Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my RGS for j ust over two years now.

From the dealership that bike always sounded like it wasn't going to turnover and start, even though over the past two years it always has started.

Just for my interest has anyone had the same problem; and anyone solved it??

SLIM

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Check your battery voltage. It is possible that the battery was never fully charged before it was put in the bike and the first time the start button was hit it set the max voltage for that battery. After that, no matter how long you charge the battery it could never be charged above that. The other possibility is that the battery could have a bad cell. If that is the case, it could show excellent peak voltage then you would have to do a load test to see if it is weak there. If it is then I would just replace the battery. If you buy a new battery and plan on installing it yourself put it on a slow charge until the battery is fully charged before you put it in your bike.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I bought a new road glide in 2010. After about 4.5 years. I replaced the battery. I put in a "deka". Much better. The bike had never started this good in the previous 4.5 years. I think the oem battery had 350 cca. And the deka has 400 cca.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Been that way for a lot of years now. Mostly its an issue of where the starter is and all of the lost energy by the the time it actually gets around to spinning the motor over. Add to that the limits on the compression releases imposed by EPA regulations and you get a hard starting motorcycle.

Higher output battery is the easy fix. Do double check your charging system first, many are not putting out what they are rated for.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I installed 4 gauge marine cables on my RS Warrior and i'm thinking of doing it to my RGC. I replaced the starter wire and battery cables. I think it made a big difference in how it starts. It might do as well on the Harley. It seems to not drain the battery as much when starting. Just make sure your battery is good first. I have a lithium battery in my Yamaha, but i don't think i will go that route in the Harley.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been that way for a lot of years now. Mostly its an issue of where the starter is and all of the lost energy by the the time it actually gets around to spinning the motor over. Add to that the limits on the compression releases imposed by EPA regulations and you get a hard starting motorcycle.

Higher output battery is the easy fix. Do double check your charging system first, many are not putting out what they are rated for.
Thanks Thermodyne - I also thought about the charger, but even after a four hour run of 350 kilometers, it does the same.

Methinks a new battery is worth a try.

SLIM

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 2016 RG had the same issue starting. Still under 2yr warranty dealer tested the battery and it failed. Replaced for free under warranty. Starts with no delay now.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have had my RGS for j ust over two years now.

From the dealership that bike always sounded like it wasn't going to turnover and start, even though over the past two years it always has started.

Just for my interest has anyone had the same problem; and anyone solved it??

SLIM
I, like the others would say test the battery. But since you say it's been that way since it was new, I would get them to check the compression releases. One could be failing (or failed) or something as simple as they weren't turned on from the factory. Would the last be possible? Yes but not probable. One very well could be bad. I bought a new set of SE 5.3 injectors and one failed within 30 days. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Check all connection insure they are clean and snug. Put bike on tender over night. Start the next morning . If it spins right up leave it off tender and ride as normal. if in a day or two it goes back to sluggish start. Do tender one more time if the results are the same you need a battery. Normally get 5-7 years from factory batteries , but shit happens.
Starting my m8 at 29 degrees when it has been ridden on short rides and not on the tender it will be a bit sluggish. Put it on tender over night fires up like summer. Better to replace a battery than a starter for low voltage.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Well everyone is pointing to the battery but I'm going to say compensator may be the problem. To begin with HD put in compression releases just because of the compensator issues they been having since the 96 inch engine came out. If the bike cranks slow or has starter stall which is a common when the engine is hot then the compensator my be the problem. My 96 didn't come with CR's and I did upgrade to a 103 and when I tried starting the bike it wanted to crank slow and have starter stall so I took it to the dealer twice and they replaced the starter both times. So after 2 new starters failed to correct the problem I put in the HD SE compensator sprocket and my starting issues went away and to this day I still have the same starter in the bike that the dealer put in under warranty in 2008. Not saying that the battery is going bad but take a look at the compensator if the battery doesn't correct the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts