Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little confused on models, what's the difference between 2007 FLTR & FLTRI ? Obviously both are injected so why the difference in model call out ?

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Are you sure that both were official designations for that year? When carbs were still available, that's when the differential was made clear. But the last carbed Big Twin was a 2006 model year, I do believe ... if you are scouring privately advertised bikes, it would be easy for an advertiser to forget that fact

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you sure that both were official designations for that year? When carbs were still available, that's when the differential was made clear. But the last carbed Big Twin was a 2006 model year, I do believe ... if you are scouring privately advertised bikes, it would be easy for an advertiser to forget that fact
All I have to go by is what's on the title, that's why I'm a little confused. When shopping for parts there are many parts that are listed for a 2007 FLTR but not a 2007 FLTRI. Just trying to understand and use the proper model name when referencing any parts. It's a little confusing.............:wink:

Or is it the same bike but vendors are adding the "I" ????????

Thanks

·
Registered
559 Posts
All I have to go by is what's on the title, that's why I'm a little confused. When shopping for parts there are many parts that are listed for a 2007 FLTR but not a 2007 FLTRI. Just trying to understand and use the proper model name when referencing any parts. It's a little confusing.............:wink:

Or is it the same bike but vendors are adding the "I" ????????

Thanks
I think that's just someone adding the "I" where it's not needed. Even if there was a difference between an FLTR and an FLTRI, it wouldn't matter unless you were specifically looking for carb or throttlebody parts; everything else would be the same.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Concur with Mr. Crazy, I own my 04FLHTI for years, those early model twinkies may have carb or EFI from factory, buddy of mine special ordered a 2003 Annv.Fatboy and wanted carbs so it sounded true thump thump, potato sound....All parts the same other than specific Motor parts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, kinda what I was thinking but just needed some reassurance from the pro's...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Doesn't matter

Dual discs / calipers will heat up slower, because twice the metal and friction material absorb energy.
So they FADE less.

Regarding holy crap stopping power - BOTH single and dual front brake setups COULD LOCK A FRONT WHEEL BEFORE ABS.
Now, electronics and release hydraulics prevent that feat.

In Ye Olde Days, crusty bikers like myself used to practice Emergency Braking on country roads.
We wanted to be able to apply BOTH brakes and then LOCK THE REAR to spin the bike sideways preparing to GTFO of it.
Shedding mass (and velocity) is Newton's favorite ways of reducing Kinetic Energy in collisions.
Brakes do their part by reducing Velocity.
Biker does his part by departing from considerable Mass.
This reduces the severity of blows and the intensity of road rash while coming to an eventual stop.

ABS eliminates any possibility of locking the rear wheel above 3 mph.
My Grandma can exit a 3 mph bike and she's been dead 25 years.

So yes - great topic.
You ain't skidding - even with dual discs. Unless you go old school.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Dual discs / calipers will heat up slower, because twice the metal and friction material absorb energy.
So they FADE less.

Regarding holy crap stopping power - BOTH single and dual front brake setups COULD LOCK A FRONT WHEEL BEFORE ABS.
Now, electronics and release hydraulics prevent that feat.

In Ye Olde Days, crusty bikers like myself used to practice Emergency Braking on country roads.
We wanted to be able to apply BOTH brakes and then LOCK THE REAR to spin the bike sideways preparing to GTFO of it.
Shedding mass (and velocity) is Newton's favorite ways of reducing Kinetic Energy in collisions.
Brakes do their part by reducing Velocity.
Biker does his part by departing from considerable Mass.
This reduces the severity of blows and the intensity of road rash while coming to an eventual stop.

ABS eliminates any possibility of locking the rear wheel above 3 mph.
My Grandma can exit a 3 mph bike and she's been dead 25 years.

So yes - great topic.
You ain't skidding - even with dual discs. Unless you go old school.
Did you post this in the wrong thread?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The "I" is for "Injection" as in Fuel Injection. As others have said, it was used back when identical models still came with a choice of carb or EFI.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The "I" is for "Injection" as in Fuel Injection. As others have said, it was used back when identical models still came with a choice of carb or EFI.
What he said - all the 2007 models have the «Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection». And if I remmeber correctly all the 2007 touring-models have the closed loop ESPFI-system.
But here is a caveat, some aftermarket vendors use the FTLRI and FLTR to distinguish between fuel-injection and carb when shopping parts. A lot of peolpe who got the early MoCo EFIs (like the dreaded M&M EFI) switched to aftermarket Mikuni or S&S carb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts