Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only one station in my area that sells ethanol free fuel. Bad things happen when ethanol fuel is stored for any length of time. Boat owners, classic car guys and motorcycle owners are having problems with the fuel ruining their engines. What are we to do when ethanol is in all fuel?

·
Registered
73 Posts
In FL, most stations now only sell 10% ethanol in the gas. So far, not an issue in my 09 RG, but I ride year round and usualy go through a 6 gal tank of gas in a week or 2. If it would sit for a month, then I'd be putting in a fuel stabilizer. Now in my lawn mower during the winter, I put in some Stabil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use the Lucas Fuel Additive in my boat, truck, cars and now Bike with great success.Another option for you to consider and much cheaper that other products on the market. You can pick it up at most Parts Stores.

D

·
0 Posts
I prefer change fuel station when I see Ethanol.
The explosion is stronger and in spite of harley says that injection accepts the ethanol

·
Registered
525 Posts
Here in southeastern Wisconsin, we can get both, premium with 10% ethanol, or premium without. The differences are very noticeable. Without ethanol, I get at least 8% better gas mileage, the bike runs cooler, and feels much stronger to my butt dyno.

I go out of my way to avoid ethanol fuel if at all possible, and NEVER store the bike with untreated ethanol in the tank.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here in southeastern Wisconsin, we can get both, premium with 10% ethanol, or premium without. The differences are very noticeable. Without ethanol, I get at least 8% better gas mileage, the bike runs cooler, and feels much stronger to my butt dyno.

I go out of my way to avoid ethanol fuel if at all possible, and NEVER store the bike with untreated ethanol in the tank.
I have to agree with dklanecky, I also try to avoid ethanol. Sometimes though that's all you can get and you can really feel the differance. For that reason, I try to carry a few packets of 'Rocket Fuel' when I going out of my normal riding area. Little packets of octane booster good for one tank. Helps with heat and pinging.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a gas station down the street that offers racing fuel. I think it is 104 octane. My buddy put a half of a tank in his Street Glide last summer and now swears by it. Increased out put and much cooler running.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The real danger to our bikes is if the Green crowd is able to convince the country to go to a 15% ethanol blend. Then we're all in trouble. My 2009 HD Touring owners manual actually states that up to 10% ethanol is OK, but no more than 10%. I haven't checked any of my car manuals yet but I bet they say similar things.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The real danger to our bikes is if the Green crowd is able to convince the country to go to a 15% ethanol blend. Then we're all in trouble. My 2009 HD Touring owners manual actually states that up to 10% ethanol is OK, but no more than 10%. I haven't checked any of my car manuals yet but I bet they say similar things.
I agree. Most newer vehicles/motors are fine w/ 10% ethanol. Now you go up over that, then an entirely new set of problems will arrise. I think FL politicians have talked about pushing the minimum up above 10%, but man, that would be crazy.

Ride safe and have fun.

·
Super Moderator
10,222 Posts
from personal experience , do yer best not to put ethanol in small motors such as mowers and the like .. We have a 20 hp garden tractor ( mower) and it has run like crap for a couple years , then I was reading somewhere about the subject , and got it off the ethanol gas , and a couple tanks later it is running much better ..

Also have heard that chebbies are worse than others when it comes to damage from etanol .. Couldnt tell ya , dont know .. I bleed blue ..

BP has been a problem for Harleys for as long as I can remember , something in their gas does not geehaw with a Harley ..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here in Northern VA (DC area) all we have is Ethanol blend. I have not had any problems.

Now during the Winter, we have a Winter blend of fuel and that does give me horrible gas mileage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have EGT ......

meters in the sleds and they consistantly show 100 to 115 degrees hotter temps on the ethenol fuel.......
Personally I try and avoid the stuff if at all possible, and I run a fuel additive for a little piece of mind........

Bag

1 - 16 of 16 Posts