Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone considering moving beyond the 14" bars that will fit with the stock brake and clutch line may want to know two significant obstacles you will want to factor time for.

#1 Removing the cover from the hydraulic actuator will most likely require that you loosen the stock headpipe. The cover can be unbolted but it will not clear the headpipe due to the position of the Cat converter. So you will need to remove or loosen the headpipe. This is alluded to in the service manual as well.

#2 The front right exhaust nut is a bitch to get at because it is directly inline with the frame. It is still 1/2 Nut but a standard socket will not work as the stud sticks out to far from the exhaust flange so you need a deep socket BUT that will not clear due to the frame being inline. So in my case I had to loosen the front exhaust nut with a 1/2 open wrench. Slower but doable but also leave time.

#3 So now you have the cosmetic cover off the clutch actuator and your ready to run the clutch line. Great but just know that the 2017 Touring bike WILL NOT accept a aftermarket hydraulic clutch line. They changed the connector and the the Harley clutch hose has a convex tip and the commonly available (Sterling, Barnett etc) clutch lines that have been used for years up to 2016 have a convex tip. It will thread in but will not seal. So now your 90% through the job and you need to call Harley for a extended clutch hose and most be sure that you tell the parts guy it MUST be for the 2017.

Long story short, I got it all apart and had to put it all back together using the stock hydraulic line and keeping the 14" bars in pace for another few days as I await the proper hose from Harley this week.

Love the new 2017 but there are a couple of unique differences away from the obvious that come with a new engine.

#4 The clutch and brake levers are also different so make sure you get one that will mount properly to a 2017. The change is that the 2017 has the little molded cup on both levers to operate the pistons on the clutch and brake. Past versions had a cup for one master cylinder and a tab for the other.

#5 Wiring the 16" bars was simple just required the purchase of the wire extension kit for $24 which was plug and play. The throttle cable has more than enough line to fit on 16" bars/

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok update on the install.

#1. You do not have to remove the exhaust. Just remove the bolt that secures the cross pipe under the bike and the the 1/2 bolts that hold the mufflers on. That will give you enough flex to be Able to remove the transmission side cover with the exhaust in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts