Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking, but what's the benefit of installing a turbo on a stock motor vs upgrade motor/new crate motor? Hmmm...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A turbo on a stock bottom end won't last very long. Harley is having issues with the cranks naturally aspirated add some boost (more cylinder pressure) and your done.

I think a turbo would be a awesome idea if you do crank work. Without it your just asking for problems.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Pat.. how's your 124 treating you.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
You and I have been talking for a 124
Here is one of our 124 with Trask turbo
199 hp
That's freakin awesome. I just need to go rob a bank so I can get a 124 nevermind the turbo. That's got to be one sick ride

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
For a street/touring motor I would take a normally aspirated over a turbo any day .. Look at Franks numbers on the dyno , it's making awesome power at engine speeds way above where the engine lives 90 % of the time ..

To each his own , I don't see the practicality of a turbo for my purposes ..

JtB

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
A turbo would be fun for sure, but i think they screw up the lines of a bike and look like crap. Big and dumb motor for me. Size matters. I like the power and torque of a larger motor. While I can't say that I've ridden a turbo charged bike, the power of a big bore bike while riding twisty mountain roads is quite intoxicating.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I like the looks of the turbos on the baggers . I think they look great with the big wheel fad and longer bags. When you see a bike with a trask turbo, you know it a contender for a fast bagger.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Bid cubic inch motors, and turbo charging are awesome power makers, but they are still only as good as the weakest link, so where does the cash flow stop, primary work, transmission work, final drive work. If everything is done properly, it will be a pure adrenaline rush every time you twist the throttle, just have a big stack of dead presidents ready spend. :D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Never rode a turbo harley but have ridden a turbo hyabusa with 350hp. Damn front end wouldn't say on the ground in the first 4 gears and I accidentally stained the seat a little.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Never rode a turbo harley but have ridden a turbo hyabusa with 350hp. Damn front end wouldn't say on the ground in the first 4 gears and I accidentally stained the seat a little.
one reason i went with a bigger motor versus turbo. Torque right away!!!:D
Still stained my pants once in a while

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Take a look at this 110 motor TQ monster we re-did with trask 22mm turbo you can move the TQ and HP where you want it easy when you know what your doing with motor build and blower:D

3200 rpm 140 plus tq on a 110 wow!!!! Street bike pump gas no issues....
Peak is 162 TQ

For a street/touring motor I would take a normally aspirated over a turbo any day .. Look at Franks numbers on the dyno , it's making awesome power at engine speeds way above where the engine lives 90 % of the time ..

To each his own , I don't see the practicality of a turbo for my purposes ..

JtB

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
The devil is in the details ..

While I can and have re built Harleys , I definitely do not profess to be an expert by any stretch of my imagination or anyone else's ..

So my question Frank is , provided the motor and clutch are set up properly for that kind of power and torque , and as a figure to use , if that motor stayed under 4000 rpm , is it feasible to say that turbo setup is capable of 75-100k ??

JtB

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Yes its like any thing else it s all in your wrist!!! how hard will you beat it.:)
Before it breaks

You have to remember theres a blow off valve its not under boost at all times only when you are on the throttle then its under boost
Most of the time its a low compression motor easy to start not at 10:5 or higher compression like a NA motor will be.
But air is free for now lol and its nice to have ever passing power at your finger tips.

The devil is in the details ..

While I can and have re built Harleys , I definitely do not profess to be an expert by any stretch of my imagination or anyone else's ..

So my question Frank is , provided the motor and clutch are set up properly for that kind of power and torque , and as a figure to use , if that motor stayed under 4000 rpm , is it feasible to say that turbo setup is capable of 75-100k ??

JtB

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
A big build engine or a turbo engine is definitely for the thrill seekers but you may have to look at the extra strain on the other components such as trans/clutch, belts etc and how long they may last with all the added torque/HP.
How often can you use the new found power considering that most of the time when on a ride there isn't much of a chance to open up the bike and enjoy the power without drawing the attention of law enforcement.
A 96/103/110 engine will provide a lot of riding pleasure under normal riding conditions and you have a lot of cash in your pocket to enjoy those road trips too. JMO

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I originally bought the '09 SERG with the intention of installing the Trask Turbo, 'got to thinking about the heat (comfort for us in Florida), and the Vented Lowers were the final piece of the Aero puzzle for us, so we decided on a little motor work instead...

IMO, the Trask Turbo is a well thought out / engineered Kit that is streetable, and generates a bunch of power at lower (8psi?) boost levels. Also it's exotic and BadAss, not something you will see at every bike night.:cool:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Exactly, anytime I see a nice modded bagger....I ASSUME it's got work done on the engine...Hell, if it's nice enough...I'll assume it's got cams and a big bore and more. But when that bagger pulls up with a turbo hanging off the side? Now I KNOW it's a badass motor. THAT'S the motor that's gonna have a crowd around it every time you park. You wanna really stand out? There's bad ass baggers running around everywhere....but for me a turbo or a blower takes it straight to that next level.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts