Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not want to hijack the SWII damage report, but I have noticed several reports of failed clutch cables.

Anybody have an idea what the average usable life of the cable is? I know every situation is different, but surely they don't last forever. I am wondering if I should replace the cable while the bike is in my garage before the next long trip. It does not appear to be something I want to do in a parking lot in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I traded my '01 Ultra last summer with just short of 40,000 miles, still had the original cable. Keep it lubed and properly routed and you it should last a LONG time.
You'll notice that HG WLD said that his cable may have been getting pinched by the fork triple tree because of the way it was routed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I ran a 1999 EG 133,000+ miles with the same clutch cable. Not a problem at all. Keep it lubed and, as mentioned, make sure it's not binding anywhere. I've got a buddy in Miami with over 200,000 miles on a 1996 EG with the same clutch cable on it. Any bike I look at, I always check to make sure the cable isn't also rubbing on anything down by the lower right side frame rail. Looks for wiring rubs, brake line rubs, etc.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
As long as the clutch cable doesn't have a sharp bend in it everything should be good. The new clutch cables have a plastic coating on the cable itself and this aids in the smooth function of the cable. I have a different point of view on lubricating the clutch cable the way I see it the lubricant becomes a dirt trap and the dirt will build up and eventully cause cable failure. I have over 50,000 miles on my bike and I never used any kind of lubricant on the clutch cable and the clutch cable functions just like it did when I rolled the bike off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
60k on my 2000 RK
50k on my 2008 RG
40k on my 2011 RG

No clutch cable failure. I did have the one replaced on the 08 because it was started leaking oil from the tranny.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
60k on my 2000 RK
50k on my 2008 RG
40k on my 2011 RG

No clutch cable failure. I did have the one replaced on the 08 because it was started leaking oil from the tranny.
Was it the cable itself that caused the leak or did the o-ring on the cable where the cable enters the trans go bad? The o-ring is repairable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts