Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at jumping back into a truck after a decade or so. Leaning towards the Supercrew in a XLT with the FX4 package. Drove the 3.5 and the 2.7 Ecoboost. The 3.5 definitely has more grunt up top which I appreciate being that 90 percent of my driving is on the highway. Will not do a lot of towing so the standard tow package will suffice for my needs. I briefly considered the 5.0 Coyote motor, but honestly it seems pretty dated and performance wise the Ecoboost puts up similar numbers with better fuel economy and tons of aftermarket support.

So that said, anybody have any input or package "must haves" that I should be looking at? Any real world experience with the current generation, things to look out for or issues?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I just bought a 2019 F150 King Ranch w/ FX4, Max Tow, and other stuff. It has the 3.5 EcoBeast motor. I think you'd be fine with the 2.7 EB unless you really want the extra oomph.
The max tow pkg was worth it to me as it netted me the 36 gallon fuel tank and the 3.5 EB. For as much as I drive, I was filling the Explorer 3-4x weekly. Now I can get over 700 miles in a tank of gas. With a 100+ mile round trip commute, that makes me happy to not refill so often.
the FX4 pkg is questionable. If you aren't taking it off road, why the need to add more weight with the skid plates? You also get better shocks and other stuff, but not sure I see the value in it. Will depend on where you want to drive it.

The F150Forum.com would net you more responses (and confusion! :grin:) There ar ea lot of builds with the XLT configuration. Worth looking there. almost too much information, so I don't really post there, but search for what I want, such as the builds and reviews. The great thing about the F150 is that you can take a lower trim vehicle and equip much like a Limited or Platinum. By going with the XLT or Lariat, you can spec it out to get just the options you want or feel the need for. The wife and I have always admired the appearance of the King Ranch and that interior, so that is where we went.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Im stupid impressed with that 5.0. You simply cant kill them. The mustangs are boosting the 5.0 with 17lbs of boost and spanking 10 second quarter mile times then going home and picking the family up and going on vacation.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm kinda old school when it comes to this, "There's no replacement for displacement". I have a 2010, the last of the 5.4. Sure there are issues with the cam phasers and spark plugs, but I only get 16 mpg when driving like grandma. My work truck 2016 F350 has a 6.2 gaser, 12 MPG. Thank God I'n not paying for gas.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, did I mention the Roush supercharger availability that maintains the factory warranty (if installed by a dealer or ASE Master Certified Tech) and makes the 5 liter Coyote a 600+ HP street sweeper!
I'm trying to be responsible here Brad, so just stop. lol!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I bought a 2018 Lariat 5.0 super crew FX4 with the 10 speed and the 3.73 gear set 502A package new off the dealer lot.
I love this truck. Probably the best truck I have ever owned. Gets 18.5 MPG average and sounds great with the MBRP dual rear exit exhaust. I get around 12.5 MPG while towing my race car with the 20ft open tilting bed trailer and all the gear for the track.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,623 Posts
.... So that said, anybody have any input or package "must haves" that I should be looking at? Any real world experience with the current generation, things to look out for or issues?
PM BobRG15, he bought an XLT earlier this year. He probably doesn't have a lot of mileage yet as it spends a lot of time being towed by an RV, but Bob will give you the "No BS" story of it's +/- issues. I drove it last Saturday and it rode very well. Can't comment on it's cornering ability as I live in Florida where the road is straight and the people are crooked - well, not all of them.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Check out some Ford forums. Didn't they have serious problems with the 10 speed transmissions? My buddy is a vehicle maintenance mechanic for the state and they took delivery on a few 10 speed f150's and they had some problems with. Everything was still warrantied but it's something to look into

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I briefly considered the 5.0 Coyote motor, but honestly it seems pretty dated and performance wise the Ecoboost puts up similar numbers with better fuel economy and tons of aftermarket support.
I've heard plenty of descriptions of the Coyote platform, but never ever heard that it was a dated platform. The aftermarket if equal to the LS and that's saying a lot. MY ecoboost Explorer had good fuel mileage on the window sheet, but the motor develops so much torque off idle I couldn't keep my right foot out of it.....maybe a responsible adult can and will get great fuel mileage, but I couldn't. It was a fun ride. I traded it in at 50K, never had an issue with it other than the exhaust tone

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I've heard plenty of descriptions of the Coyote platform, but never ever heard that it was a dated platform. The aftermarket if equal to the LS and that's saying a lot. MY ecoboost Explorer had good fuel mileage on the window sheet, but the motor develops so much torque off idle I couldn't keep my right foot out of it.....maybe a responsible adult can and will get great fuel mileage, but I couldn't. It was a fun ride. I traded it in at 50K, never had an issue with it other than the exhaust tone
The EB 3.5 motor in the truck is even more stout than was in my 2017 Explorer. 375 hp and 450 lb ft in most cases. The high output 3.5 in Limited and Raptor models has 450 hp and 510 lb ft. So far, I am getting better fuel economy in my F-150 King Ranch than in my Explorer. Go figure since it is a heavier vehicle and has more power. And you are correct.... it is hard to keep your foot out of the throttle and thankfully the truck sounds better than the Explorer (But not as good as the Coyote 5.0 in our Mustang GT!).

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The EB 3.5 motor in the truck is even more stout than was in my 2017 Explorer. 375 hp and 450 lb ft in most cases. The high output 3.5 in Limited and Raptor models has 450 hp and 510 lb ft. So far, I am getting better fuel economy in my F-150 King Ranch than in my Explorer. Go figure since it is a heavier vehicle and has more power. And you are correct.... it is hard to keep your foot out of the throttle and thankfully the truck sounds better than the Explorer (But not as good as the Coyote 5.0 in our Mustang GT!).
This is what I traded my Explorer on, yeah the exhaust sounds a bit better

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts