Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have a delimma. I recently installed a new amp and speakers in my glide and tuned them properly using a DMM and i am not as impressed as i thought i would be. here is my equipment:

Stock HK head unit
PAC SNI-35 low level line converter
SounStream Pn4.1000d amp (250w x 4 at 2ohm, 140w x 4 at 4 ohm)
Biketronics 7.1 titan II in fairing (factory location)
Biketronics 6.5 Titan II in lower fairing speaker pods
Speakers are wired in parallel to achieve a 2ohm load per front channel

Formula used to determine proper voltage - V = √PxR
V = Voltage at amp output
√ = Square root
P = RMS output of amp at required ohms
R = ohms the amplifier will see from speaker(s) on that specific channel

I got the formula information from this thread over at HDForums.com. It was later determined in that thread to use the RMS watt rating of a single channel instead of both front channels combined.

Setting Amp Gains by Ear and/or with DMM - Harley Davidson Forums

So based upon my setup i used the following numbers in the formula.......
V =√(250 x 2)
V =√500
V = 22.36

So based upon this info i proceeded to adjust my gains using the method described in the above linked thread. I turned all my settings on the HU to flat and turned off the AVC. Then i inserted my 1000HZ 0db test tone cd that i created. Once that was playing and on repeat i checked the voltage coming out of my low level lin converter and noticed that it is only 3.3 volts with the adjuster turned all the way clockwise and not a true 4 volts. Could this be the reason? Next i connected my amp inputs and adjusted my gains to the proper Voltage. the closes i could get it to 22.36 was 22.2. This left my gains at just shy of the 10:00 position. Trying to adjust it with the bike running made for very unsteady hands....lol

After i made the adjustments i proceeded to play a cd of mp3 that i had and noticed that certain songs were clipping. i did some research and saw some threads on here that recommended i use mp3gain to level out the volume across my songs. So i did that. at first it showed that all of my songs were clipping and set at well over the recommended 89 dbs. I adjusted them to 91db which was the sweet spot where i only had 3 out of 121 songs that were clipping. I burned them to a new cd and proceeded to test out the new adjustments and that is why I am here. They are clear with none to minimal distortion but i feel that the are not much louder then if i had the stock speaker turned all the way up.

I am in need of you guy's expertise!! Please help point me in the right direction. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Turn the avc back on and adjust the bass & treble to what your ears like.
I never understood that setting it up Flat, Who the hell listens to music flat?

·
Registered
590 Posts
You did somthing wrong.because I have half of what you got and I can't think if the volume is 1/2 way up.when I was tuning I used tech support provided by the manufacturers of my equipment. They were all willing to help live wile tuning at one point I had JL Audio and hybrid audio on a conference call.good luck

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Dozer, Are you saying i should use the high line outs from the stock HU instead of converting it with the low level converter?

Yes, that's what he's saying.

Lose the line converter. At least to see if that's where your problem lies. You will lose just a bit of clarity.

Here's a less technical but tried and true way of setting your gains:

1-Hook everything up correctly with Eq set to your taste
2- turn your gains all the way down
3-turn your volume up to 75% of max
4-turn up gains until you hear distortion or clipping
5-turn your gain down a smidge

Put your fairing back on and ride your bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's what he's saying.

Lose the line converter. At least to see if that's where your problem lies. You will lose just a bit of clarity.

Here's a less technical but tried and true way of setting your gains:

1-Hook everything up correctly with Eq set to your taste
2- turn your gains all the way down
3-turn your volume up to 75% of max
4-turn up gains until you hear distortion or clipping
5-turn your gain down a smidge

Put your fairing back on and ride your bike.

So i followed your method and i am stoked on how well it sounds. I removed the low level converter and used the high outputs and adjusted my gains by hear and it is much louder. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So i followed your method and i am stoked on how well it sounds. I removed the low level converter and used the high outputs and adjusted my gains by hear and it is much louder. Thanks for all the advice.

Just for the record

The instructions over "there" were put up at several recommendations and are in fact the way it's been done since dirt. Some agree, some don't but nonetheless that's the way to do it. 99% of the time I don't use the DMM method. I do it by ear and rarely am I far off at all. For those that come over and absolutely must see where their amps are clipping, the scope comes out and I show them.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

Just for the record

The instructions over "there" were put up at several recommendations and are in fact the way it's been done since dirt. Some agree, some don't but nonetheless that's the way to do it. 99% of the time I don't use the DMM method. I do it by ear and rarely am I far off at all. For those that come over and absolutely must see where their amps are clipping, the scope comes out and I show them.

I do mine the way I suggested whether I'm using lo or hi inputs. The only advantage I've seen doing it the multi meter way is that it lets you know exactly where your amp will clip at a certain freq. that's VERY useful on a test bench, but not nearly as much on the road, listening to different tunes, different inputs, different volume levels. Old faithful hasn't let me down yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Just for the record

UltraNutz...... your wisdom is much appreciated! I do have a question about the HU. If i replace the stock with an aftermarket will it improve my sound even more?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
UltraNutz...... your wisdom is much appreciated! I do have a question about the HU. If i replace the stock with an aftermarket will it improve my sound even more?

The primary advantages of aftermarket over stock HU is that the aftermarket has preouts. They will improve your sound clarity if tuned properly. Also depending on the year of your bike, there are more functions on am aftermarket HU. I have an Alpine 149bt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The primary advantages of aftermarket over stock HU is that the aftermarket has preouts. They will improve your sound clarity if tuned properly. Also depending on the year of your bike, there are more functions on am aftermarket HU. I have an Alpine 149bt.

That is the same HU that i am on the verge of purchasing. I see that it comes highly recommended on this forum.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
That is the same HU that i am on the verge of purchasing. I see that it comes highly recommended on this forum.
There is someone selling a nice install kit/rain guard (Vtwin) in the classifieds now also if your serious about changing out the HU.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Changing the head unit makes a drastic difference in sound quality. Last year I spent big bucks on the HD head unit getting the per outs installed and some other work done. I replaced that head unit this week with a Sony marine unit (Bluetooth, iPod, SiriusXM) using a Biketronics retro kit. All I can say is wow, what an improvement. I'm using all Biketronics stuff (7.1 Pros in the fairing, BT speaker lids with Titan II 6X9, 6.5" Titan II in lowers powered by a BT4180 amp).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice. Hard to beat when you factor in the lifetime warranty and customer service. I have the Pro's and the 7.1 rear pods pushed by the 4180 and I can't imagine needing more going down the highway, not saying I wouldn't want more, but I can focus on other upgrades now.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hey Gix, I'm just wondering if you went back and checked the VAC after adjusting the gains by ear. And if so, what was your actual VAC to the speakers?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts