Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help, my '03 is having issues. What I first noticed was driving down the road I'd downshift to pass and my check engine light would come on and go off about a mile or so later. Brought it home and noticed the presure was really low. Pulled out the sending unit and attached my oil pressure gauge. At 2k rpm oil pressure was about 10psi. I need some ideas on what to do...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm not trying to be condescending but did you check your oil level? If you're too low on oil it will cause your pressure to drop.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Open up the cam chest, almost guaranteed you'll find your problems in there.
If I had to guess you'll find toasted chain tensioners, and probably pieces of them got run through the oil pump, at which point things get really messy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check oil pressure sensor before you open up cam chest. Might be something that simple....
I already took out the sensor and put in a oil pressure test gauge. I thought that might be the issue also, bought a new sensor but thought I might as well test the pressure prior to replacing the sensor.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Ouch, might want to open up your cam chest as suggested and take a look see. Its easy to if you have not done it. Remove exhaust, and foot board...put a oil pan under too, you will loose a little oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
**UPDATE** Well, she's back on the road but not before spending about $2000.00. Both cam chain tensioners broke taking out almost everything in the cam chest. The only thing salvagable was the cams themselves. Also upon inspecting the rocker arms they were 35 thousands outside of tolerance so I had to replace the rockers, rocker shafts and rocker plates.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Way to stay on top the bike n fix it, surprized ya didn't hear gravel in there? What's the milage? always fun to ask, throwing dice

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Way to stay on top the bike n fix it, surprized ya didn't hear gravel in there? What's the milage? always fun to ask, throwing dice
See that's the thing, before I tested the oil pressure it wasn't making any noise out of the norm. But when we pulled it apart pieces just fell out. Another interesting thing is, everything that I just replaced has happened before. About a year after I had it the same thing happened and it was replaced under warranty. I have only put about 12k on it sense then. What I believe happened was when the dealership did the work instead of taking the tension off the tensioners prior to pulling the pin out they just pulled out the pins and let the tensioners slam into the chains. It's either that or I got some faulty pads. But I can't see both of them being faulty at the same time. I've got a little over 44k on it now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hannibal,
Did they give you any insight on how to avoid this in the future? I have an 06 with 20k and would like to learn from this. Glad to hear you're back on the road.
Thanks
McLuvin

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I suspect for the $2k you got the complete SE upgrade for stock shit but not geardrives, she's gonna sprint better with the highflow oil pump. Our 03 went out @84k, it'll be a 120 next, (rollin dice with the devil) the new devilspit is better than the dope:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hannibal,
Did they give you any insight on how to avoid this in the future? I have an 06 with 20k and would like to learn from this. Glad to hear you're back on the road.
Thanks
McLuvin
Well, only to check the tensioner shoes more often than what is recommended from Harley. According to a few mechanics I talked to they said you should check the shoes every 25k. But I'm going to be watching mine every 5-10k from now on. For the cost of a gasket every other oil change is cheap insurance to keep an eye on it.

I suspect for the $2k you got the complete SE upgrade for stock shit but not geardrives, she's gonna sprint better with the highflow oil pump. Our 03 went out @84k, it'll be a 120 next, (rollin dice with the devil) the new devilspit is better than the dope:)
No I didn't get the SE stuff. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have. It would have saved me a couple hundred dollars in the long run...

·
Registered
654 Posts
The MOCO has a cam tensioner upgrade. Scream Eagle hydrolic cam tensioner plate. It comes with a new high flow oil pump as well. You could also consider gear driven cams. There is also a company called Cyco Gaskets. They have cam tensioner pads that last longer than the MOCO pads.

·
Registered
654 Posts
So I just got my bike back after having the Screaming Eagle hydrolic cam tensioner plate and high flow oil pump installed. Prior to the install the oil pressure on my 06 at 2000 RPM was about 30 psi. About 10 psi at idle. The new pump now gives about 38 to 40 psi at 2000 rpm and about 15 psi at idle. Holy dang, that thing actually works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts