Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted my EZ pass transponder in the glove box and saddle bag and it only registered once out of over a dozen toll booths.
Being very absent minded, I really don't want to put it somewhere visible.
Could it be a problem with the transponder?
Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
Do you have the white square one? Orientation may be the reason. Is there an arrow on it that shows you how it has to be oriented? It should read through the saddle bag or glove box as long as you go under the reader antenna.

I happen to be one of the few that has the long black bar ezpass. It has a tiny little arrow on it that show which end has to be up. When I had it in my windshield bag on my Road King, it wouldn't stay oriented up all the time and missed quite a few readers on every trip down the GSP. When I hung it with zip ties to my driving light bar, it never shipped one after that. I since bought the Road Glide, and I velcro it to my dash in the proper orientation and on our trip out to Sturgis, it didn't miss one, where my riding buddies with the white square had trouble at several tolls. Go figure, I can't explain it, so I just tell you my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

John

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I didn't even look at it to see if there is an orientation arrow but I will look when I get back to my bike.
My transponder is a white rectangular bar (Pa. Turnpike issue).

·
Registered
89 Posts
EZ Pass Transponder

I originally had it mounted in the left glove box. Sometimes it regestered, sometimes it didn't. I bought a handlebar mount for the new rectangular transponder and not it registers every time. The drawback is that it is exposed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine wouldn't work very well in my glove box and it also didn't work well in the chest pocket of my jacket. Last time I had the outer fairing off I mounted it inside on top of the radio and it's been working ever since.

Before that I had taken a sharpie and colored it black and stuck it on the inner fairing on top of the windshield.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mounted mine in the left glovebox to see if it would work. It did not register on any toll I went though this past weekend.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
IPass/EZPass

I have mine in the left glove box, and had one problem with it. They are speed sensitive, especially on a bike. If it says 5 MPH, they mean stop. Had to take mine out and wave it around once. Mine is not mounted, but sits velcro side up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a suction cup mount to hold it onto the inside of the windshield. I do this very rarely, only when I know I will be hitting multiple tolls on a trip. It usually sits in the left glove box and I can just throw it and the suction cup mount onto the dash for one toll. If the wife is with me, she hols it, then back into the glove box it goes. I bought the suction cup mount somewhere on I-90 on the way to Sturgis last year. The one I had broke, replacement was less than $5. By us they usually sell them in the Car Wash.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have mine in the left glove box, and had one problem with it. They are speed sensitive, especially on a bike. If it says 5 MPH, they mean stop. Had to take mine out and wave it around once. Mine is not mounted, but sits velcro side up.
I disagree with the speed sensitive part.
I guess you don't have any high speed toll lanes were you are at.
The NJ Turnpike, Rt. 1 in Delaware and the Harriman tolls on the NY Thruway are just a few that I know were you can go though the tolls are highway speed.
The EZ Pass is not speed sensitive.
Speed limits at tolls are only meant as a safety issue for the dummies that would crash because they can't fit the thread though the needle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine will not work in the glove box or saddlebag. I bought a handlebar mount at JP Cycles online and use that now. Very easy to switch back and forth between my truck and bike. I could also mount it with velcro on top of the radio head unit behind the windshield and that will work as well.

I have not tried inside the fairing but have heard that works also

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine did not work in the glove box or saddlebag. I moved it to the tour pack (Velcro) and with proper orientation of the arrow it worked every time....... until
my wife sat behind me. It did not register more than half the time with her on the bike. We found that if she leaned forward a good amount it worked every time.

Makes me think the transponder actually sends the signal up and forward a little.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have mine (the smaller candy-bar shaped transponder) in the right glove box. It registers in PA most of the time. It registered on my last Maine trip all except 3 tolls. Just register your plate with the pa dmv and if it doesn't register, no worries!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I put mine inside the fairing above the radio. Works every time and cannot be stolen.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just chuck mine in a saddle bag, sometimes it doesn't register...which I dont mind since they have my plate associated with the account . And if big brother also happened to miss the plate shot well that is just too bad...I figure we should be getting a 2 wheel discount anyway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you drive on the left of the lane stick it in the right glove box lid... and slow down when you get near the booth. It is activated before you enter the toll lane by a downward facing fan shaped thing that is mounted overhead over the center of the lane

·
Registered
714 Posts
I just chuck mine in a saddle bag, sometimes it doesn't register...which I dont mind since they have my plate associated with the account . And if big brother also happened to miss the plate shot well that is just too bad...I figure we should be getting a 2 wheel discount anyway.
Yeah, having the plate registered solves everything. *If* in PA you get a Motorcycle transponder, you DO get a discount. For the amount of times I use it though, I just use the one from my car.

I put mine inside the fairing above the radio. Works every time and cannot be stolen.
So is it the consensus that above the radio is THE spot to have it if its mounted permanently? Which type of transponder (candybar or coaster)?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, having the plate registered solves everything. *If* in PA you get a Motorcycle transponder, you DO get a discount. For the amount of times I use it though, I just use the one from my car.

So is it the consensus that above the radio is THE spot to have it if its mounted permanently? Which type of transponder (candybar or coaster)?
Mine looks like this one:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the same problem in NH. Light goes green then says toll not paid. I have called EZ Pass 3 times and told the same thing each time, "You have no violations. As long as it's registered to the vehicle you are all set." so now I go through with no worries.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the same problem and usually have to put it in my pocket and while going through the reader I have to hold it up in the sky and yes its a pain in the balls to have to do every time.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I keep mine in my left glove box. Works like a charm. Never had a problem with it... :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts