fairly chilly and my PV was reading temps up to 460. No associated issues such as pre-ignition, but had me concerned as I watched it continue to climb.

I hope that's a typo. 460?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I hope that's a typo. 460?
No typo, the temp on my PV continued to climbed up to about 460. I would know if it was actually overheating and it was not. Figured it must be a calculated value thrown off by the elevation. I have the heads off now actually and no signs of any excessive heat.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
No madder how hot the air was or how much traffic the highest I ever saw was 370. With the Lenale fan about 260 in 3 hour DC traffic

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have the same problem since I got my 2012 fltru. I've added the ceramic FM head pipe and the power vision tuner with stage 1 and SE breather and CFR slippons with 204 cams and right now running a SERT. When I try and load the power vision map it backfires and studders when I take off but after you get going it will run alright. I requested a new map a little over a month ago but I've never heard back. So right now I use the PV as a expensive gauge and at low speeds my will reach way over 360 and even hotter with a infrared heat gun. It gets so hot you can't stand to be on it. Even if it's cool out it will run that hot so you you can get a anwser to your problem be sure and let me know cuz I could use some relief

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have seen my temps go up to around 420 stuck in NYC traffic jams, and it runs fairly hot most of the time because long island is basically one traffic light after the other so the bike never really gets to cool down, I finally broke down and tried wards fans and I am pleased to report temps dropped about 30 degrees. We got stuck in some traffic going to the PA m&g and the bike did very well in traffic. I really thought they were going to fail miserably but they came away doing very well. If you have heat issues I definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I think temperature gauges are the single largest cause of anxiety and excessive compulsive disorder in Harley riders.

I just wanted to see how the scoot is doing and say that I've been having the same issue on my 2013 FXDWG. I'm running a basic stage 1 with the Arlene Ness Big Sucker and some Rush Short Series full system duals. I am not using their heat shields, but, rather have Titanium wrap from DEI. The last few days I've noticed my scoot running warm so I threw on my PV2 and did some auto tuning and data logging. This morning the outside temp was around 60 and she got up to 311 degrees in the stop-and-go. On the short freeway portion she was down to 250. This afternoon the traffic walking got her up to 353! I couldn't get he down past 305 on the freeway. I flashed this morning's tune in hopes it would cool 'er down, but, it obviously didn't. I flashed the auto tune from this afternoon, but, I don't think it'll help. I have loaded the recommended tune for my setup, but, it just seems to get too hot. What d'yall think?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts