Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought 14in Factory 47 signature bars and am considering installing them myself. Any tips or tricks out there that might help my install on my 2016 RG special. Thanks

·
Registered
753 Posts
Upgrade to poly bushings while you're in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
X1. I did my own also. First touring bike owned. 12" factory 47, same year and model bike. Watched factory 47 you tube video, no problems. Be patient on the throttle side...it will go through...take your time

·
Registered
324 Posts
They are pretty easy to install. Did my own...running the wires was probably he most difficult but take your time. Definitely replace he bushings. I'm not sure if others had this issue but with mine, the fork lock seemed to stick after installing he bars...I looked at it over the winter and found the bars rubbing on the gauge dash. Shaved a little off to make them fit and problem solved...maybe I was the only one that had that issue. I posted a YouTube video of my fix. Also you can see my bike with my bars here.

FYI..your going to love these bars.

https://youtu.be/cConBm9tjVo
https://youtu.be/B25HpPTxfa4

·
Registered
106 Posts
I found that I needed a heavier duty solid cable for pulling the wires through. Started out with the pull chain like in the video and it kept breaking, so went back and bought solid cable and that got the cable to come through.

Bill

·
Registered
753 Posts
just wondering the reason why does one have to upgrade the bushings? Also what is a good brand to go with for them??

The 2 main reasons I've heard are height and weight. Aftermarket bars are heavier therefore more stress on stock rubber bushings. Also taller bars shake more than shorter bars (if you can imagine the arc of a circle, bigger bar = bigger arc). A lot of bar manufacturers sell them and easily found at any of the only guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
just wondering the reason why does one have to upgrade the bushings? Also what is a good brand to go with for them??
You don't really HAVE to upgrade. I used the stock rubber for a few years and two different bar upgrades. Didn't bother me at all. Only switched to poly this time to see what all the fuss is about. Honestly, for me, it's one of those mods that doesn't do much for me. That being said, they were only $10 so why not? I think maybe some folks bikes had loose risers from the dealer setup. I never noticed enough riser movement to bother me. Whatever brand you can find cheap. I found Arlen ness poly for $10 on amazon,I think it was amazon.

·
Registered
129 Posts
While your at it, order the Limited heated grips and save yourself from having to do it twice. Ask how I know. All the plugs are already there. Plug and play. Just a thought. Good luck on the install. Note: Keep and eye on the bottom of the bend to the hand grips. It will rust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts