Road Glide banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking into the technology, and breaking the HK head unit (at least the aux port) for the second time, I thought I would make the jump and bring the radios in my '13 RGU into the 21st century. Went with Bluetooth commas and a BT capable marine grade head unit, and now think I regret that decision. The best part was getting a USB power port installed in my right glovebox. The worst part is that though I can stream from my iPhone, I have to control that with the helmet comes (still pretty neat technology).

Now I am thinking of sending my HK head unit off to be repaired, and to have a USB port installed so that I can just link it to the phone and get power. I had the Scosche Handlebar control interface installed, so may be able to interface with whatever build-up I do, as well as having an iPhone interface unit added.

As I ride with a helmet all the time, the sound system is there to provide some entertainment and weather data, as well as comma to other riders. I appreciate what a lot of Glidrers do to build up their audio, but at 60+mph, even the best sound system gets washed out.

I am going to talk to the guys who installed my new unit, and with Iron Cross, to see how much more I get to bleed. Any advice you all can give is appreciated, and maybe this will help someone else out before they leap.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Why are you regretting the decision?

My sound system doesn't get washed out at any speed you can sustain on the highway for extended periods of time.

I've never taken it up past 110, but i can hear it cruising at 90. I have a 13 Rgu as well. Oftentimes the difference between good audio and great audio is a windshield.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
my streo got a huge upgrade when I put on my madstad...You're probably tired of people saying good things about em,but there's a reason.I'm thinking of adding a usb port to my glove box for power and just run it off the wires to the light,you only use 2.I have a little bluetooth that plugs in tot he aux port.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not so concerned with the stereo sound at speed as I wear a full face/modular helmet all the time. What I am disappointed at is that I didn't think the whole Bluetooth thing through where I should have known the head unit is just a receiver. I switched my stock windshield out for a Clearview and am happy with that, though may make the switch to Madstad in the future. I just wanted something to do all the stereo and comm stuff without the wires. Need to realize the cb and weather radios have a real purpose on long range rides. Live and learn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.