Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those of you who do not know, I bought my 2010 FLTRX brand new in 2010, and had the dealer install the SE "super advanced, high tech, oh so awesome" race tuner.... Dummy me knows nothing about it other than I needed it to get more power. After some research I realize it is not the greatest tuner on the planet, but its paid for, and installed.

The power bug has bitten me, and I am planning a cam, and more open exhaust project later this year.

My question is, what can I do with this thing? Is this something I have to let the dealer mess with, or is there maps and stuff available? I am assuming that I will need a different map when I get the new cams in, and dump the exhaust cat conv?

Open discussion... just school me a little on this $500.00 piece of technology that I am clueless about!

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I run the same race tuner installed by HD and don't know the difference in TQ & HP using a different tuner unless someone has the same bike with the same hardware. IMHO. You should have pulled the Cat when you had the tuner done. Its restricting your air intake. Once the Cat is changed your going to see a boost. V&H Power Duals headers is just one of many to choose from. Find the DYNO postings here. It will give you an idea of the numbers some of us are getting.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
If you are confident in your dealer's ability to do dyno tunes, then I wouldnt spend any more money on another tuner.

Once you get your setup installed (cams, etc) they can dyno it using the race tuner you already own.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I agree with the others... the only "technology" drawback is you need to go to a good dyno shop. The box does an excellent job if the dyno tune is done right.

ETA: Forgot to mention, if you make a change later then another dyno tune is indeed the right thing to do.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of good info guys. Thanks a bunch. So how much is the stealer or an indy going to charge me for a dyno and tune session? Im sure this is going to double my projected cam project cost.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You did not need the tuner till now.The dealer could of done a simple download.What cams are you installing?If your putting a se cam 254 0r255 and Know what header and exhaust You might be able to get a already proven download from the dealer.My dyno mech said that they had some tunes set without dinos now. The se tuner resets your ecm the other tuners shows the ecm the settings it was looking while over riding the air,fuel.and timing advance.But your ecm has been changed by the tuner.So you may find a guy with the harley software to make changes or have it dyno or the you may get a already set tune.i have had Two se tuners and had two bikes dyno I have been happy with my setups.good luck let us know how it gos.Mine was included in my se 254 cam install I got the cam tuner spring exact fit rods clutch spring and tune for 1500.00

W

·
0 Posts
I have the SE Pro Race Tuner on my bike with cams, Ventilator AC, Headers and V & H exhaust. When I had it tuned it was done with the smart tune software and it works real well. This past week I was talking to a well know tuner in our area and he said that the smart tune does get the bike real close on the numbers. I wanted to know if the Dyno Tune would be worth the bucks and he said he would put my bike on the Dyno and do a diagnostic to see how it was and if the numbers were good enough (AFR) etc he wouldn't mess with it any further. That would cost me $42.50. One of the issues they have seen is that the AFR is running about 14.1 at higher speeds and it could be adjusted on the Dyno to 13.1

Also, for those that have the race tuner and have issues with throttle lag, doing the Dyno it's going to offer much help.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have the SE race tuner and the bike runs fantastic although a little rich at idle. The dyno tune was $250 bucks at the dealer. They told me if I had any trouble to bring it back and they would adjust it. With all the snow I haven't had much seat time, but the time I had was very good. btw, I paid $1,000 plus dyno for the SE stage II kit installed. If you already have the tuner, don't look back. Do the cams and pipe at once and then have dyno performed. You'll be very happy!

·
Registered
992 Posts
While I'm running the TTS on my 2005, I had the SE Race Tuner on my 2009, and had absolutely no issue what so ever.

The SERT works perfectly fine, what it comes down to time and time again, is what is YOUR SHOP / TUNER comfortable with??? It doesn't matter how capable or impressive the software is, if your Shop isn't comfortable with the program, they are NOT going to do a good job. If they don't know how to utilize the software, it doesn't matter how good it is.

I really like the Dyno Tuner at Pike's Peak Harley Davidson here in Colorado, I'm just fortunate he is very well versed in TTS & SERT, and comfortable with either one.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I used the SERT on bike since it was new in 08 and I had the 103 big bore put in with the 255 cams and I had the HD dealer dyno tune the bike (cost $500) and the bike performed real good so I was happy. I just had the 103 stage IV put in and the dyno tune (indy) couldn't get the tune right, the bike ran OK at higher rpm but when cruising I would get surging and there was a lot of popping on decel. I decided to buy a Thundermax Auto Tuner and all I can say is WOW, the T-Max tuned the bike smooth it out at cruising speeds and no more popping on decel. IMO the SERT is OK and if you do all your performance mods at 1 time then have a dyno done you should be happy with the performance of the bike that is if you find a good tuner. With the T-Max there is never a need for a $300 to $500 dyno tune again.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
The tuner is great with a good dyno guy. Many places don't want to tune those because they simply don't know how or don't have the right equipment. Just find someone knowledgeable and you'll be pleased. Many dyno's at rally's wont do them because of this and without the right equipment they take much longer. They will also try to get you to buy somethings else while you're there. PASS and find a good dyno guy.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I got the SERT installed when I did the stage I. Did a bunch of reading before hand and thought it was the best bang for my buck. For now it's just set with the basic tune for the parts I put on. When I'm ready to do cams and whatnot. Dyno guy charges $125 an hour here.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome guys, thanks for all the info. Very helpful. I will save up my change for the cams and exhaust and do the install at the same time. Then have the dealer do the tune.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FOr thise that asked: Still not 100% decided on cams but I am considering the SE204. I have done much research on aftermarket cams, which I need to do, but I hear good things about SE cams.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts