Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran Royal Purple in my 2001 sportster for years and years without issue.

When I first switched over, I switched from Amsoil. The Amsoil ran great but I was still not to happy. The temperature drop from Harley dinosaur oil to Amsoil was about 15 C, The drop from Harley to Royal purple was 20+ C on a hot day.

I'm looking to swap my 2011 glide over from Dino juice to Royal Purple on my next change. Whats everyone elses experience on a big twin with RP?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
RP is a high quality. product US owned company and US made product.
It is every bit as good as any other high end SYN oil and lube

·
Registered
334 Posts
Royal Purple is a good high end synthetic oil and will work great. Oil choice is very subjective and you will get a ton of different suggestions:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
I've used RP with good results, it's just getting more expensive and harder to find. :eek:

·
Registered
753 Posts
And I've always put Harley oil in my bikes without issue.:p
lol... I did too until getting back over here... the temps in Europe didn't need any other oil. But when your day starts every day anywhere above 26·C you do look at other options.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I ran RP in my 01 RG for more than 60,000 with a 95 inch motor with out an issue it just got too pricey,so now using Lucas so far so good

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I ran royal purple in my 10 (73k when sold) and my 06 (93 k when traded), no issues ~ on the 12 the motor builder highly recommended I use a blend or Dino ~ I am ordering Brad Penn 20/50 motorcycle by the case on Amazon. Cheaper than RP ~ but time will tell on the motor. ~ 17k since my build figure I'll be a a hundred k on the build in two years.

I am a RP fan but will use what the builder recommended for now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've used RP with good results, it's just getting more expensive and harder to find. :eek:
I use Royal Purple in all my vehicles. Been using it in my 2005 Sporty since new and my 2012 FLTRU since new. On the Ultra use it in all the cases. My truck and Roush Mustang are also on RP.

You can find RP online at Amazon with free shipping. No problem finding it here in Houston as it's home base for RP.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I put in a qt. of RP the day before yesterday while in Hollister, CA (that was the only 20-50 synthetic that NAPA had).

Does that count ???

·
Registered
564 Posts
I use Redline 20-50 not the V-Twin for about 11.50 a quart from racerpartswholesale.com by the case. They have RP too maybe check out their pricing on it if you're having a hard time finding it.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
interesting reading of a comparison between RP and Amsoil here:

http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/royalpurple-vs-amsoil.php

although it is from an Amsoil perspective,they raise some good points concerning the use of some additives.
2 things came to my mind when reading that. first, amsoil is the only company that uses the 4 ball wear test (wonder why that is?), and second, they made mention concerning extended drain intervals with rp. is extended drain intervals something they also tout? regardless, hd does not recommend extended drain intervals with synthetic oil, so that should not be an issue anyway.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I use Royal Purple in all my vehicles. Been using it in my 2005 Sporty since new and my 2012 FLTRU since new. On the Ultra use it in all the cases. My truck and Roush Mustang are also on RP.

You can find RP online at Amazon with free shipping. No problem finding it here in Houston as it's home base for RP.
I get mine at ORiley for $8.99 qt. for the last 3 oil changes. Run it in all 3 holes and like it better than SE that HD put in it. No need to try another.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts

Thanks for the information. .... I didn't even think about Amazon. ... Duh... :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L710

1 - 17 of 17 Posts