Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 Road Glide, I recently layed her down and the fairing will be removed and repaired. I am seriously considering upgradeing the stereo system but with limited funds (I have to pay the deductible first) I won't be able to do much. The bike is at the local HD Dealership and they are doing the work, so any work will be at a premium.

I'm ignorant on what, how and why you need certain watts, amperage and all the stuff I'm supposed to know as a Free, Tax Paying 50 year old man.

Here are the levels (price points) I'm interested in hearing from you about:

1). Upgrading the speakers only.

2). Upgrading the speakers and adding an amp.

3). New head unit, amp and speakers (probably to cost prohibitive).

I have a conection to a local Jensen Audio distributor here in my town so that could be helpful in saving some cabbage.

I'm not interested in adding speakers in the saddlebags, just something louder to get me down the highway. Thanks!

· Registered
10,571 Posts
I have a 04 Road Glide, I recently layed her down and the fairing will be removed and repaired. I am seriously considering upgradeing the stereo system but with limited funds (I have to pay the deductible first) I won't be able to do much. The bike is at the local HD Dealership and they are doing the work, so any work will be at a premium.

I'm ignorant on what, how and why you need certain watts, amperage and all the stuff I'm supposed to know as a Free, Tax Paying 50 year old man.

I have a conection to a local Jensen Audio distributor here in my town so that could be helpful in saving some cabbage.

I'm not interested in adding speakers in the saddlebags, just something louder to get me down the highway. Thanks!
Just add amp & speakers. You'll pay about $500-$700for the stage one upgrade Hog Tunes installed at the dealer.
If you knew how to install stuff your self, It would be another story.

Reactions: RRHartzler

· Registered
336 Posts

RR, if price point is your most heavily weighted evaluation criteria (like mine was) here's some options

1) *Upgrading speakers only*-Pretty much anything is better than stock. A bunch of guys on this forum are going with the JBL GTO638. It's a 3-way, 2-ohm speaker and costs less than 100 bucks for a pair.. There's a thread dedicated to this topic and the guys have nothing but rave reviews, even without running an amp. @Swomack is a good member to talk to about them.

2) *Upgrading the speakers and adding an amp*-This will be your bang for the buck upgrade. Sky and price-point is the limit here. Everyone will give you their .02 on this one, and for good reason. Seeing as how price point is big for you, check out SoundStream amplifiers. You can get a 2 channel amp (or even a 4 channel amp) for ~100 bucks on ebay all day. If you're only doing two speakers, check out the PN2.350D or ST4.1000D. They will push plenty of power. More power will require better speakers capable of handling that power. I have the ST4.1000D running 4 Digital Design 6.5 CXS speakers. Crystal Clear audio at 60+ mph. The DD speakers are fantastic and can be bought for 100 bucks a pair from Syracuse Customs in NY (I'm sure he will be more than happy to ship to you). All in all, you can get by with spending ~200 bucks (you'll need the PAC line out converter to hook the amp to the stock head unit, and costs 10 bucks on amazon) and will be playing tunes much louder and clearer than stock.

3) *New head unit, amp and speakers*-You're right, this will get pricey but will complete the system and will help push it to the next level. Not only will you need to buy a new head unit, but depending on what head unit you buy, you'll need an install kit and handlebar control adapter. Once again, it's all about .02. Some guys are running HUs that cost less than 100 bucks, others are running some that cost well over 200. It just depends on what you want the head unit to do and how much you want to put into your system.

All in all, pick the minds of people on this forum. I had one member, Jpeesy, who kept in constant contact with me, answering probably close to 50 emails with loads of questions. People here won't lead you astray! Just be sure to do your research, and if at all possible, listen in person to different set ups!

· Registered
5,170 Posts
People here won't lead you astray! Just be sure to do your research, and if at all possible, listen in person to different set ups![/QUOTE]

Yeap com on o'ver give her a listen, bring plenty beer and
a hard hat, I'll put some godsmack on and we can stomp
around the garage

· Premium Member
6,810 Posts
I installed a set of JBL 3-Way Loudspeakers on my 2015 RGS.
I haven't installed an amp yet but the speakers sound amazing just with the head unit so when you do add an amp it's going to sound just that much better. I also have a Klock Werks 14" Sport Flair windshield and with having this shield I am able to hear my tunes way better then the stock shield. I can hear my tunes going 70 mph all day long. I will eventually will add an amp to really makes these speakers punch like I know they will once power is added, but I would put these speakers up against any other brand. You don't have to do any modifications to add these new JBL speakers, simply take out the old and put in the new. Very easy install and the results are amazing. The JBL speakers are 6.5" verse the stock HD 5.25". Maybe I should do a YouTube video so everyone can hear them for themselves.
Swomack

· Registered
230 Posts
Go 6.5 in fairing
Cheap is infinity KAPPA or polk ($150-200) need 6.5 adapters
Better is hertz or biketronics 7.1 ($250-300)
Get an aftermarket headunit (sony, kenwood ($200) + mount kit
Get a rockford fosgate amp (PBR300) ($175-200) - buy mount plate from HDonut ($50)
Cables ($50) - amp power & ground, speaker wire, zip ties, RCA

Install will be ??? ($150-$200)

So 150 + 200 + 300 + ??? = $750-$850 maybe

Can always upgrade later but this is a decent setup

resell stock head unit for $100-$200

Final tally under $750 and will jam

Biggest upgrade is head unit - get clear signal from the start
Then amp - amplify clear signal - soundstream or RF
Speakers are pretty cheap and decent like infinity Kappa

You will lose handlebar controls unless you spend another $100 or so

Aftermarket head unit is night and day

· Registered
321 Posts
Swomack, I assume your have the 6.5 stereo on your RGS. The Jbl's you are referring too are the GTO638 correct? I have only 2k miles on my RGS and can't take it anymore. Need to try something.

· Premium Member
6,810 Posts
Swomack, I assume your have the 6.5 stereo on your RGS. The Jbl's you are referring too are the GTO638 correct? I have only 2k miles on my RGS and can't take it anymore. Need to try something.
I have almost 18,000 miles on my 2015 RGS and these speakers made my riding just that much better. Once again these speakers pop right in place. When I get home from work today I will throw a YouTube video together so everyone can hear these JBL's. When my HD dealer hear these speakers they asked me what amp I installed. I told them that I hadn't installed an amp yet and they were blown away. Once again I will end up installing an amp but for only using the head unit, these speakers are fantastic. Check back on this thread and I will copy the YouTube link.
Good Luck
Here is what I have installed.
Swomack

· Registered
81 Posts
I too bought the JBL speakers, much clearer sound and a little louder, I will probably add an amp sooner than later and call it a day, good little speakers for the money.

· Registered
336 Posts
@Swomack, you are a shining example of why this forum is so great. I'll be sure to point anyone looking for a low cost audio upgrade to this thread, and your youtube video. I needed you two months ago before I dropped more than I should have on my audio set up!

· Premium Member
6,810 Posts
@Swomack, you are a shining example of why this forum is so great. I'll be sure to point anyone looking for a low cost audio upgrade to this thread, and your youtube video. I needed you two months ago before I dropped more than I should have on my audio set up!
Thanks for the remark brother.
Glad I was able to help out.
That is what these forums are all about.
Passing and sharing good information to others with the same passion for riding and brotherhood. It's funny how some guys think the more you spend the better the equipment must be. Well guess again because that is not always the case. Once again thanks for your remark.
Swomack

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Those JBL's sound interesting. I'd like to upgrade my 15 without going overboard. I'm staying with 2 speakers and possibly adding an amp. How do the JBL's hold up in the rain?

· Premium Member
6,810 Posts
Those JBL's sound interesting. I'd like to upgrade my 15 without going overboard. I'm staying with 2 speakers and possibly adding an amp. How do the JBL's hold up in the rain?
I wash my bike once a week and my bike has been in the rain without any issues. No paper on these speakers and the are very well made.
I think you would be impressed for sure. Once again I am currently only pushing these speakers with the head unit and I think they're very impressive. Can't wait to add an amp to really push them to see what their full potential really is. For the price which I still can't Believe, you just can't go wrong. i've heard bikes with the hog tune upgrade and just my opinion they sounded OK but I wasn't terribly impressed for the amount of money that you spend on their equipment.
i'm not particularly a cheap guy but at the same time I always look for good quality at a fair price and the speakers are just that. if anybody else has any questions just posted up or p.m. me and I'll do the best I can answer any questions you might have.
Swomack

· Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,636 Posts
People here won't lead you astray! Just be sure to do your research, and if at all possible, listen in person to different set ups!
Yeap com on o'ver give her a listen, bring plenty beer and
a hard hat, I'll put some godsmack on and we can stomp
around the garage[/QUOTE]
That would be advice I would ignore.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Well Swomack, I took your advice, and the JBL's are on the way. I don't see how I can go wrong for $59.00 to my door. Thanks for the review. I'll be interested in your choice of amp.:grin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.