Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While stationed in Italy and Germany in the early to late 80's I was pissed that I didn't take my bike with me. Now that I have the resources, My wife and I are planning a Germany, Italy, Austria, and Switzerland Alpine motorcycle tour with her brother who lives in Heidelberg. The purpose of this post is to find out if any of our brethren of the shark have attempted this and if so, did you rent or ship your bike? Which rental agency did you use, if rented? And, where did you go? Currently my plan is to fly into Frankfurt, spend the weekend with the brother-in-law, pick up a rented road Glide in Ludwigshafen, then ride to Munich. From there we will run down through Switzerland to the Garda See, then across the southern Dolomites to the Stelvio Pass, Up through Austria and back through Garmisch and back to Heidelberg where we'll drop off the bike and spend another 4-5 days with the family before flying back to the U.S.A. so, Questions:
1. Whose done this?
2. Did you use a tour operator?
3. If so, who?
4. If you live in Germany, Who do you recommend?
5. Who wants to go with us?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Wow. Awesome trip. When are you planning to take off ? I use eaglerider for my bike rentals in North America but I don’t know wether they have outlets in Europe. The Mrs and I are doing the Canadian war cemetery route next year in France before visiting Scotland and Ireland.

04 RG

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Awesome to be able to realize that dream.

My wife is in New Zealand right now visiting our son and she tells me there are no straight roads in New Zealand. When I am well enough to tolerate the trip to get there I will definitely be planning to rent a bike for a couple weeks or possibly purchase a used bike in my son's name and then put it up for sale after the two weeks of touring if I my research shows that option will cost me less.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
While stationed in Italy and Germany in the early to late 80's I was pissed that I didn't take my bike with me. Now that I have the resources, My wife and I are planning a Germany, Italy, Austria, and Switzerland Alpine motorcycle tour with her brother who lives in Heidelberg. The purpose of this post is to find out if any of our brethren of the shark have attempted this and if so, did you rent or ship your bike? Which rental agency did you use, if rented? And, where did you go? Currently my plan is to fly into Frankfurt, spend the weekend with the brother-in-law, pick up a rented road Glide in Ludwigshafen, then ride to Munich. From there we will run down through Switzerland to the Garda See, then across the southern Dolomites to the Stelvio Pass, Up through Austria and back through Garmisch and back to Heidelberg where we'll drop off the bike and spend another 4-5 days with the family before flying back to the U.S.A. so, Questions:
1. Whose done this?
2. Did you use a tour operator?
3. If so, who?
4. If you live in Germany, Who do you recommend?
5. Who wants to go with us?
Hi thats gonna be a awsome trip and if you in first week in sep you must go to Europeen bike week in Faaker see
and a tip here i haven´t use this tours but i have heard that they are good.
https://www.edelweissbike.com/en/

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Sounds incredible and best of luck. I'll be monitoring closely since my son and I have talked about touring Ireland at some point in the future.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My brother bought a new softail many years ago and shipped it to Spain with no miles on it. It was cheaper than shipping a used bike. At the end of the summer he sold it thinking he'd make a mint, but with all the taxes and fee's he didn't make any money. Based on this and other stories of shipping a bike, I'd rent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
My wife and I did a trip like that in 2015 and it was unbelievable. We took Ayres Adventures ,Bohemian Rhapsody tour that started in Munich and rode to the Czech Republic , Austria, Hungary, Slovenia , Italy , Switzerland , and Liechtenstein.We rode the Stelvio and a lot of the major passes. Ayres Adventures is out of Plano Texas and I can Highly Recommend them as they are a first rate Tour operator. We had such a good time that we used them for a trip to New Zealand in 2017 and my next trip is Iceland later this year. The good thing about using a tour operator is all your hotels and planing is taken care of by someone that knows all the best places to see and stay. The only bad thing is it does cost more than doing it yourself. I can tell you that after you go you will never feel you didn't get your money's worth. However you plan to go I know you will have a great time as the Alps offer some of the best riding in the world.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My wife and I did a trip like that in 2015 and it was unbelievable. We took Ayres Adventures ,Bohemian Rhapsody tour that started in Munich and rode to the Czech Republic , Austria, Hungary, Slovenia , Italy , Switzerland , and Liechtenstein.We rode the Stelvio and a lot of the major passes. Ayres Adventures is out of Plano Texas and I can Highly Recommend them as they are a first rate Tour operator. We had such a good time that we used them for a trip to New Zealand in 2017 and my next trip is Iceland later this year. The good thing about using a tour operator is all your hotels and planing is taken care of by someone that knows all the best places to see and stay. The only bad thing is it does cost more than doing it yourself. I can tell you that after you go you will never feel you didn't get your money's worth. However you plan to go I know you will have a great time as the Alps offer some of the best riding in the world.

Hi if you are going to Iceland maybe you will meet a lot of Harley riders,they will ride all over the Nordic countries this summer.
http://nordicrun.is/
And the Swedish Harley club
hdcs.se

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
That would be cool but looks like the Nordic group is going to Iceland in June and I will be going the end of August after Shark Week VIII.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ultra98 I see you are in Sweden. If everything works out I plan to be near you in 2019 or 2020 on a tour of Norway and The North Cape.

·
Registered
327 Posts
As part of your research, check out Gary France, a moto-blogger based outside of London. He has done extensive touring in Europe and the USA, and does a great job of documenting his journeys in both pics and words. He published a book about his 27-state, 21,000 mile USA tour, France in America, that makes a great gift for someone who enjoys long-distance motorcycle touring.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yes Oilcan i am ,that will be a ride i was in Norway 2years ago its incredeble my plan its also to ride to North Cape in near future so keep in touch maybe we can meet up some place

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
HD dealerships in Europe do rentals as in the USA.
Shipping your bike to Europe and back will be possibly expensive (consider 3k$ at least) and possible damages might occur during transportation.
The possibility that some minor failure or little damages might occur during the trip shoul be considered. Your actual insurance coverage abroad could be a factor as well.
Your US shark should load the gps European map, and that is an additional cost.
If you are an HOG member a discounted rental is possible, surely with more peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
HD dealerships in Europe do rentals as in the USA.
Shipping your bike to Europe and back will be possibly expensive (consider 3k$ at least) and possible damages might occur during transportation.
The possibility that some minor failure or little damages might occur during the trip shoul be considered. Your actual insurance coverage abroad could be a factor as well.
Your US shark should load the gps European map, and that is an additional cost.
If you are an HOG member a discounted rental is possible, surely with more peace of mind.
Agree - there are some indie-shops that have H-D rentals in Germany but I prefer the MoCo-brand stores (newer bikes in mint condition). In Germany it's called «Vermietung» and the nearest one to Heidelberg would be the Harely Davidson Rhein-Neckar. I also like the fact that this is a US-MAS (Military Auto Source) store as well, that means this MoCo-shop has offered special service and prices for US Service members! Check out their web-site: Home - Harley Davidson Rhein Neckar

Let me know when you cross the border from Ultra98! :D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi thats gonna be a awsome trip and if you in first week in sep you must go to Europeen bike week in Faaker see
and a tip here i haven´t use this tours but i have heard that they are good.
https://www.edelweissbike.com/en/
Thanks Ultra, I've been looking between them and Reuthers. Edelweiss is in Tirol, which is a little far south for me to start from. Reuthers has a pick up and drop off location in Ludwigshafen, which is only 25 km from Heidelberg, where we are stgarting our adventure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts