Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new road glide special yesterday. Pumped, but the damn thing sounds like a lawn mower. I have a mental picture of myself on the bike looking like the police from Futurama.

So being slightly obsessive, I'd done research on exhaust before I even bought the bike. I'm 99% set on Dragos (not sure on Dragula or Dragula 2 or black or chrome...decisions decisions). My question is, if I upgrade just the pipes now, do I also need to get a tuner or can that wait until I get a new air cleaner? I'd originally planned to do it all at once, but $3k down took away my extra cash and this lack of sound and power has me wanting to pull the trigger.

Also, if you have a preference to the Dragula or Dragula 2, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just pipes, you should be okay with no tuner. Some may disagree, but let's face it. These things have computers and the ability to adjust from below sea level to 10,000' elevation. Exhaust only should be fine.

Once you add the air intake it is in your best interest to get it tuned properly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mechanic says no tuner is necessary, but spoke to Frank at Dragos today and he said it needs one. Since I am going with his pipes, gonna go on his advise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As much as I research shit, I haven't even looked into those yet. I had pretty good results from the screamin eagle race tuner previously, so might just pick up one of those. i know for sure it will not be the fuel pak. that thing is a piece of shit.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
1,070 Posts
I have the SERT on my 2012 with Intake and Exhaust mods. It runs great. I have not had it dyno'd yet, just the initial tune when the work was done.

After 42K miles, I'm still pulling strong from 3k - Rev limiter! (just over 6K rpm)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
As much as I research shit, I haven't even looked into those yet. I had pretty good results from the screamin eagle race tuner previously, so might just pick up one of those. i know for sure it will not be the fuel pak. that thing is a piece of shit.
Since your buying exhaust from Frank I would bend his ear to see what he recommends for a tuner.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Just for everyone's info: No air cleaner is needed on the new Rushmore bikes. It flows good enough for a cam and pipes and mild headwork. It's also cleanable. Now if you just want a different look, have at it. Dyno proved it on mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.