Road Glide banner

Factory 47 Malo Bars 14" or 16"? Review?

28K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  BRIT206 
#1 ·
Hey guys happy Easter.

Before I get eaten up, yes I KNOW there are a TON of posts about bars (even the Factory 47's specifically apparently) but I am getting a little overwhelmed finding and reading them all so I figured I would try and find some fresh opinions.

So, a have a 2012 RG Custom and I have done a TON of stuff, all that's left is the bars. I have spent probably 6 months looking at different apes, riding anybody's bike who will let me with different bars, reading reviews and etc and I just can't commit. That being said, I LOVE the Malo's by Factory 47 and I think those could be the ones, but of course, I cannot for the life of me find anyone with any to try or even sit on.

So, two questions, first of all - anybody that has them, do you love them? Anything you wish was different about them?

Second, and yes I know it is difficult to answer just humor me, what size should I be looking at? I am 6 foot tall, ride very upright most always because of my back (slipped disk) and I have the adjustable rider backrest. I was looking at probably 14"s or 16"s, as I am assuming the 12"s just won't cut it.

Any and all help is greatly greatly appreciated,

Thanks!!

https://www.factory47cycles.com/products/malobar

See less See more
#2 ·
I have factory 47's in 14 ". At 6'3 they are right at shoulder level and very comfortable. If I had to do it over again I probably would have went 16". I just didn't want to spend the money on cables and wires.
The drawback, to me, with the factory 47s is, everybody has them. 3 out of the 7 or 8 people I ride with have them now. Had a set of Carlini menace on my heritage and I might go back to them if/when I change to 16's.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. The commonality isn't something I thought about actually so that is a good point.
Is the reason you would potentially go to the 16's because the 14's are just not quite high enough? Because if so, I am about 3" shorter than you are, they may work perfect for me. If it is a position/comfort thing though, perhaps I will look at the Carlini's. I know that they are very nice as well, although I would do the 1.5" versus the 1.25" I think for sure .
What do you like about the Menaces over the Malo's?

#4 ·
The big draw for me with Carlinis is originality and I like the thicker bars. I'm not 100 % sure but I think you would have to change risers also, unless they neck down. The pull back on them was also very comfortable and the quality was top notch.
As far as height goes, I think I could easily do 18's. I personally don't like bars that high over the fairing. At your height I wouldn't be worried about 16's, it is more of what you like verse how it looks. I don't think I've ever heard any one say "I wish I would have went shorter"

#11 ·
Keep an eye on the width between the 14" and 16"...I am running 16" on my 17 RGU and noticed right away that my hands are out in the airstream a good amount compared to stock. I am 6'7" and the 16" are comfortable, keeps me sitting straight...little lower than my shoulders...better than stock though.

#16 ·
You know what it's funny you say that man because I was thinking that as I compared all those bars as well... The 16" Malo's run 38.5" wide, while the 14" Malo's run 37". So an inch and half wider on those which doesn't seem like a lot nut I know can probably make a huge difference in wind exposure, comfort and probably low speed handling. At 6'7 I am sure the 16"s are about the lowest you can realistically go anyway lol

#17 ·
So I THINK i am gonna go with the 16" rise as far as height.... it seems everybody that runs them (of various heights) loves them , and I have read more than once about the 14"s that people had 'wished they had gone taller'.

Now I just need to decide between the Menace by Carlini, and the Malo's by F47. I literally love both for different reasons, and I think they both would look good.

One thing I did notice is that the width on the 16"s from F47 are 38.5", while the width on the Menace bars are only 36". I know that that is like substantially different.... I have not ridden either, not for lack of trying, and I do not think at this point I am going to get to either, so what about some opinions on that? Pros and cons to going a little narrower versus a little wider at 16" height? If it helps, remember I am running a 2012 RG Custom with a tiny windshield which yes I could switch out if needed for looks and etc (about 5" blacked out).

Any opinions on if I should swoop the chrome or the all black are welcome as well....my bike is Sedona Orange with a matte black Vance and Hines exhaust system, chrome everything else ???

#22 ·
That looks pretty damn good my friend. The 14"s in the first two pictures look almost perfect, literally making me wonder if the 16"s may be overkill with the shark fairing and etc.

The chrome also looks bad ass, JUST as I had almost commited to the black ones! Lol

#23 ·
I have the F47 Malos in 16" on my 06. One of the best things I ever did. I also, did a TON of research and reading before I ordered them. The only con for me is that you have to buy cables, but other than that......you won't regret them.

Overwhelmingly the consensus out there is if you're torn between two sizes....go with the larger one.

#26 ·
I guess the Malo's are by far the popular choice between those two anyway.... and yeah I mean I am really not worried about the new cables and etc on my bike if I am being totally honest it would probably make me feel much better knowing everything was brand new with the new bars from the jump anyway... what is it probably 300 bucks more or something?

#27 ·
So the F47 Malo's are clearly MUCH more popular than the Carlinis... I think they drop down a little further in the top as Well?

Does anybody have any pics of the Carlini Menace Apes they could share on here so I could compare ? Yes I have done the Google image thing, but it just isn't the same,
Thanks in advance !

#30 ·
I don't think Factory 47 is doing the Malos in 16" anymore. I wanted them for my '12 Custom and was told that they discontinued them because they were too similar to the 18" Maddogger. This was direct from F47 when I tried to order. Ended up going with Yaffe Monkey Bars instead.
When did you try and order them? They seem to be available now, I just checked again - https://www.factory47cycles.com/products/malobar.

And yeah I like how the Yaffes look as well but I have heard from SO many people that they are an absolute nightmare to install, the quality control has gone downhill, and the customer service/support sucks.
Hopefully you haven't had any of those issues

#37 ·
I have the F47 16" signature bars on my 2018 RGS. I am 5'9" and absolutely love them. Was thinking the 14" would be good but everywhere I read on this forum said that if you are thinking 14's go with 16's so that is what I did. AND the best part was that I only need to buy wire extensions, NO NEW CABLES NEEDED! Install only took about 2 hours start to finish.

#40 ·
So I ordered the 16" Malo's three weeks ago on back order... they literally JUST updated their website saying that they will be shipped by the 28th of June.

I am very excited of course HOW EVER, I recently discovered the 18" Maddoggers from the same guys (F47), and I do have the option of changing the order from the Malos to the Maddoggers for free and have them ship on the same date.

The only reason I am into these right now is because they are a custom bar that has an 18" rise... BUT they drop down to a 16" hand height, with what looks like a much more comfortable wrist angle on em, and they are slightly narrower, which I may like, but I am having one hell of a mental fight with myself about them now and I need some advice lmao.

I posted twice in a separate thread already about this and had almost no luck so I figured I would try my luck here since I got so much valuable advice and pictures and etc before.

Anybody with the maddoggers? At this point, even on another bike would be fine. If not, even just an opinion would be great, I will include a few pictures of the RG with the Doggers on em for reference.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.