Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the 10" monkey bars on and I don't like the way the stock brake line looks. Has anyone else changed their brake lines with the monkey bars? I'm not sure if I should go with +2 or +4".

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
how much more do you think you need? Is it routed in the same location as stock?
according to Magnum Shielding's website, for a 2004 FLTR, the stock upper cable length is 23". I think plus 2" is usually reccomended for 10" apes.
Check out their website for tips on how to measure.
http://www.magnumshielding.com/store/tips.php

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ded! You saved me again. I should just start PMing you my questions :)
I left it in the stock location and straightened out the bends. It really looks like hell. I'm suprised anyone would leave it like that after all that time and money to install monkey bars. I was worried that +2 wouldn't be long enough but I also don't want too much slack.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I left it in the stock location and straightened out the bends. It really looks like hell. I'm suprised anyone would leave it like that after all that time and money to install monkey bars. I was worried that +2 wouldn't be long enough but I also don't want too much slack.
You don't need extensions until you go over 12". My cables look perfectly fine, nothing strange about them whatsoever on my 10" bars.
i think the newer models have longer lines than the older models. matty3000 has a 2004. i have 14" bars, on my 2010 FLTRX, and never switched brake lines, so thats the difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So if I'm reading this right on my 2012 road glide custom i can go up to a 12" monkey bar with out changing my cables? Or is that just the brake line?

·
Registered
471 Posts
So if I'm reading this right on my 2012 road glide custom i can go up to a 12" monkey bar with out changing my cables? Or is that just the brake line?
On a 2012, you don't need to extend anything. If you go 12" you will only have to reroute your clutch cable, it won't sit in that clip on the left of the nacelle, that's all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Bro, just picked up the glide 4 months ago so slowly getting the things changed i want. Any suggestions for good pricing for blue pearl lower fairings?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks Bro, just picked up the glide 4 months ago so slowly getting the things changed i want. Any suggestions for good pricing for blue pearl lower fairings?
Get a quote from forum member pcpain. He is parts mgr. at Horny Toad HD and gives us great prices everyday.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was in the same boat, winter around the corner figured it was time for some mods, looking at 12" outlaws, started reading all the posts about no need to change anything and then realized my 05 has the brake "tubing" running down the right bar to the junction under the triple the trees and also realized there was no give or play in that tubing so I went with the drag specialties 4" over modular brake kit 1742-2635(2" kit is 1741-2630) giving me the braded lines as well, not installed as yet, don't have all the parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts