Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed excessive heat coming from the exhaust when riding. Mostly noticed under the passenger boards on the right side. My guesstimation is it's the Cats. I removed the baffles for mope sound and hoping it would help with the heat a little. But it has not. Any suggestions on my options to remedy this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Yes heat comes from the CAT that is how a Cat works it generates heat. Cutting your baffles out without adding fuel the exhaust is running even hotter that leaned it out even more.. Year Model and what else has been done to it would help narrow it down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes heat comes from the CAT that is how a Cat works it generates heat. Cutting your baffles out without adding fuel the exhaust is running even hotter that leaned it out even more.. Year Model and what else has been done to it would help narrow it down.
2018 RGS. No other mechanical Mods.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
This gets a lot of people going but here it is.
A CAT works by generating heat it get hotter than hell. Fact no changing that. Bikes run lean but not as lean as some try to tell you. In most cases you can put a reasonable set of pipes on and it will not change how lean the bike runs. But cut the baffles out make it full flow and yes it will run lean. to lean and a bike runs hotter. So called true dual will do almost the same thing and Not make anymore power. In fact they will make less .
If you are going to go to fare with exhaust mods then you will need to tune. Fuel will need to be added to correct the lean running. Lose the CAT if it bothers you. You don't have to spend a lot to do it. The M8 getting rid of the CAT in a Stock pipe is easy. get some reasonable pipes on it .

·
Registered
10 Posts
2018 RGS, Bonneville Salt Pearl, de-catted stock pipes, H-D Ventilator, CFR slip-ons, with Cobra Power Pro Black auto tuner. It made a world of difference for me. Heat? It has all made a difference but I'm in Phx, AZ so during the summer it's hard to tell but Fall and Spring I can tell. I have monkeyed with the Cobra a bit and if I lean it out , yeah it's hot. I've been looking for a way to add temp gauge but not really wanting to go the Dakota Digital route hehehe. May be adding an Ultra Cool for summer riding but August is coming and I'm waiting for H-D updates. Momma puts awful thoughts in my head even after buying the 18' this past October.

·
Registered
56 Posts
rogers9671

I also have the 18 RGS I just switched out my stock head pipes to a set of American custom exhaust headers that are decatted. Noticed significant drop in heat around the header pipe. It's a great price for $299 and when you return your original headers you get $75 back. Since the headers are a stock Harley pipes fit and install were super easy. Also the workmanship on the headers are top notch. I also have MK45 slip on's and FP3 tuner. Now the bike sounds great, runs strong and most importantly not burning my leg off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts