Road Glide banner

EZ Up center stand - a story of excellent customer service

5K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Jay2Beers 
#1 ·
Before I even picked up my new RGC motorcycle I had one of these on order. The build-quality, made in the U.S.A., the seemingly easy-to-engage You Tube video, and mostly the many posts here about what a stand-up guy the owner - Rod - is, all made me feel very easy about buying the product.

Unfortunately, I'm a cheap bastard. Well, not really, but when I buy something off the Internet (after I've done the research of course) I find the best deal I can. In this case that was from PowerSport Superstore.

So I get the stand in and sure as heck it looks like it's a quality build and installation could not have been easier and faster. Then came time to try it out. Easy up, my a$$. I could not get this center stand engage from a seated position at ALL. I think I actually got it to go up once and wrenched my back so bad that I couldn't walk for a week!

I was disappointed and more than a little annoyed at that You Tube video. I went and watched it again and noticed that the guy doing it is a gorilla and also it seems the bike is on a slight incline. I thought about taking the stand off and sending it back for refund but I was able to put the bike up when not sitting on it and it was still a center stand so I figured what the heck, I'll live with it.

About 2-weeks into owning and using it I went to put the bike up on the center stand one day only to have the long, angled metal arm break off almost causing me to drop the 850 pound bike on top of me! Needless to say, I was some p.o.'d.

I called up PowerSports Superstore and they (of course) just said to call the manufacturer. I called Wheel Dock - the makers of the EZ Up center stand and was explaining my situation to the guy. He asked me to check a couple things on the stand and sure enough I had the wrong size stand!!! He said that the stand I had was WAY too tall for my bike and no wonder I couldn't get the stand to engage easily.

What followed was several increasingly frustrated and heated phone calls as I tried to get PowerSports Superstore to refund my money but they were claiming no responsibility. Finally I called back EZ Up to see what they might be able to do for me. I ended up talking with the owner, Rod, and learned some very interesting things: First of all, these after-market resellers are some real fly-by-night operations. Rod informed me that he is no longer selling to many of them for just this reason. He mentioned several by name and all of them were ones I had considered purchasing from because they were the least expensive.

He asked me to send the stand in to him and he would evaluate it what he could do for me. He said that if the stand could be repaired he would do so and then just charge me for the repair and then shipping for the new, and correct stand back to me. I sent out the stand and a week later got a call from a woman that said they were going to repair the stand for free, charge me a $20 re-stocking fee and ship me a new and correct center stand for another $12. Needless to say, I was ecstatic! The new stand just arrived and it took all of a minute to install (having already gone through the process) and this thing works SLICK! It truly IS easy to put up!!!

Lessons learned - Rod IS a stand-up guy. He makes a great product. I would recommend buying direct from him or one of his APPROVED suppliers. These are listed on his web site. This stand works GREAT and is everything I'd hoped it would be. I can put the bike up on the center stand even with the wife on the back very easily.

Thanks so much, Rod. You make a great product!

Photos of the stand pre and post installation:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Good to hear that you were properly taken care of. That's why when I find a reliable & trust worthy store or seller, I tend to buy from them even if their prices might be a little higher. Customer service is more valuable then a couple of dollars saved. JMO.

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
After the third paragraph, I pretty much knew you had received the wrong size as it's been discussed on here quite a few times before. Glad the owner is such a stand up guy. He went way beyond what was reasonable, considering he didn't sell it to you in the first place. Hopefully his actions and your post will pay off for him in the long run. Glad you like the unit, been thinking about one myself. Thanks for the write-up.

#5 ·
I can attest that Rod is very much a stand up guy. WheelDock is local to me and I've spoke to him at their facility on several occasions - really nice guy and genuinely concerned about customer satisfaction. They did all my powdercoating for me (a service they really don't advertise), and they went out of their way to do a top notch job. Extremely reasonable as well ... something like 40+ separate pieces for less than $150.

#6 ·
Very cool. Good story with a good outcome. You got what you wanted, won't be trash'n his product now & he got an endorsement of his product on one of his targeted audiences. Good investment on his part.

Getting one has been on my list of things to add when the $$ is available. I'll be sure to deal directly with him or one of his endorsed distributors.​

#7 ·
They will price match the cheapest price you find. The cheapest I had found it for was thru Amazon (powersport superstore), but the listing said it would not fit my bike even though it was the right part#. I called wheeldock and they matched the price and sent me the correct one. Great product.

#8 ·
Same company, same problem. only difference, I tried it once and knew it was wrong. Called Powersports and they shrugged me off. Called Rod and he exchanged it, no problem except the $32.00 extra for shipping both ways. Sould have bought direct from EZ-UP.

#9 · (Edited)
Yep Rod’s a nice guy. I put one on my SERG after seeing them at Sturgis this year. I could not get the bike get on the center stand as well without being off the bike. Once on the center stand I couldn’t ride it off; I call Ez-Up and spoke to Rod he told me to cut off the second foot- plate installed for the SERG. I need new boots (tires), once I get back to Houston I will fit them first before doing any cutting and see what happens with the Ez-Up.:)

#10 ·
I have a question I have one of these stands and I have it on my 2011 RGU
Here in my with the cold and the sandy storm I think I'm done for the year so my thing is how can I get the bike front and rear wheels off the ground with this stand and not worry about falling off.

#11 ·
Great Customer Service

Rod replace my unit after 4 years due to the lip disappearing (maybe a speed bump). Sent the old one in and received a new one back. That is standing behind your product and great customer service.

#12 ·
That is good info, been thinking of this company - saw at bike show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.