Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a buddy with a 2015 Road Glide CVO with a Vance and Hines exhaust system. He has a crack at the weld on the header. System is 3 years old and he is wondering is there anything he can do. Warranty of course was for a year but it looks like the weld was bad. Is it worth pursuing or should he just purchase another header? Right now he is so upset he is thinking about removing the whole system and going with another exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Take it off the bike and a decent exhaust shop should be able to weld it back up, as long as it is not broken to the point you lose the relationship between the two pieces.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
First I would have Your Buddy contact V&H and see what they tell Him.
If it's not to His liking, then I would do what WA Bull stated.
Any decent welder can fix that broken weld no problem.
Best of Luck to Your Buddy.
Keep Us posted on what he does.
It's good to know what companies stand behind their products and which ones don't.
Mike U.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah that sucks. Like Mike U said, see what VH does. Maybe they'll replace it. If not, pull it off and bring it to a local muffler shop and have a new weld bead put on. It's pretty simple fix.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I would call V&H and see what they say. in my experience with them, they have been great to deal with. they do have great customer service

·
Registered
15 Posts
The dealership where I purchased the bike and I called V&H, they said the warranty period is one year. I've taken the bike to three different shops, one HD and two independent MC repair facilities. All have said this is a result of a poor weld. V&H takes no responsibility for their poor workmanship nor substandard quality control. In the meantime my ride is down until it can be repaired or replaced. If the exhaust has to be replaced V&H will never be my exhaust choice nor will I recommend their products. Currently looking for a DandD replacement.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am willing to bet V&H will make good on it. I had the same thing happen to me well after the warranty and I had a new header on my porch about 7 days later after contacting them with pictures.

·
Registered
357 Posts
From you picture it looks like a stress fracture. Get it welded and on reinstall make sure everything is lined up properly before tightening. Do not pull into place with the bolts.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,062 Posts
I'm sympathetic that you had a part break on a bike that's new to you, but the exhaust IS 3 years old. Welds break. Take it to a competent welding or exhaust shop and have them lay a new bead around it and it'll probably last as long as you have the bike. Unrealistic to think that V&H needs to replace it. As Norm says, it looks like a stress fracture which very likely was due to an improper installation. Weld it and move on. Spending much more money on a whole new system doesn't make a lot of sense IMO.

Reactions: Mike U
1 - 12 of 12 Posts